Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daisysmama

It's a Dog's Life-

Well at first I thought this was a film that glorified dog fighting but actually it's turning out to be pretty cool. Phew! I was worried for a minute!

Edited by: Daisysmama on Sep 8, 2012 6:43 AM

Just want to add, Kudos to TCM for showing such a bull terrier positive film. With all the mania and hating, it's really good to see such a warm hearted and positive film. Still a fan!

Edited by: Daisysmama on Sep 8, 2012 7:29 AM

Sorry I missed it. I will look it up.

I am a sucker for the terriers myself, but I lean more toward the Wire-haired Fox, Scotties, even Miniature Schnauzer variety.

Terriers are the most amazing group of pups in the dog world.

thank you for posting.

I have a miniature dachshund myself, and she is my first dog. She is so wonderful! I didn't know much about dogs before I got Daisy but I've met tons of wonderful dogs (and their people) at the dog park since, and all dogs are amazing in thier own way. Scotty dogs are so adorable.

This film is really adorable with the dog "narrating", all dog lovers will enjoy it. I think people who enjoy a Damon Runyon sort of story also would.

Thanks so much for responding to my post :)

I really like this movie too. It seems all the larger bull terrier types (ie Pits/Bulls/Staffordshires) were popular pets around the turn of the century. I've often seen vintage paintings of them as "nanny dogs" pushing a child's buggy and the like. The Little Rascal's Petey was a bull terrier type.

Seems like their bad reputation is very recent, exploited via the inner city hoodie crowd who enjoys appearing "tough" via their dogs. First it was Dobermans, then Rottweilers and now Pitties. Sad to see these intelligent & loyal dogs get such undeserved reputations.

As some of you may know, I work with dogs & live in the 'hood. Whenever I see a tough guy walking his "big nasty" Pittie, I crouch down & speak baby talk to the pup who instantly starts wagging his tail and licks my face! Usually brings them down a peg or two.

I would say you and I are of two different colors. But, on this topic,

I agree with you completely.

The Pit Bull is actually a very kind and loyal dog with a mellow personality.

Bad men who take advantage of his intense loyalty to his owner are to blame

for his reputation. The Pit Bull will go all out to please his owner.

Helen Keller owned a Pit Bull and The Pit Bull was America's Dog

in the beginning of the 20th Century. He was revered in the Armed

Forces.

Anyway, life has its inconsistencies and Justice Scalia and Ginsburg

are best of friends and dine daily for lunch together.

Jake in the Heartland

Wow I just love those vintage photos! I especially love the Navy poster (I think Navy?)

I agree that the Bully breed is terribly misused and misunderstood. The misuse is deporable. They are such good and loving and loyal dogs.

I try to be active online in dog rescue by sharing stories about dogs in need on my web pages and contributing what I can.

I don't know if I am breaking any rules, but this is a link to my art site, where I donate 100% of my proceeds to dog rescue.

http://society6.com/TheLadyDaisy

You are a good person my lady.

7295224622_b124c3d7d2.jpg

3709048624_fece6d84d3.jpg

That's a female pit bull.

3473754944_bfdb25f512.jpg

Jake in the Heartland

The Famous Petey:

thumbnail.aspx?q=4954752298126747&id=475

Wow-that kid's head could fit right in this dog's mouth:

thumbnail.aspx?q=4965708739576942&id=7b6

It's a well known fact, dogs invented spooning:

thumbnail.aspx?q=5022750220224289&id=dc5

This could be my dog....my pooch has taught many a dog to walk well on a leash, not pull or run away:

thumbnail.aspx?q=4988012515755622&id=9a4

What a great thread! Welcome, Daisysmama. I love pit bulls, and every other kind of dog. Right now I happen to be petsitting for a Lab-Australian Shepherd mix and he's the sweetest thing I've ever met.

More stars and their dogs:

Bogart's dog teaches his master exactly how he should stand so he can complete his jump.

2z4b9tu.jpg

Such great photos! I have a few of my own to share :)

https://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/photo/QQ0x5TtzzNt-YGOe6USbSQ/l.jpg

Unfortunately can't figure it out! Can someone plz give me the code? Thanks in advance

Jake thank you for your kind words. It wasn't plannned, I just liked making these little doodles and was posting them on my facebook, and someone suggested I post on that site. It cost me nothing to make the designs so I thought it would be nice to donate the proceeds.

Edited by: Daisysmama on Sep 24, 2012 6:38 AM

too cute!

It's Terrier Time!

dfamgh.png

h4. Charles Ruggles with his two Terriers-

Nip and Tuck.. no kidding

Edited by: casablancalover2 on Sep 24, 2012 11:39 PM

I'm really enjoying this thread. Nip and Tuck are adorable and how hilarious that he named them that way!

I had a long day, too long to work out the picture code thing, but I really wanted to post some of my old photos so I made a little album for dachshund lovers, and there's one little cartoon I made. I hope you enjoy.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v733/baybesf/hollywood%20dachshunds/

Edited by: Daisysmama on Sep 25, 2012 3:05 AM

6948957116_07e9a82b7d.jpg

3529149121_73dc9f5a98.jpg

The Road Warrior -- Man and Dog -- Mean and Lean -- Ready for Combat

Jake in the Heartland

Awesome dog photos! I found a couple of very moving historic pitbulls.

Sergeant_Stubby.jpg

Stubby was the most decorated dog of World War I. He was adopted by Private J. Robert Conroy and became the mascot of the 102nd Infantry, Yankee Division. He learned a lot about military life including bugle calls and how to execute a salute with his paw. He was smuggled to France when his owner shipped out and allowed to stay when the commanding officer saw him salute.

After surviving exposure to gas, Stubby became invaluable as he had learned to recognize the scent and alert the human soldiers to its presence. He also could recognize English and was able to locate wounded soldiers and alert paramedics. He also was credited with capturing a German spy, who he tripped and attacked until American soldiers took him prisoner.

Stubby was wounded by a grenade and was sent to a Red Cross hospital, where upon his recovery, he became a therapy dog, comforting other soldiers. He was promoted to the rank of sergeant and received many medals, and became the first dog to be received by a sitting president, Woodrow Wilson. He later followed his master to Georgetown and became the Hoyas mascot.

LARGEHelenKeller.jpg

Blind and deaf since the age of 19 months, Helen Keller was an inspirational writer and speaker, and one of the most admired figures in the 20th century. She was an avid animal lover and had many canine companions throughout her long life, including her beloved pit bull, Sir Thomas. In her words:

“Whenever it is possible, my dog accompanies me on a walk or ride or sail. I have had many dog friends...huge mastiffs, soft-eyed spaniels, wood-wise setters and honest, homely bull terriers. At present the lord of my affections is one of these bull terriers. He has a long pedigree, a crooked tail and the drollest "phiz" in dogdom. My dog friends seem to understand my limitations, and always keep close beside me when I am alone. I love their affectionate ways and the eloquent wag of their tails.”

Edited by: Daisysmama on Sep 26, 2012 2:01 AM

5.jpg

There is some debate as to exactly what type of terrier Nipper was, but he was believed to be at least part pit bull. Born in 1884 in Bristol, England. The beloved pet of the brothers Mark Henry, Philip, and Francis Barraud, Nipper is most famous for a portrait of him painted posthumously by Francis. It is a picture of the dog listening with his ear cocked next to a phonograph. Titled “His Master’s Voice”, the painting became the basis for the trademark of RCA.

Later, other dogs were recruited to play Nipper and his fictional sun “Chipper” in print and television ads, but the original Nipper passed away in 1895. He is buried in Kingston-upon-Thames in England, and in 2010, a small road near his burial site was named Nipper Alley.

Edited by: Daisysmama on Sep 26, 2012 1:52 AM