Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Larry's Classic Star Reminiscences

Hi Lynn,

Reporting from Moscow -

Sorry, but I can't tell you much about the architcts of Greystone. It is a huge monster of a house that my Aunt Lucy lived in. I have only been in it about 5 times, the last time in 1955.

Larry

• 1 month later...

To all those who live in Los Angeles and want to see the family mansion that Larry, hopefully, went to a dinner party or two at:

For the next two weeks the Greystone Manor in Beverly Hills is opening its doors for tours:

http://www.beverlyhills.org/presence/connect/CoBH/Garden%20Festival

It is one of the historic mansions left in Beverly Hills owned by some branch of the Doheny family. Was the original home of the AFI in the 1970s/1980s.

Many a golden era film star graced its doors (and hopefully) our very own Larry!

Hi Lynn,

Are you going to take the tour of Greystone Manor?

If you do, ask where Ned was shot. And, who did it. I know it's impertenant but it would be fun.

One version, the one stamped as official, is that Hugh, Ned's secretary/friend/companion, went crazy and shot Ned.

Another, unofficial, is that Ned shot Hugh and then himself.

A third version, and one my Grandmother, Nell (Ned's sister), spread around was that Lucy shot both of them.

Nell detested Lucy and called her a 'murdering b-i-t-c-h' to her face often. I kind of liked her. Once, after visiting Greystone for a long weekend, Nell fed me Exlax, saying that she had to get the poison out that Lucy had fed me. I was on the toilet for three days. I've never really liked chocolat since. That's what family life was like in a truly dysfunctional family.

Let me know if you go on tour. I'd be interested to hear your opinions of the place.

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

• 3 weeks later...

Larry,

I was unable to get tickets! But the event was very successful and I am hopeful they will open the house again this spring.

In the meantime, I did see some of the house and grounds in "Los Angeles Plays Itself" a documentary about Los Angeles on film.

Thanks for bumping this as I missed your question last week.

Hey, Larry, last night I was watching a show on Lifetime about a British psychic named Lisa Williams and she went to Greystone! There was no furniture in the house, but it looked gorgeous! They showed quite a bit of the house. She knew nothing of the history of the house and the things that she picked up were all very accurate according to the historian that was with her.

Sandy K

Hi Sandy,

How interesting.....

Even I don't know which room(s) the murders took place in and I've been in every one of them. Of course, I didn't just come out and ask back then but I would have loved to.

I would love to see a phychic re-enact the deaths, although I don't really believe in them wholeheartedly.

I would hate to think that my Aunt Lucy actually did shoot her husband; I really liked her and she was always good to me, even though she knew Nell hated her....

I wonder where all that furniture got to; maybe it's just stored away. I can't see anybody else wanting it as most of it was designed for that big barn of a house. Oversized and overstuffed; not very intimate.....

Larry

Larry, according to psychic Lisa Williams, the murder took place in Edward Doheny's personal secretary's room--his name escapes me right now. She said that the secretary and Edward were very close and that the secretary was very manipulative--not a good person. There was some question of mental illness. She said that Edward came into the room with a document that he wanted him to sign--perhaps committment papers?--and that the secretary lost it and shot Edward and then himself. A murder--suicide. The room is on the lower floor of the mansion with peachy-orange walls, as far as I could tell.

She first got the impression of Mrs. Doheny and went into her bedroom. She said that Mrs. Doheny always "put a bright face on things" although she was very unhappy and did not feel loved. She seemed to feel there was much sadness there and that Mrs. Doheny did not show that to the world.

Fascinating!!

Sandy K

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for telling me that.....

Ned's secretary's name was Hugh Plunkett, although he was called 'Ted' for some reason....

Ned and Ted - - sounds like a love item, doesn't it.....

Hugh probably was mentally ill and was about to be committed. And, he probably did kill Ned and then himself. But, Nell always believed that Lucy killed them both. There were a lot of loose ends, unexplained and tidied up and the case was dropped after 3 days by the cops.

Nell lived in Italy at that time and her father used his influence to hush up everything.

It would be nice to have the facts known finally, but that will never happen; everyone is dead now......

Larry

Yes, Hugh Plunkett, that was the name. It seems that he and Edward had a twisted relationship according to the psychic (for what it's worth) and perhaps that was the reason why Lucy didn't feel loved or happy...

I did read something a long time ago about the case that did say that the bodies had been moved--anything to cover up scandal in those days. I feel sorry for Lucy--I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of Nell's scorn from what you've written about her! A formidable lady. I hope that you don't mind my posting these things, after all, these are real people and they were your family. I mean no disrespect, Larry. I just feel as though I know you and Nell from all your posts!

Sandy K

Sandy,

No disrespect taken. I've brought up the subject, so I don't mind answering anything I know - which isn't much really.....

Nell not only detested Lucy (who got off lightly, really) but also her step-mother, Estelle. I loved Estelle dearly, she was a saint and did many good works. But, I've seen Nell slap her hard across the face on two different occasions and bring Estelle to tears.

My father also was the brunt of Nell's hand and has a scar across his upper lip where Nell backhanded him and cut him with the claws of her ring when he was five. My father wears a mustache to hide his scar....

I, on the other hand, was her golden prince. Lucky me!! Go figure....

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Larry, Sandy and everyone else,

There was a special section in the Los Angeles Times yesterday (the Times is celebrating its 125 birthday).

I was reading the article about film noir and who was there a picture of (besides Robert Mitchum)?

Ned Doheny and his parents. Further into the article as a brief summary of the incident.

Anyways, here is the link:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/history/la-et-125noir3dec03,0,1678791.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Also, there is the picture of Robert Mitchum but if you click on the word photo gallery it will open another window. Click on 2 and that should be the picture of Ned Doheny and parents!

Thanks Lynn,

I appreciate your report and linkage to the story.

That's not Ned's mother in the picture however, it's his step-mother, Estelle. Although Estelle did bring him up from the age of about 5......

Larry

Larry,

I have a thread on Hollywood Landmarks in the Information Please forum. Would love for you to stop by and share your stories about some of them if you have the time!

Lynn and Larry,

Thanks for reminding us of the "Doheny Incident." It's a fascinating story that I don't know too much about. I just did a Google search on Ned Doheny, and there appears to be quite a bit of literature which I'll be very interested to read. Twisted relationships, family quarrels and intrigue, and politics, too. Wow!

Judith,

Your last sentence, minus the politics for me, pretty well sums up my family.

I try not to see any of them if at all possible.

There is a book out called "The Dark Side of Fortune" (I think that's the name). A friend of mine read it and said most of it was boring except the murder/suicide. But he was disappointed Nell wasn't in it - she would have spiced up the story big time.

The murder suicide story is the most interesting. The 'Teapot Dome' scandal is nothing now compared to what's going on in politics. Big noise over nothing!

Larry

Yes, Larry, it's as I always say to myself whenever I hear or read about such stories: "I'm so glad I don't have any money!"

Please, keep 'em coming. It's not just the Hollywood aspects of your remembrances that fascinate, but the accompanying exploration of the human condition. Have there ever been any films or TV movies about this one?