Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OT: Dumbing down: Who's really to blame?


Sepiatone
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

The Phyllis Diller thread posted by someone who goes by the handle "MOVIES2CB4UDIE", just by that handle alone, along with how most of the post was written, brings up the notion that there's a generation of people who can't seem to spell because they use numbers (2, 4, U) to replace words. In this case, the words "to", "for", and "you". Many who pretend expertise in this sort of thing try to blame the "text phenomenom" for this increasing word corruption, but giving it a bit more thought, I wonder if we can blame current trends for such nonsense?

 

 

I easily can recall, as a very young child, seeing signs back then and over the years that may have put such gears into action. For years, there's been a restraunt(now defunct) that had, in big neon letters, a sign that informed it was "Bob"s B-B-Cue". Instead of "barbeque". I supposed financially, it was more prudent to do so, but it was towards the forefront of a continuing trend.

 

 

Over time, I've seen signs for businesses such as "E-Z LUBE", "E-Z LOANS", E-Z LAUNDROMAT", "X-PRESS CLEANERS" and such. In the 1970's, there was a business on a main drag in my area called, "BI-RITE APPLIANCES", which to me conjured up images of stoves and refridgerators that swing both ways. And how many signs in front of defunct gas stations turned Discount Flowers advertised "BOKAYS" instead of "Bouquets"? And all of this YEARS BEFORE there was such a thing as TEXTING? Even before texting people had reduced the language by coming up with LOL, OMG, BFF and the like through use of online "chat" rooms.

 

 

So, who's REALLY to blame for such corruption of the written word?

 

 

Sepiatone

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really don't mind the cute shortcuts like EZ in advertising, but I do think the abbreviations are more prevalent in this age of the internet.

 

What blows my mind that cursive writing is no longer taught in schools. It seems like I read that only about 20% of the country writes in cursive these days. Another pet peeve--not knowing proper grammar, such as past, present & future tense which I assume should be learned by fifth grade. I don't mean typographical errors either, which I'm prone to make because of typing on a android pad.

 

I am guilty of sometimes ending a sentence with a preposition. Nobody's perfect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OMG, U R RITE - XXOO :)

 

So true, so true. I have been seeing these abominations of the English language for more decades than I care to mention, but SciFi------>SyFy bothers me the most. Probably because SciFi was bad enough, but the morons who couldn't, WHAT, remember SciFi had to have it shortened to SyFy?

 

Maybe we can blame Western Union, which charged customers by the word/letter?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

U sure R 1 picky fella, R'nt ya Sepia??? ;)

 

Okay, actually I agree with ya a bit here.

 

(...but PLEASE let's us NOT go back to puttin' the superfluous letter "u" back into words that REALLY don't need 'em, like those poor folks do across the pond AND up there above the 49th Parallel...OKAY???!!!)

 

LOL

 

;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well just the fact the posters handle begins with MOVIE should tell one the poster loves movies. :)

 

My handle tells you my hobby. There are some member names that seems to be a jumble of letters and can't make out the meaning of the handle.

 

What does everyones handle stands for?

 

By the way, if Phyllis Diller was a member would her handle be badhairday? :^0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorting out the mess involves several steps. First, the people have to be made safe so that there is no risk of further collapse. Faced with a moral quagmire of almost biblical proportions, what should be done? One of the suggestions is a costly Leveson-style public inquiry. The second step is to carry out the government's agreed “long grass” reform which should stop contamination between cultural change and or toughening regulation.

Last, but not least we will launch a consultation on criminal sanctions for directors of any "text phenomenon"



"phenomenon"
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If someone's using CUL8R in a short message, fine. To put such things in a long message is, to my mind, totally inane. You're either texting or writing, and never the twain shall meet.

 

There's also a lot of confusion about what some of the shortened versions mean. I've asked a dozen people what IDK stands for, and they all say "I don't know."

 

Wasn't there a line in a Jack Lemmon movie about a We B Food sign on a supermarket?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=helenbaby wrote:}{quote} Another pet peeve--not knowing proper grammar, such as past, present & future tense which I assume should be learned by fifth grade.

 

A fifth-grader's brain is too tense - too tense the size of an adult brain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Ham, in other forums and on some poke sites I'm known as "Whitefang", a name culled from my favorite character from the old Soupy Sales TV show. I'm "Sepiatone" here because I was told the former was already taken, and I thought making the photo finish technique into one word would fit in this place.

 

 

My confusion is with those who place random numbers after their handles. For example, my brother, a long time truck driver, went by the e-name "Mack2709". When I asked him what the 2709 was about, he said it was nothing, just thought it looked good.

 

 

???

 

 

I didn't know they no longer teach cursive in schools( in MY day, it was called "script"). Some of the late teen and early 20something young adults in my family possess the talent of having beautiful looking cursive penmanship that's somehow STILL illegible. But DAMN! It looks good!

 

 

I can understand the use of initials in texting( There's a word for it I keep forgetting). I DO have a problem with it seeping out into formal speech. I know it's quicker and less costly( I don't text, but I'm told that each letter has a charge or so) to text OMG, than to spell out "Oh, My God". But it takes NO extra time to SAY either. So it strikes me as the apex of stupidity to SAY "OMG" when conversing with others. Or any of the others. I've actually HEARD someone say, "LOL" in conversation!

 

 

Sometimes, to kill time and excersize my mind and playing fingers(guitar), I write songs. No threat to Dylan and Mitchell, but it's fun to do. I wrote one called "Alphabet Man" that lampoons the whole topic, and was surprised what I've been able to come up with in the proccess.

 

 

Look, I'm not an expert grammarian myself(if that's even a word), but I always try. But when you see or hear examples of poor speech even from the efforts of those who make a LIVING with words, it seems an uphill endeavor. Movies and television dialogue in which people say they "could care less" when it's clear they COULDN'T. People asking for approval for something they did when it's clear they are really offering an explanation( "Well, I didn't BOOK with Travelocity, OK??"). And WHEN did the word "NO" become "NOAH"? Don't know what I mean? Listen closely. Even on the TV show "The Chew", the panel of "food experts" have been heard referring to something they called "sherbert", something I don't think exists.

 

 

An English teacher of mine in high school explained this; When asked what difference it makes whether you speak with good grammar or not in the big picture, His answer was that if you speak properly, you'll come off as more intelligent. Even if THAT'S not true. You might be the best electronics technichian within a 90 mile radius, but if, in the job interview, you SOUND like a street thug, you'll wind up flipping burgers or delivering pizza. In HIS words, "If you can't blind them with your BRILLIANCE, then DAZZLE them with your BS!"

 

 

Sepiatone

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> Movies and television dialogue in which people say they "could care less" when it's clear they COULDN'T.

 

That's a dumbing down from long ago. The phrase was originally "As if I could care less." In speech, the "as if" became implied by facial expression and intonation. Some clueless hipsters wrote only what they heard, and it became an inept part of the lexicon.

 

> if you speak properly, you'll come off as more intelligent.

 

Cue Henry Higgins! ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sepiatone wrote:

<< I didn't know they no longer teach cursive in schools( in MY day, it was called "script"). >>

 

I have a Color Computer III word processor, *Max 10* that was one of the first that displayed and prints out anything you type in the cursive (italic) format. Shows even back then how important this was.

 

About the constant dumbing down in our schools, they are doing away with pencil, pen and paper and relying only on laptops and smartpads.

Kids will be lucky to be able to sign their own names. :(

 

Cursive writing was taught big time in the school I went to during the 1960's People writing this well today is becoming a thing of the past

 

ecmills_01.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, Whitefang and Blacktooth. I wish I still had my letter from Frank Nastasi, the hand behind the puppets.

 

When I read that they are no longer teaching cursive - too taxing for the little darlings? - I immediately wondered how these folks would sign forms when they get older. I doubt that the DMV will be texting their form to the new driver across the counter so the new driver can text back their John Hancock? Then again, what do I know.

 

Sepiatone, I get lazy, I admit it. I use many shortcuts since the advent of the Internet and have forgotten many grammatical rules over the years. But quite true, when I hear Alton Brown and Jacques Pepin using 'you know?' at the end of sentences, I have to shake my head. What really annoys me are the shows that are replete with expletives, almost always challenges or car/motorcycle shows. The expletives are DELETED, so what was the point of using them in every single sentence? I doubt these people talk like this in real life - then again, what do I know!

 

My '25' was the amount of years in which I thought I was going to be free from 'the man'. When it turned out to be '33', I was too worn out to change my id.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TCMfan23 wrote verbatim: oh great , another off topic thread.

 

has every one forgotten ? You're on the Turner Classic Movies board.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Excuse me here TCMfan23, but it appears you especially could benefit from reading this thread in its entirety.

 

And, THAT'S 'cause it appears you don't know OR have forgotten that the first freakin' letter of the first freakin' word in any freakin' sentence should be CAPITALIZED!

 

ROFL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>helenbaby wrote: I don't mean typographical errors either, which I'm prone to make because of typing on a android pad.

>

>I am guilty of sometimes ending a sentence with a preposition. Nobody's perfect.

Helping a girlfriend with a blog, rewriting is big problem. When she changes one word, she wasn't realizing the tense could have changed too. Mama mia...

 

Some will deparage the blogs and such, but from what I see, people are writing again, on subjects they love with knowledge, depth and entertaining to boot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I failed cursive. Not because the letters weren't formed well. My writing was beautiful. But, being left-handed, the teacher said I held my pen/pencil to paper -and paper not turn to hard to the right- it was not to standard, so automatic fail.

 

She said, "Charlotte, it's such a shame you couldn't learn to write correctly--your letters are pretty." Never forgot that.

 

One of my hobbies now is calligraphy- italic, uncial, and gothic styles are my favorties. Still hold the pen and paper how I please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

casablancalover2 wrote:

<< I failed cursive. Not because the letters weren't formed well. My writing was beautiful. But, being left-handed, the teacher said I held my pen/pencil to paper -and paper not turn to hard to the right- it was not to standard, so automatic fail. >>

 

That what the teacher did is unfair, unjust and matter of fact cruel. You and other left handed people can not help that they are born left handed. There should have been allowances made and it shouldn't matter if the writing has a right/left slant or straight up and down. If its very good as she said then that should have been enough.

 

This reminds me of the old Catholic private schools that use to *force* left handed students to write with their right hand - regardless! Has something to do with taken a passage w-a-a-y out of context.

 

My writing is striaght up and down. Hate to think the tortures some of our celebrities had in school.

 

sigs_081707.jpg

 

 

Tip to left handed people - Use the BIC pen, its fast drying formula resist smearing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What drive me up the wall are acronyms. It has gotten to the point that companies and organizations advertise and identify themselves by their initials and no longer by what they stand for. The worst is diseases. "You might have PDH. Or EZT. Or, gad, maybe even SRO!! Well, you need to get a year's supply of MLK now. Not tomorrow. NOW! That's N-O-W!"

 

I even remember when my company used to be known as the Columbia Broadcasting System!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm with you Ray. Especially when I hear news media refer to the "Fed"....the Federal WHAT? Government? Reserve? Taxation? Why can't people say what they mean? What if US English was my second language?

 

I think many abbreviations have come about because of cost, as in the BBQ example stated earlier. Texting originally cost "by the charactor", hence "U" for "you". Now it's just laziness. And my fear is kids think "lite" is a correct spelling.

 

Kids not knowing cursive actually comes in handy when parents need to leave each other notes the kids can't read-it's almost like a secret code! But in old movies, I actually have to whisper read any cursive message on screen for the kids.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...