Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Larry's Classic Star Reminiscences

vecchiolarry

I hope Larry returns soon as well, but I am glad he posted his email address so I can contact him. I lost track of the amount of times I wrote a long post , only to see it disappear. If this gets through, it will be due to my re-registering from a work computer!

Good Morning Everyone,

Well, yesterday afternoon I spent 3 hours with my cousin, Trevor, the computer nerd! And he fixed all my problems.

Snarfie, you were right and it is an internet ?timed out? condition that ?sometimes? hits intermittently and randomly to zap some windows?.. But, TCM can fix this; it?s just that they probably don?t know how. Trevor does and fixed mine but the little **** wants money to fix TCM?s plight??.. Oh well!!!!!!!

He did suggest though that I write in ?Word? and ?copy & paste? like you suggested. Thanks, Snarfie, for all your help too??..

RichNYC ?

My dear Richard, is that you (Richardny4me)? I?ve wondered where you got to; you and Joe (Moviejoe79) and now I hear from both of you on the Pola Negri thread!! Marvellous. I still remember you telling me about seeing Paulette Goddard on the street.

Let?s hope you can keep up posting here. We missed you?..

Fasteddie ?

Glad you enjoyed these stories. Do you have any favourites among the movie stars or the movies? Hope you continue to enjoy the message board.

I received PM?s and E-Mails from a dozen of you and I want to thank you all. Muchly appreciated and it does make me feel wanted. Thank you.

5 of you asked me to report on my Russian trip, like I did last year when I went to Los Angeles. Some wanted to know why I was going there and a couple wanted to understand who it is that?s being reburied and why do I care!!

I?m not sure if I?ve written about this before but ?

If any of you want me to start a new thread on this trip, I will; but you have to say so or I won?t bother. If you?re interested ? post here ? and we?ll tell you all about Nell and the Russian connection and why I?m going there for the 5th time!!!!!!!

Let me know..

Larry

Larry, glad to see you back. I thought we lost another great poster. I'm glad you didn't give up.It's been a couple of crazy days on the boards. And now our "Voice of reason" is back... well, Welcome Home....

vallo (Bill)

Larry,

I don't know you, but have loved your posts and reminiscences for years on these Forums. Please post about your trip. Everything you write about is so fascinating to me and I can't wait to hear about it all.

I am an avid Classic Movie Watcher and feel as if I should have been a young woman in the 1940's, my favorite time period in history.

Can you give those of us who don't know you a brief synopsis on your Hollywood connection, please. I think I remember you posted that your mother was an actress.

Thanks for all your wonderful posts,

Susu

If any of you want me to start a new thread on this trip, I will; but you have to say so or I won?t bother. >>

YES! I want to hear all about your trip when you get back!

Have a safe journey.

Welcome back, btw, I was worried we had lost you for good. One of these days I hope you make it down here to the City of Angels so that we can finally meet!

Larry Thankgoodness am I glad you are back It was just not the same here and yes start a thread about Russia thakns for your pm's and for always being such a gentleman Right On good to see your words here again Inglis: ) I have to give you a sideways smile as I have not yet been able to get the happys going

If any of you want me to start a new thread on this trip, I will; but you have to say so or I won?t bother. If you?re interested ? post here ? and we?ll tell you all about Nell and the Russian connection and why I?m going there for the 5th time!!!!!!!

Yes, dear Larry, please post when you return, I'd love to hear all about it!

-Susan

Hi again,

Bill -

Thanks for the compliment, although "voice of reason" (I don't know about that!). "Voice of frustration" is more like it especially this technology stuff.....

Lynn, Carol and Susan -

Thanks to you all, also. And, Lynn, I'll make it to LA yet!!!!

Fasteddie -

Sorry to disappoint you but I didn't know Mamie, Doris or Clark. I did see "Teachers Pet" though years ago - fun film!!

Susu -

No, my mother was not an actress. My grandmother, Nell, was an LA socialite, who rubbed shoulders with the movie stars and so did I often.

Larry

Larry, great to have you back!

Sounds like your cousin knows what he's doing. Glad he's able to help you.

Yes, add me to the list of those who'd like to hear about your trip.

Looks like you've got a little competition now ;) on a thread called Golden Age survivor.

If I may quote ekw-

"I have been forced - virtually at mouse-point - to begin a thread somewhere on these boards by some TCM readers regarding my long association with the film industry. I am the son, grandson, and step-son of Keenan Wynn, Ed Wynn, and Van Johnson respectively. The suggestion - made gently but firmly (hmm...that didn't used to sound so lascivious) - is that because I knew a lot of people during Hollywood's so-called Golden Age - 1945 to around 1959, I might have anecdotes or thoughts on actors and films that could be of interest to movie buffs at TCM. And because my dad and stepfather were contract players at MGM from the early Forties until the mid-Fifties there might also be a heightened interest as that studio is associated very strongly with that period, not to mention TCM owns those films and plays them constantly."

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=87014&tstart=0

Thought you'd like to know if you hadn't seen the thread yet.

Best, J

Hi Larry,

Glad to have you back on the boards! Yes, RichardNY4Me was my old name now lost in the TCM archives somewhere. I am really looking forward to the Pola Negri documentary, I am sorry to have read your part was edited, but you never know, if and when it is ever released on DVD, maybe you will be in the "bonus footage."

By the way, I was actually at MOMA yesterday to see the Dada exhibition, and as I getting my ID back while returning my audio guide I heard the woman next to me retrieve her ID by saying the name Wiest...she had to spell the first letter W...for them. It was the actress Dianne Wiest. I turned and said excuse me but I loved your performance in the Wendy Wasserstein play (Third).....but I startled her, and then she thanked me. As I left I thought I always see somebody, and it began with Paulette Goddard over 25 years ago, in that same neighborhood.

Rich, how cool that you saw Dianne Weist at MOMA! I love seeing celebrities around N.Y. The best experience I had was when I saw Jean Simmons and Rex Reed after a concert at Carnegie Hall. When they exited, they strolled up 7th Ave., which was a surprise to me, since I expected them to get into a waiting car, or maybe hail a cab. I took the opportunity to say hello to Jean Simmons and tell her how much I've enjoyed her movies, and she was very gracious. Please tell me about when you saw Paulette Goddard. And have you ever seen anyone else around town? Ever see Garbo on her daily walks? And Larry, I hope you don't mind my invading your thread like this! And I too would love to hear about your trip to Russia. I always equate Russia with "Dr. Zhivago." To me it's one of those far off places I'll probably never get to. But who knows.

Joe,

That's great that you saw Jean Simmons!! Isn't she a great star and a good actress, to boot......

Richard saw Paulette Goddard many years ago in a mink coat, I think. He asked her if he could take a picture but she turned him down. I know she was difficult about pictures, especially ones not properly lit.

I saw a preview to "Hollywoodland" and it looks quite good. It starts on Friday, but I'll be on a plane that day. I hope they don't make poor old Eddie Mannix out to be too horrible. But, he probably is the villain in the picture.

Larry

Hello Everyone,

I am starting a new thread called "From Russia with Love!".... which will deal with my current trip to Moscow and St. Petersburg.

So, for anybody interested, I will post once or twice from each city.

Larry

Larry,

This is a tad off the beaten path of classic movies but I was wondering if you had info or insights into the Architects that designed "Greystone"?

Thanks and have a wonderful trip!

Archived