Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndyM108

MACK SENNETT SHORTS SCHEDULING

Having looked at both Now Playing and the online TCM program guide for tomorrow, I'm wondering when the breaks are going to be between those Mack Sennett shorts.

Are they going to be like The Perils of Pauline, with one introductory announcement per set and then consecutive screenings with no break in between? If so, then will new sets begin at 8, 9, 11, and 2, with Tillie's Punctured Romance at 12:45? That's what Now Playing seems to indicate.

I'm sure hoping so, because otherwise I'd hate to think what I'm going to be greeted with on Friday morning when I finalize those overnight DVDs. Can anyone please confirm that what I described above is accurate? Thanks.

I can't confirm or deny since I don't work there but it seems that once before when a lot of silent shorts were featured one month (I want to say maybe DW Griffith or Hal Roach) that one intro for every few that was shown. Intro--4 or 5 shorts--then out remarks.

AndyM108 -

I don't think anyone here will know for sure. It is possible that additional "breaks"/ intros will be placed inside the longer blocks of shorts. (90 mins. or longer)

The only aspect that I would bet on is that there will be a full "Feature Presentation" intro at 8pm, 9pm, 11pm, 12:45am and maybe even at 2am.

Would it be that terrible if there were one or two additional introductions within the longer segments?

If it is any help, you can see the titles being shown within each programming block on the daily schedule page.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2012-09-06

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}AndyM108 -

>

> I don't think anyone here will know for sure. It is possible that additional "breaks"/ intros will be placed inside the longer blocks of shorts. (90 mins. or longer)

>

> The only aspect that I would bet on is that there will be a full "Feature Presentation" intro at 8pm, 9pm, 11pm, 12:45am and maybe even at 2am.

>

> Would it be that terrible if there were one or two additional introductions within the longer segments?

>

> If it is any help, you can see the titles being shown within each programming block on the daily schedule page.

> http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2012-09-06

Thanks for that link.

Clicking "Expand" on each of the shorts slated to start at 8:00 pm revealed their durations and the total is only 49 minutes ... those running between 9:00 and 11:00 only total 83 minutes ... so I smell "breaks" in there somewhere.

Unfortunately, it may require a divining rod to determine exactly where they'll be.

Alas, allot of the earlier Keystone stuff is not all that great. As we get into the second half of the Teen's though the films become much more memorable. Especially looking forward to the premiere of Mabel Normand's MICKEY (1918). A huge hit in it's day. This is a feature not a short. Also excited to see the Ben Turpin and Bathing Beauties titles. To my the best of my knowledge this will be the first time that any of Harry Langdon's Silent Two-reelers have ever been shown on TCM. Excluding excerpts found in a couple Robert Youngson compilations.

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}Having looked at both Now Playing and the online TCM program guide for tomorrow, I'm wondering when the breaks are going to be between those Mack Sennett shorts.

>

> Are they going to be like The Perils of Pauline, with one introductory announcement per set and then consecutive screenings with no break in between? If so, then will new sets begin at 8, 9, 11, and 2, with Tillie's Punctured Romance at 12:45? That's what Now Playing seems to indicate.

>

>

> I'm sure hoping so, because otherwise I'd hate to think what I'm going to be greeted with on Friday morning when I finalize those overnight DVDs. Can anyone please confirm that what I described above is accurate? Thanks.

>

Can't you review and edit your recorded DVDs before you finalize them?

I use a DVD recorder which also contains an excellent editor. Using this editor, it is a simple matter to run through the four hours and fourteen minutes (recorded at nominal LP speed on a DVD-RW disc with VR to get those extra fourteen minutes) of recording, in much less time than this, and give those breaks a well-deserved break. May they rest in piece(s).......

musikone

TCM's messed up scheduling isn't helping.

It sure isn't. The order of the shorts within each time slot has nothing to do with the order in which they're listed on the online schedule. And the running times shown are also meaningless. You see three "10 min." shorts listed to fill up a 90 minute time slot.

It's easy to solve this for Prime Time by just observing the titles in real time as they appear and then marking down where they start on your disk. But beginning with the second disk and the third (11:00 PM) time slot, I just pre-set each time slot in a separate track and will review the disk to find out the order they were played in. Not easy, but I can't think of any other method. You'd think TCM would be able to tell us the actual order and the actual running times, but I guess not. It's the only downside to an otherwise great mini-festival, which seems to include a *lot* of premieres.

These were very interesting, most are never shown on television or anywhere.

It's interesting to compare these to the Griffith films of the same era.

And also interesting that the names of the actors didn't seem to be important back then.

I wonder what the public, who had never seen anything like this before, thought of the cars going over the cliff and falling all apart, yet everyone in the cars get up and walk away. I guess a lot of people thought that stuff actually happened, since they didn't yet know about editing and "special effects".

Fred,

Again, the Sennett Films, and also an Roscoe Arbuckle Anthology will be coming out on DVD from Cine Museum sometime in the coming months. Probably early next year. I doubt that the set will be out this year yet. Time is running short.

As we got into 1916 and '17 the quality of the films improved dramatically. I loved all three of the Arbuckle's. Especially, the Waiters Ball. I commented yesterday that FATTY AND MABEL ADRIFT, and TEDDY AT THE THROTTLE with Gloria Swanson were both Two-reelers, not One reelers. But I didn't notice that most of the others were also two reelers, with only one reel running times listed on the schedule. Throwing everything off track.

The Ben Turpin film, A CLEVER DUMMY which I had not seen before was just hilarious and highly innovative. We want more Ben! It would be great if this same company could bring us the fully restored A SMALL TOWN IDOL (1921). Possibly Turpin's best feature film with a huge supporting cast of greats. Even in it's abriviated form it's one of the funniest films I've seen. A 35 Millimeter print, hopefully complete was recently uncovered in Russia.

Oh, Syd Chaplin's Gag with the leg blew me away! And I wondered immediately why on earth Charlie never used it? Just hysterical!

Looking forward to the premiere of the Mabel Normand feature MICKEY (1918) next week. One of her most popular and beloved films. Long unavailable in decent prints. I never thought I would see this on TCM. THE EXTRA GIRL is probably the same version that Kino has had out for years on DVD, though maybe not. Hopefully both of these will have good scores, not just the constant piano mostly at the same pace. The Mont Alto Orchestra scores with the Arbuckle's really lifted those films. Also the Sennett Bathing Girl shorts and more coming up. Will be great seeing Phyllis Haver, Alice and Marceline Day.

Thanks, gagman66, for that info.

It's been a HUGE treat watching the Sennett shorts so far --

discovering just how funny Syd Chaplin was, seeing Mabel

Normand's remarkably funny and (more often than not)

surprisingly subtle comedic acting style . . .

I'm really looking forward to Mickey which I've never seen.

41lPGx461iL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Supposedly, it wound up sitting on a shelf after it was

completed and was only released when some other

film failed to arrive ... then went on to become among

the most profitable of all Sennett's pictures.

(sigh) How different things might have turned out had

Mack not broken Mabel's heart by cheating with Mae

Busch . . .

mabel_normand.jpg

*Mabel in happier times*

mabelnormand2.jpg

*Mabel in later years*

These shorts totally rock!!! I love each of them! What a treasure! And you say they are coming out on DVD, Gagman??? WOW! That's very cool!

I'm totally grooving to these each week!!!

Mark,

Yeah, the massive Sennett set is coming out early next year. The Arbuckle Anthology will probably take a bit longer. They are going to be including some of his long lost features found in Russia. I believe. But at least it's in the works.

:On a semi-related topic, according to our old pal Bruce Calvert a 1911 film Starring and co- directed by Lois Weber with Charles De Forrest called "ON THE BRINK (1911) was discovered during a recent Ntrate search at the Library Of Congress. No more than a few weeks ago. Here are some captures. A stunning print with beautiful original tints. None of this has been enhanced in anyway, just straight captures. Take a Look-See. Lois was a prolific director and lady film-maker. As seen here, Weber was quite a lovely woman as well. This is proof that new Silent Era discoveries are still taking place all the time.

on_the_brink1.jpg

on_the_brink2.jpg

on_the_brink3.jpg

on_the_brink4.jpg

on_the_brink5.jpg

Sometime back I read about a 10-disc Arbuckle box. If the Keystone set is about the same size they're really giving us a whole lot here. This TCM festival is going to total nearly 24 hours (not counting interstitials) - that's somewhere between 8 and 10 DVDs worth of material and the bulk of it seems to be from the Cinemuseum/Laughsmith restorations. I am very grateful to be given such a tremendous wealth of restored material.

The Chaplin at Keystone DVD set got a lot of attention a couple of years back, attention that this project probably won't even see 1/10th of, but this is just as important, arguably vastly more so. So thanks to all of the Cinemuseum people for putting so much work into these and thanks to TCM for getting it all on the air (how anyone can continue to denigrate and cast suspicion at a channel that increasingly does stuff like this, I'll never know.)

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}On a semi-related topic, according to our old pal Bruce Calvert a 1911 film Starring and co- directed by Lois Weber with Charles De Forrest called "ON THE BRINK (1911) was discovered during a recent Ntrate search at the Library Of Congress. No more than a few weeks ago. Here are some captures. A stunning print with beautiful original tints. None of this has been enhanced in anyway, just straight captures. Take a Look-See. Lois was a prolific director and lady film-maker. As seen here, Weber was quite a lovely woman as well. This is proof that new Silent Era discoveries are still taking place all the time.

Beautiful stuff indeed, I hope the rest of the film looks so impeccable. Great to see more Lois Weber coming back from obscurity.