Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
vecchiolarry

Larry's Classic Star Reminiscences

Judy Garland

I remember the night, back in 1969, when she died. She fell while in the bathtub and was killed. A station on TV showed some of her movies that night, one of which stands out for me was A Star Is Born. Her real name was Frances Gumm. She started singing and dancing at the age of 3. She was a wonderful actress back in the 30's and 40''s. She had a hard life and she turned to alcohol. She was fired from MGM because of this. She did many concerts and had her own television show for awhile. I feel that the demand from the public to have her sing is the reason for her death, as it was too much for her. She is best known for her role as Dorothy, in the Wizard of Oz.

Dinah Shore

She was a beautiful actress and a good singer. She passed away on February 24, 1994.

Kinston, the great Judy Garland died from an overdose of barbiturates on June 22, 1969 at age 47 in London, England.

Mongo & Kinston,

You are both correct. She had taken pills and maybe some more and then was found in her bathroom, half in and half out of the bathtub. Maybe she had fallen in, poor darling.

What a sad end to a great talent and a brilliant star!!!!

Larry

Dear Susan,

Yes, I did know Eddie Mannix.......

How did I get in to MGM and Paramount and run around all over the place, carte blanche, so to speak? you ask........

Well, because of Eddie Mannix and Adolph Zukor respectively. They were friends of Nell and I was sort of just there by osmosis. AZ was my 'Uncle Sugar' and EM my 'Uncle Edgar' (that was his real name).

I also knew Toni Mannix but not as well as UE.... She was quite a dish, so to speak and he was much older than her. Isn't that always the way.

Didn't know George Reeves though.

Eddie Mannix was a real powerhouse and ran things with an iron fist. He could be mean and cruel and everybody was afraid of him. Some think he had Mafia connections, but I doubt it. I got some of my best presents from UE, like a big shiny red bicycle.

George Reeves died when I was living in Germany, so don't know much about that. Wouldn't you know that the minute I leave town the Stompanato affair and the Reeves one happen - bummer.......

Eddie Mannix died a couple of years after I came back to LA and I was at the funeral; so was Toni!!!!!! I heard she died in the 80's.

Larry

PS - I've never heard of "Hollywoodland". What's that all about?

Thanks.

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

null

null

Ahh, Larry, thanks so much for filling me in! And "Zukor" is "Sugar" in Hungarian, I think, right? Now, back to your packing! By the way, have you ever heard of "space bags"? They work similar to a ziploc baggie, only for clothes. I use them when traveling to St. Maarten and they are excellent. Especially since the Queen Juliana Airport does not have x-ray equipment and the luggage is still inspected by hand! You can usually find them in Walmart or Kmart or Canandian version of same. They compress the clothes, so you can carry more and less wrinkling!

(I will now stop my commercial for this product, thank you!)

-Susan (or should I say, ZsaZsa?)

Hi Nakano,

All I can tell you is that Eddie Mannix was always kind to me but I have witnessed a few blunt words to sevral people over the years.

I know nothing about his first wife, even her name. And, I can't tell you anything about Mary Nolan either; I've heard the name but wouldn't know her if I fell over her....

About Toni and George Reeves - ditto - nada...... I was in Germany from 1957 - 1960 and he died sometime then.

I will see "Hollywoodland" when it comes out. I do like Adrien Brody but not Benny boy. Surely neither of them is playing Eddie Mannix? They don't look anything like him. I do like Diane Lane too - she'll be good as Toni.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Ben Affleck is playing George Reeves in the new film, HOLLYWOODLAND. From the previews that I saw, he looks quite a bit like Reeves. I think he is trying to move his career in a better direction.

As always, I love reading your posts, Larry!

Sandy K

Hi Sandy,

OK, I can see Ben Affleck as George Reeves but he can't act. I hope he has a good director, who will tell him not to slur his speech and that this isn't a high school amateur hour anymore. He nearly spoiled "Shakespeare In Love" with his high school acting. And, that one with Matt Damon that they wrote - what tripe, it was boring. I've made it a point to not see anything else he's done.

Oh well, maybe he'll be killed off in the first reel!!!!!

Thanks for the info.

Larry

Oh, Larry, I feel badly for Ben--he would be no match for you! :D

Since the film is about an investigation into Reeves' death, I think that Ben will be seen mainly in flashbacks.

Sandy K

Hi Larry,

I ran into a screenwriter from LA in Boston a few years ago, who apparently worked on the script that Damon and Affleck "wrote," with another half dozen people, at a screewriter's agency. It seems their version was nothing like the finished project, and was much worse. Their version had Damon's brainiac character running from the CIA who wanted him to develop weapons or whatever, since he was a genius. Hence, the "Hunting" in the title. They should have shown the bums in Harvard Sq. instead of those two ... or were they the bums in Harvard Sq.?

I hope Aff-lack has no lines in the Reeves movie and just posed for morgue photos.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Ha ha ha!!!!!!

That's marvellous...... I bet he could do his best acting as a corpse. He could join the Kevin Costner School of Ghoul Acting Course.......

Larry

Larry,

When your career is as dead as Ben's is, it doesn't require any acting to play a corpse. Maybe if Costner played a part opposite Ben in a movie, Costner's career might seem livlier in comparison and get him back on the radar. He wouldn't have to proposition masseuses (or is that masseusi?) to get publicity, then.

Matt

"I do like Adrien Brody but not Benny boy. Surely neither of them is playing Eddie Mannix? They don't look anything like him."

Bob Hoskins plays Eddie Mannix in Hollywoodland. The release date will be September 8.

Hiho Jack,

Thanks for telling me that. Although Bob Hoskins doesn't look like Eddie Mannix either. Mannix was older but still a good looking man.

Sh-t!! September 8th, I'll be on a plane to Russia......

Larry

Hello Everyone,

Just got my itinerary from my guide for my Russian trip and I should be busy. I do have a couple of days off in Moscow but my St. Petersburg schedule is jammed. That's because I will be joining some Romanovs for the reburial of the Dowager Empress, the 26th - 28th, so I better get lots of sleep now.

Rusty -

I also received my special visa to go into the Amber Room in the Catherine Palace. No cameras allowed though. But they should have postcards available. Most places now allow cameras but you have to pay extra. I don't take pictures though as I'm not into photography.

Larry

Dear Larry,

I hope that you enjoy your trip. It sounds as if you will be busy! I went to the Nicholas and Alexander exhibit in Wilmington, DE a few years back, such a tragic beauty and what a love story! I spent hours and hours looking through everything, so much time, that my SO (who is very patient, thank goodness) who had already gone through and came out, paid again to come back in and find me!

I remember a 60 Minutes program or some such show interviewing the at-that-time mayor of Miami Beach, who is a Romanov. He was going to attend the reburial of Czar Nicholas II, the Czarina and family. When some idiot reporter asked him about the Revolution, Communism and the current state of Russia, he said bitingly, "I wouldn't know about that, I am here for my family's funeral." I never forgot that, he certainly had that Imperial Romanov air about him! Bravo!

-Susan

Hi Susan,

I'm glad that you went through that exhibition and were so interested.

Along with the Amber Room, which has been completely recreated, the Alexander Palace (which is nearby the Catherine Palace) has now been completely reconstructed. The front doors were just replaced last week. This is the palace that Nicholas and Alexandra actually lived in. It's in a town and park called Tsarzkoe Selo, which is about 28 miles south of St. Petersburg.

Although I have been through most of the Catherine Palace, I haven't been in the Alexander. So, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Prince Paul, the man you were referring to (the mayor of Palm Beach) has now died. I didn't know him but I do know some other Romanovs.

Prince Paul was the son of Grand Duke Dmitri, one of the ones who murdered Rasputin. In the movie, "Nicholas and Alexandra", he is the one giggling who takes chains and bashes Rasputin with them. GD Dmitri escaped the Revolution.

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Thanks, Larry, that is who it was! Well, I was thinking of a warm climate!

Hi,

Had a phone call from a Danish friend who will be in St. Petersburg when I will.

He tells me that besides the Romanovs at the reburial service will be the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Denmark, Prince Michael of Kent and some of the Greek royals, too......

I guess I'll be a- bowing and a-scraping all over the place.

Larry

Larry,

So, you will visit the "new" Amber Room? Great!

At this time, I will (sort of) repeat something I wrote a few months ago...

A book I recently read about the latest search for the "old" Amber Room (a book I read to the last page!) was very interesting. The author's journey into the labyrinth of former Soviet and East German archives is quite a tale of paranoia, betrayal and lies. The authors end their book with their conclusion as to the whereabouts of the old Amber Room. The authors conclusion appears logical and reflects the fear and secrecy of Stalin's Soviet Union. I will not write anything specific regarding their (the authors) theory. I don't want to spoil the read for anyone else. Plus, anything I wrote would make no sense without knowing the history of all those involved in the multiple searches (searches starting before the end of WWII) for the "old" Amber Room.

Rusty

Message was edited by:

jarhfive

Message was edited by:

jarhfive

jarhfive

For me, George Reeves is, was and always will be Superman. My kids just roll their beady eyes when I talk about The Mole Men. I just hope to heaven that Ben don't screw it up.

Have a great time in Russia, Larry. I've been close to going there but never did actually make. The Amber Room has been all over History or Discovery Channels in the last couple of weeks. It is a thing of beauty and has to be even better in person.

> OK, I can see Ben Affleck as George Reeves but he

> can't act. I hope he has a good director, who will

> tell him not to slur his speech and that this isn't a

> high school amateur hour anymore. > maybe he'll be killed off in the first

> reel!!!!!

>

> Thanks for the info.

>

> Larry

Larry:

In case you come on to check things out here on your thread, I just want to wish you a great trip, hope you enjoy immensely, and hope you return all refreshed and relent and share some of your exploits in Russia with us.

Bon Voyage!

Anne

Hi Larry have a safe trip and we hope you will come back and tell us some new stories . Take care Carol