Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Larry's Classic Star Reminiscences

Hi DPD,

I had never even heard of Barbara Cartland until about 10 years ago. Romance novels are not my thing.

However, I have seen her daughter a couple of times. Raine was once the Duchess of Devonshire in the 60's and I saw her then. She is and was a good friend of my friend, Moira Lister.

She then married Earl Spencer, Diana's father, and I talked to her in 1978. She was Countess Spencer then. I didn't know she had a famous mother, or even anything about her mother.

Anyway, from what I've seen of Barbara Cartland, I don't think she would have been Nell's cup of tea. Too pink marangue and frou, frou. Nell was a ****, undiplomatic and blunt. She didn't go in for smaltzie romance, it was sex and she was a preditor. Not Barbara Cartland's idea of a lady.

Nell was a well mannered lady but she'd have made mince-meat out of Barbara.

Raine is not like her mother either, she's also a **** and proud of it.

She made those Spencer children hop through hoops and the mother (Mrs. Shand Kydd) too.

When the old Earl Spencer died, Diana and the other kids packed up Raine's belongings in garbage bags and threw them out in the driveway and sent her packing.

I love the British aristocracy!!

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Hi, Larry! I got my copy of Majesty today! I had to go to three shops to find it. I live in such a one-horse town the Tower Records said they haven't carried it for three years! But, fortunately, we have a Barnes and Noble. It was in the Current Events section of all places. I was certain, and even arguing with the clerk, that it was next to Town & Country!

Anyway, love the picture. You said they were in there sixties? The one in the front, blonde, looks fantastic. Is the one in the middle your grandmother? She looks great, too. I love the fashions. They must have just told a very funny story! I love Ava giving her Garbo imitation! Head thrown back exposing that swan like neck of hers! Even Frankie looked good. I love the expression on Philip's face. It looks as if it was very naughty, whatever the story.

Hi GM,

Glad you got the magazine after much hassle.....

The blonde in the front is my grandmother, Nell. I'm sure it was her 61st birthday party.

The lady in the middle is my Aunt Marguerite, my grandfather's sister.

If I remember correctly, everyone was laughing at what Nell had just said; she was a very naughty lady and she was being congratulated for blowing out all 61 candles.

She said she was very good at giving 'blow jobs'... That's why all those expressions.

Never a dull moment with granny!!

Larry

Good morning, Larry and Everyone,

Larry, you may tell your Mother that the little lavender clock went for over one million pounds! Even the old King's playing cards went for thirteen thousand! Yoikes!

By the way, I found my copy of Majesty, in the "Fashion" section at Tower Records. Go figure!

-Susan

Okay, what did I miss?

Little lavender clock?

Um, **** and Nell? Can you scan the picture here, Larry? A ****? Au contraire, she sounds like an empowered woman, ahead of her time, Larry, imo.

There may be more to the story, but what you write only endears her to me.

See, that's why you should write that book!!!!!!!

Hi,

Susan -

Yoikes indeed on the little lavender clock - 1 million pounds.

My mother doesn't need to know the time that badly!!

Dolores -

Read further down the thread about the clock -- it was auctioned off from Princess margaret's possessions last week. My mother bid $10,000.00 - a little short of the eventual tally.....

Can't scan picture - no scanner and no savvy about how to do it. Next week, my nerdy cousin returns from holidays, so maybe I'll ask him to do it, if anyone's still interested.

Nell - empowered, yes. She was liberated decades ago, before any other woman. She once burned her whalebone corset in 1916.

Larry

HI DPD,

I can't stop laughing at you writing that 'my mother' burned her corset..... Ha, ha, ha!!

I don't dare tell her but I'd love to see the look on her face if I did. My mother never owned a corset in her life.

It was my "grandmother". My mother wasn't born yet in 1916 -- that's another thing that would put a mortified look on her face.... Ha, ha, ha............

She will be 88 on July 10th (1918) and we're all trying to get her through that. She should use a cane really but is afraid people will think she's an old lady. I once said to her (when I was feeling bitchy and cruel to her - we have issues!) in my best Blanche Hudson voice, "But you are, you are old!!".....

Thanks for the laughs. You've made my day

Isn't it you who have put up pictures on other threads? If you get a copy of that magazine, would you mind putting the picture on here? Please and thank you...

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Mr Larry, I'm the who is mortified, I do apologise! I misunderstood what I read in another post,my apologies to your mother! I'm sure that she is lovely at any age :D

Once I find a copy of "Majesty" (wish me luck,talk about "one-horse towns",and even that horse swam away with Hurricane Katrina,LOL),I'll post a pic. It may be a bit,I may have to order it online.

• 1 month later...

Larry, did you ever happen to meet Audrey Totter during your Hollywood days?

I watched "Postman Always Rings Twice" last night and noticed her in a small role. I also remember watching her in "Lady in the Lake" a few years back.

She's in her late 80's now and living at the Motion Picture and Television Hospital in California.

Hi Normandie,

No, I did not know Audrey Totter but have seen a few of her films.

Last year, when I was at the Motion Picture Home, I asked if Audrey and Yvonne De Carlo were residing there but was told confidentiality forbade them discussing their residents. If these ladies are there, then they are in good hands.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Larry,

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that around the time of Olivia DeHavilland's 90th birthday (when she was being honored at a series of functions in Los Angeles), you mentioned speaking with Deidre Flynn, Errol's daughter.

If so, how do you know Ms. Flynn?

I apologize if my information is incorrect -- the mind ain't what it used to be!

Genevieve Annabelle

I want to take this time to pubicly thank Larry for his help with my Agnes Moorehead book where he provided some wonderful anecdotes about that much loved and admired character actress. It's been a while since I visited TCM and I'm glad to see all the people who are able to enjoy on this forum many of Larry's anecdotes--as well as others who share their recollections of their favorite stars.

Thanks again, Larry!

Chuck Tranberg

Hello,

Chuck,

You've changed your 'handle' here. I didn't recognize you.

How is the book doing?

Genevieve,

I knew Deirdre Flynn through her mother, Nora. She has a sister too called Rory.

Nora's father was a police chief (?) in LA and provided security for many parties we all attended.

Sorry, ladies, but I never saw Errol Flynn!

Larry

Larry, I am glad to hear from you! Enjoy your upcoming trip, go slowly but come back quickly!

Chuck, if I may call you that, I read your book on our Aggie, and it was terrific! It is good to use as a reference when her films are shown, such as yesterday, watching her perfomance as Aunt Fanny in "The Magnificent Ambersons", it brought an added dimension to my viewing. And on a personal note, my brother, Tim, based his award winning high school performance as Mrs. Stevenson in "Sorry, Wrong Number" on a recording he had heard once of Agnes' version on the "Suspense" radio program, amazing to realize how many lives she influenced. Thanks!

-Susan

"...And on a personal note, my brother, Tim, based his award winning high school performance as Mrs. Stevenson in "Sorry, Wrong Number" on a recording he had heard once of Agnes' version on the "Suspense" radio program..."

How very curious, Ms. Lenox. Did Tim "Lenox" go to an all-boys school? It sounds very open-minded. Did he wear a lace bed jacket?

Hi Jack, yes and yes! If you could picture this 16 or 17 year old kid in wig and full regalia, quite a sight, as I remember it. He was in several productions in school and they also had to do "scenes", I think they called them, for a regional or national contest. He won for his portrayal of Mrs. Stevenson and also won again for "The Tell-Tale Heart". He was very good! Alas, he left his theatrical talents behind him and moved on to medicine, becoming a radiologist. His youngest son has picked up the mantle and performs in community theatre productions in his hometown.

-Susan

Susan & Jack,

Very humourous, Jack!!! You must have your metafor's hat on today.....

And Susan, I think that's just wonderful that your brother played Mrs. Stevenson and won an award. I bet Agnes Moorehead would have loved to see that, even though she considered it her role. She never forgave Hal Wallis for casting Stanwyck in the movie.

Any party she attended that Hal appeared at, she snubbed him. But, she still loved Louise Fazenda.

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Good morning to Larry and everyone! Larry, a question concerning Toni Mannix, wife of MGM exec Eddie Mannix, and the upcoming release of the film "Hollywoodland" about the tragic and mysterious death of George Reeves - Diane Lane is portraying the formidable Toni. Did you ever encounter Mr./Mrs. Mannix and/or George Reeves during your Hollywood days? And my apologies if the question has been asked and answered before.

Thanks! (I know, you are preparing for your trip and we keep interrupting)

-Susan