Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Larry's Classic Star Reminiscences

vecchiolarry

Larry,

I am sad at the thought of not being able to hang out with you at the end of the month but I certainly understand.

My best thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery and I will keep my fingers crossed that you make it down this way sometime later this year.

Take care and get better fast!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lynn,

Did you get a chance to see the Pola Negri documentary last night?

I'd be very interested to hear about it, if you did. I seem to recall reading that you are or will be travelling, but don't remember just when or even if you said......

I'm recuperating - first in hospital for 3 days and then at home and in physiotherapy.

I am on drugs but slowly being weaned off them and taking asprin. I'm still dozy but then as several of my friends have said, "What else is new!!".......

Larry, just half a nut case, now.......

Larry,

Unfortunately, I was delayed in my return home this weekend and unable to see the documentary. I hope it gets another showing here sometime this year.

Am glad to hear that your surgery went well and sounds like you are on the mend. Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everybody,

The Pola Negri documentary was shown at Cannes last night. It apparently did very well, although I don't know if it's in competion for anything.

One comment was that we needed more actresses with her 'spitfire quality' in films today.

The film next goes to London and Warsaw in June and then to MOMA in NYC in September.

No word on my contribution to the movie; so I don't know whether to get my tuxedo out of mothballs for the Oscars!!!! Yes, I am delusional!!!!!!........

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Hi Too Many Notes,

Thanks. Better not to do a book as there are too many relatives to dodge. Bullets and knives to dodge all over the world.

I have relatives in Canada, USA, France and Italy -- so there's no safe place to hide...

Larry

Good Morning Jack,

- I didn?t know Sydney Guilaroff that well but he was quite a nice man.

He was from a Russian family from Winnipeg and he sometimes styled my grandmother?s hair and they spoke Russian together. Nell joked that they were plotting another revolution! He cut my hair a couple of times, once parting it in the middle as a joke and declared that I looked like Hedy Lamarr!!!!!! NOT?

- I remember reading his obituary just a few years ago and there is a book by him too.

- Sydney usually only did the stars? hair, not just anybody?s but he had full supervision of the hair department.

- he suffered from periodic outbursts of tuberculosis.

- I met him when he did Angela Lansbury?s hair on ?Kind Lady?

- he fussed with Ava Gardner?s hair, while she played poker with us ?boys? on ?Show Boat?. He told us that she cheated but we all knew that anyway. Ava always gave us our pennies back.

- Sydney was a good friend of Pola Negri and Mary Astor.

- he and Irene, the costume designer, often dined together in the commissary.

Jack,

I've never seen "New York, New York". Martin Scorcese and Robert Deniro turn me off.. Love Liza though, so maybe I'll have to rent it just to see Sydney.

He and most of the MGM staff have all been on camera. Sometimes in movies but they're not recognized by the public. But it is fun to see an old film and then shout out, "Oh there's Helen Rose or Melvin Pringle" and everyone says, "Who??"..

I love seeing old faces, even mine.......

A funny story about Melvin Pringle, who was head of props, he once jumped into a bathtub with Lana Turner after she had finished a tub scene in "The Merry Widow" and they had a laugh filled bubble fight and ruined her makeup and hair and she just said, "Looks like Mel's given everybody the rest of the day off!!"......

I'm sure Sydney is on lots of film somewhere.

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Hi Chris,

I was a greater accountant than I was a movie star.

I was in "Show Boat", "Lovely To Look At", "Kiss Me Kate", "The Prodigal", "Diane", "The Ten Commandments" and "The Vagabond King"... In the last, my brother and I are the two boys praying with candles yet,in front of Kathryn Grayson in church

Mostly background and crowd scenes; but the few times I was in the front, I was cut!! Ouch.....

If you want to know the name of the face on the cutting room floor, it's MOI..........

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry