Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Larry's Classic Star Reminiscences

vecchiolarry

Larry with all the threats and accusations thrown at me a couple of months ago..do you think I even considered leaving?? I am STILL HERE!!

Larry for Gods Sake we true board members appreciate and look forward to your stories.

You thank me for continuing the Birthday thread...thank you for your glorious stories.

If you do not post your marvelous stories you have let the Bastards Win.

Do not let a few "Knuckleheads" influence a bad decision!

If you don't reconsider I will raise my agents fee to 75%!!!!

We need stories from you to balance some of the insanity that still gallops on these boards!!!

"Say it ain't so Joe"

Bartlett

• 3 months later...

Larry...even though we are having trouble with the Board....the MAJOR part of your complaint for leaving has vanished with the inception of the "Ignore Function"!

Please come back as life has improved on these Boards....because you can zap any obnoxious Board Member out of your life! ( HOOOORAY!)

This is a Good Start and I know all the other "Kinks" will be resolved sooner or later!

So PLEASE come back Pal!

Bartlett

Hello Bartlett, Miss Gulch & CineMaven,

"When I'mm calling you - ooo,ooo!!!".........

I got a couple of E-Mails saying you 3 were inviting me back. So, here I am!!

This board ddoes seem topsy turvy - Hot Topic is now first and everything else is bumped down. What's with that??

Anyway, if I have anything to say - - important or trivial - - I'll post it....

Thanks for caring.....

Larry

Larry...aside from the "Ignore Function" this is the BEST thing that has happened in a long-long- long time!

Thank You for coming Back! and don't get frustrated..we are all having trouble with these #@*##*##

Boards.

Just hang in there Pal it will get better and a Wonderful "Welcome Back"

"A Very Happy"

Bartlett

Dear Larry,

It's been forty-four pages and (for me) three days absorbed in your stories, and I have to say: you don't need to write a book. Because it is all right here on this wonderful thread, on a terrific-if-slightly-flawed website, available to everyone at no cost, and I for one can't thank you enough. This thread has many layers-- your travels and travails, other posters' stories, along with your reminiscences-- that would never end up in a book, that I loved reading equally as much. Thank you again.

I grew up in Dawson Creek, British Columbia, by the way, not too far from the Alberta border. My parents were from Kansas but Dad was lured north with the promise of a music teaching job and his own Thoreau-ian aspirations. My father now lives in Red Deer. He is an instrument repair technician and the reason I play the flute semi-professionally today. I have one slightly famous person in my family: my great-grandfather was composer Thurlow Lieurance, who wrote "By the Waters of the Minnetonka." Nowhere near the scale of Nell, though!

All the best,

Cara

Hi Cara,

Yes, I know where Dawson Creek is and I certainly know where Red Deer is....

Glad you enjoyed the long and winding thread; there's another one I did when I went to Russia last year at this time called "From Russia with Love". It's probably buried several pages back now or perhaps gone!

I have heard of Thurlow Lieurance and heard his song too. I think it's been in a couple of movies and Red Skelton once sang it on his old TV show, if I'm remembering correctly.

The best to you also,

Larry

Dear Larry,

I wonder if anyone could tell me how to find Red Skelton singing "By the Waters of Minnetonka," or point me toward other performances of the song. I've only heard it on a record sung by my great-grandmother, Edna Lieurance, who was really a very fine soprano. I see copies of the sheet music on ebay all the time!

I plan to save the "From Russia with love" thread for the cold season, and a hot whiskey. :-) I've gotten quite dizzy reading your reminiscences, trying to conjure for myself what it would have been like to hobnob with such a glittering set. I need to get back in touch with the real world!

May I ask, are you still involved with the Calgary Symphony? The "Beethoven in the Badlands" idea sounds quite epic! Classical music is dear to my heart, and I host a classical radio program on my town's public radio station.

Melodiously,

Cara

Hi again Cara,

Yes, I'm still on the Board of Directors of the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra.

My friend, Doreen, and I oversee "Beethoven in the Badlands", which plays out in dinosaur country near Drumheller. It was a great success this year as always.

I really can't help you with finding Skelton singing your great grandfather's song.

I will ask some musicians if they can find out and whether they've heard of Edna Lieurance. There are a great many in the orchestra who know so much about old music. One even has an autographed poster of Luisa Tetrazini on his living room wall....

Larry

Not for nothing Larry.......( I don't have anything anyway ).......but it is such a pleasure knowing your back on the Boards.......it is like having a warm fire...... and a great warm blanket on a cold Winter Night with a Raging Blizzard going on outside, and a Playboy Bunny stuck in the cabin with you because of the storm, with no hope of her leaving for weeks before they plow the roads!

You hope it lasts forever!

Bartlett

Hi Bartlett,

Ha, ha, ha........

It is good to wake up and have a laugh so early in the morning!!!

Now, am I 'the warm fuzzy blanket' or 'the Playboy bunny' - - I'm confused???

I have been described as warm and fuzzy but I do not resemble anything Hugh Hefner would be interested in........

You are certainly a humourous man...

Love Ya (platonically!!).......

Larry

Hi Genevieveannabelle,

Sorry, no I didn't know either Jeannette MacDonald nor Nelson Eddy.

I did attend one concert of Jeannette's around 1956 but never met her. I went with Loretta Young & her mother and sat behind Irene Dunne & her husband. We all attempted to go backstage to congratulate her but she wouldn't receive us. Never found out why???? Tempermental????

Larry

Hi,

Yes, Irene Dunne did go backstage with us.....

I don't know really who she was friends with, since I don't know much about her. I've seen her often enough but she wasn't the warm & fuzzy type of woman.

I do think, however, that she was enormously talented in every aspect of showbusiness.

Larry

Hi Everybody,

I've got my HaagenDas ice cream ready and am going to watch Paulette Goddard in "An Ideal Husband" tonight!!!!!!!!

I have never seen this picture but was at the premier party at the Savoy Hotel in London in late 1947; this is where I first met Paulette.

As my grandmother and I arrived this woman came at us in a huge ermine coat and swept me up into her arms; I was 5 years old.

Later, we danced or rather she twirled me about and laughed, "Look at us, dearie, we're dancing at the Savoy!!"...... I had no idea that was a famous movie....

I've loved her ever since and it will give me goose bumps to see her again tonight.....

Hope you can join Paulette and me.....

Larry

Hi Larry,

I think that not only there have been technical problems concerning the logging in this Site, but also there's some issue going on with the e-mails that one receives when one is "watching" a particular thread. For example, today I received 320 e-mails telling me that there were new posts in the "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" thread which I'm "watching" and there were only three or four new posts (you are supposed to get one e-mail per each new post)....So I think that this poster had a similar experience which he has to address properly to TCM Web in the respective thread.

"Believe it or Not" ...it was I.....700 posts+ Bartlett in the Happy Birthday Thread. I jumped from 807 posts to 1,497 in the matter of 5 Minutes!

It's A MADHOUSE!.......A MADHOUSE I TELL YOU!........GREAT GOOGA-MOOGA!......"It's the Board of Confusion" ( Apologise to the Temptation's 1969 Hit Song.... "Ball Of Confusion")

Larry before I go Down for the third time on this "Titanic" Ship .....Let me just say....."Jive Software SUCKS :P

Now "It's EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF"............."MAN THE LIFEBOATS"............"Don't Panic!"...."It Was Only a SMALL ICEBERG"....."WHY GOD HIMSELF COULDN'T SINK THE "TITANIC CLASSIC MESSAGE BOARDS"

HELP!................ I'M DROWNING IN A SEA OF MY DUPLICATE POSTS!..........THROW ME A LIFESAVER!....... ( Make it Cherry)

I'm ALL WET ( BARTLETT ) " MISTER 700+ "

Bartlett

Larry, did you get to watch your pal Paulette Goddard in "An Ideal Husband"? What did ya think of it. I would imagine that watching Goddard was enough to whet your palate.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to join you and Paulette, with my bowl of popcorn.

Hi Joe,

Well, thank God for you - - at last a cognizant reply!!!!!!!

Yes, I watched the whole movie and Paulette looked great. She was costumed by Cecil beaton and the wardrobe looked like "My Fair Lady" all over again, only more colourful.

I didn't like Paulette's character in this film (she was one nasty b-i-t-c-h!!) but she certainly looked good......

She even wore that big ermine coat I first saw her in. Now I know where that came from!!

The movie is worth seeing and also for Michael Wilding and Glynis Johns but it did tend to be too talkie. Oscar Wilde(ish)......

Larry

Sorry Larry the frustration of this nightmare has me in a tizzy.

It's has got me talking to myself and that is not a good sign!

I will at this point limit my postings to what this thread is intended for!

Did you ever cross paths with one of my favorites Joe E. Brown? HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!.................He was a great & funny man...in "Some Like It Hot" he stole the movie!

I'll try to limit my complaints to TCMWebAdmin who so far has had a deaf ear. ( I think he hopped a freight to Mexico at night with the the CEO of Jive Software :P..........How does he eat? ....."He Steals!" )

Best regards & peace in the coming Days with the help of "The Great GOOGA-MOOGA!"

YOUR Pal

Bartlett

Archived