Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mental Health in Films

RMeingast

Surprised nobody has commented on any of the films concerning mental health on TCM today...

I think the only ones I've ever seen before are "Suddenly, Last Summer," "The Snake Pit, and "The Three Faces of Eve."

All excellent films... It's too bad I missed the others...

> {quote:title=RMeingast wrote:}{quote}Surprised nobody has commented on any of the films concerning mental health on TCM today...

>

>

>

> I think the only ones I've ever seen before are "Suddenly, Last Summer," "The Snake Pit, and "The Three Faces of Eve."

>

>

>

> All excellent films... It's too bad I missed the others...

Welcome to Rubber Room Cinema.

Fortunately, all 7 of my personalities have been enjoying it tremendously.

Along with all "the usual suspects" ( some of which you named), I see they aired a nifty little noir, *The High Wall*. This is an undeservedly obscure film, starring Robert Taylor and one of the doyens of film noir, Audrey Totter.

I'm not a big fan of Taylor, but he's quite sympathetic in this. The film takes a favourite theme of 40s cinema, the criminal who may or may not be insane, and winds it around Taylor as a murder suspect, the victim being his wife.

*High Wall* plays with a lot of themes - returning World War ll vets and their lingering wounds ( some physical, some psychological), mental asylums ( is that what they were called then?), psychology, marital infidelity, and the tried and true trope of the accused but innocent man breaking out of prison ( or in this case, the hospital for the mentally ill) to find the real murderer.

Almost forgot about the "mental illness" part: Taylor has sustained a head injury in the war, from which he has not fully recovered. It affects his memory. He himself cannot recall exactly what happened the last time he saw his wife, which doesn't help his case. Until he can undergo brain surgery, to address the memory problem, he is imprisoned in the hospital for the mentally ill. Attractive Audrey Totter is assigned as his shrink ( of course !) and you can guess what kind of conflict of interest arises from there.

It's quite fun.

Edited by: misswonderly on Sep 5, 2012 8:01 PM

A fair to great lineup of movies with the mental health theme. Most of the dramas are quite harrowing, and all feature strong performances overall. Too bed I couldn't've left my other personality at home to watch TCM while I went to work, or better yet, have him go to work and I stay to watch TCM.

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}A fair to great lineup of movies with the mental health theme. Most of the dramas are quite harrowing, and all feature strong performances overall. Too bed I couldn't've left my other personality at home to watch TCM while I went to work, or better yet, have him go to work and I stay to watch TCM.

Joanne Woodward amazes me every time I see Three Faces of Eve.

17.jpg

Why am I elected to go to the village? Why me instead of you and Curtin? Oh, don't think I don't see through that. You two've thrown in against me. The two days I'd be gone would give you plenty of time to discover where my goods are, wouldn't it? Everything's clear now. You're hoping bandits will get me. That would save you a lot of trouble, wouldn't it? And your consciences wouldn't bother you none, neither.

*The Cobweb* is a hoot: patients and staff at a sanatorium spend two hours arguing over the drapes.

It'll be on again later in the month as part of Lauren Bacall's "Star of the Month" salute.

Polly Bergen's nervous breakdown at the beginning of *The Caretakers* is also fun. And that movie has late-period Joan Crawford, sternly giving 150%.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}Why am I elected to go to the village? Why me instead of you and Curtin? Oh, don't think I don't see through that. You two've thrown in against me. The two days I'd be gone would give you plenty of time to discover where my goods are, wouldn't it? Everything's clear now. You're hoping bandits will get me. That would save you a lot of trouble, wouldn't it? And your consciences wouldn't bother you none, neither.

Your impersonation is spot on ! You sounded just like Bogie ! :^0

I'm always creeped out about that part of Three Faces where she is playing

in that crawlspace under the porch. We had one of those underneath our

side porch and although there were wooden slats across it, one could still

see in. Dirty and probably with a few creepy crawling things about. Yuck.

I love the oblique reference to *The Manchurian Candidate* ( if that's what you were doing, and I think it was), but the mental illness in that film wasn't genuine mental illness, was it? I mean, it was caused by the brainwashing/torture ordeal the troop of soldiers underwent in North Korea ( or somewhere...)

If Laurence Harvey's character hadn't been brainwashed, he wouldn't have manifested symptoms of mental illness. Or maybe he would have...with Angela Lansbury's character for a mother, who knows?

Fedya, we're laughing at the same things. In addition to Polly's breakdown in THE CARETAKERS, there's Joan Crawford saying to Constance Ford, "You know what kind of discipline I like."

There aren't many movies that waste as many talented actors as THE COBWEB. The compensation is all the unintended humor.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings