Wish we had men like him who would step up and be fathers

and take care of the nearly fifty percent of babies born out of

wedlock today.

Take care.

Jake

http://www.koko.org/about/facts.html

Edited by: JakeHolman on Apr 6, 2013 11:18 AM

I am glad you brought this up, Jake.

Apes in the wild don't have marriages, so every time they have sex, they can expect a pregnancy. While they do become fathers, the Silverbacks have sex with many females and will impregnate several. I am not sure your parallels are valid.

But speaking to the larger question. Fifty percent of children born out of wedlock doesn't mean they were unplanned. It doesn't mean the children don't have support of a loving father and mother. We can no longer conflate out of wedlock pregnancy as unintended. And while there are men who don't step up to the plate, many do become good fathers in this arrangement, and they do it with strength and respect for the lasting lesson on how to finally become the responsible parent who knows how to raise the next generation of hopefully more responsible adults.

But it is still an outrageous the number of unintended pregnancies out there to unmarried people. It happens most often where there is less education and income, and these couples are young and inexperienced in life in general, or just plain careless. But that doesn't mean we can be smug in assuming it couldn't happen in our family. Even the educated and well-incomed can be careless.

Being a mother of two now grown sons, both their father and I have always tried to instill in them a respect for women. Real respect; not just gentlemanly manners of opening doors, walking her away from the curb, or paying the tab for dinner. But the real respect that grows out of respect for yourself as a man. Treat a woman with deference, interest in her as a person and not a conquest, kindness to her ideas and feelings, and protective to her life and well-being, not just the claptrap of chivalry.

Too many men, and women too, take the bed as part of the dating ritual, not love, and they just don't know the person well enough. I didn't have daughters, but I know what I would say to mine if I had one: Never put yourself in a position of having to get married, for you will never know to your satisfaction if he would have married you just out of love for you and not duty.

People who only selfishly think of their own sexual desires of the moment, and not the consequences of such carelessness, can have a profound effect on the future of everyone. We are actually in the era of sexual responsibility with several forms of reliable birth control available, and those who don't practice it diligently, create something more than an unintended pregnancy: they hurt most their own child. The child who is planned never has to wonder if they were wanted.

A parent, even a good one, can never be sure if their lessons have struck a cord. But the first lesson of a parent is to model behavior you want to see in your own children. Don't let that child's lasting lesson be if you want to get married, get pregnant first. Model to them, respect other people, their feelings and ideas, Do not show a false front to others to get what you want, and live your life as if your dreams matter.

Edited by: casablancalover2 on Apr 6, 2013 9:08 AM

Hey guys I have been down with an awful cold but just wanted to add that I had thoughts similar to Casa's elequent reply regarding male parentage and the Silverback gorilla. In short, that they are unencumbered by society's standards.

Star, I'm so sorry you lost your dogs.

Jake that is a great video!

Some cute photos from my FB feed

531830_454561944623633_1637625258_n.jpg

575641_578214032197344_1519722563_n.jpg

156817_577995388885875_667069251_n.jpg

Edited by: Daisysmama on Apr 8, 2013 2:57 AM

> {quote:title=Daisysmama wrote:}{quote}

>

> Star, I'm so sorry you lost your dogs.

>

>

>

>

:| They went on before I moved here. I got both from a nearby housing project that was torn down; both were Lab/Chow mixes. Daisey was older, black, silky-haired, protective of her many litters and not one to mess around with. She had a Lab look and Chow disposition. Barney was an white pup who grew into an apricot/buff, mostly sweet-tempered, laidback fellow who looked more chow. When I took him home Daisey followed us every time she saw us. When I learned she'd been left behind I let barney persuade me to take her in. They were like a married couple, opposites who attracted and were devoted to each other. If one went to the vet the other got upset and waited at the gate until the return. Both were quite loving to my roomie and me as well as the cats from next door, Daisey even adopted one who snuck through the fence as a kitten. She went first from a stroke; after we buried her in the back yard Barney made a little hole next to her and curled up there for while. When his time came there was no other place even thought of for him to go. My place is too small for pets but I was blessed to have had them for a time.

Star, what a lovely story, thank you so much for sharing it. It is so unfair that we only get them "on loaner" so to speak, because we are gifted with such a short time with our pets. But the time we do have with them is so precious. If you have any photos I would love to see!

Casa those are great cliips, I enjoyed them so much! The "pick of the litter" especially the puppy in the mirror, but all of them are wonderful!

Here are a couple of awesome dachshunds and a chow dog :)

Also just wanted to reply to your comment D{font:arial, sans-serif}pompper.. there are people in the world who don't mind hurting other people be it for gain or ego or even because they are just naive.. a pet will never do that, and I dont think your priorities are skewed at all..{font}

Edited by: Daisysmama on Apr 12, 2013 12:27 PM

What great personalities our dogs have, Daisymama.

>Daisysmama wrote: Also just wanted to reply to your comment Dpompper.. there are people in the world who don't mind hurting other people be it for gain or ego or even because they are just naive.. a pet will never do that, and I dont think your priorities are skewed at all..

I don't know why some can love their pets so adoringly then treat fellow humans so cruelly, I know the reverse can be true as well. I believe our relationship with a pet is the first non-judgmental interaction we have. Maybe it is those early relationships with a pet that sets a pattern.

My favorite youtube videographer has a new one.

h3. Dog Wants a Kitty

>Later note:

>dpompper wrote: yeah, but we didn't get to see the kitten . . . or the dog's reaction to actually SEEING the kitten . . . I feel gypped!

Sigh... That's nice, you totally bought the story.

See, some of us have a wonderful Suspension of Disbelief. I hope you get more out of movies because of it.

Edited by: casablancalover2 on Apr 13, 2013 2:30 PM

Poignant post, Daisysmama. Thank you for that.

Much as been said about the "sixth sense" of animals, animals that warn its owners of danger or animals who seem to "feel" when there's something not right with his two-legged friend. I have friends, a couple, who tell me that when they fight they sometimes go out in their way to speak in low tones because when they talk in loud, angry tones their dog gets very upset and barks and whines.

I had something really strange happen to me last night that I thought would be fun to share. As said here before, I do some petsitting, and there's one dog I sit for who is especially loving. We've been friends for years. :)

Last night I watched the 2007 film, "There Will Be Blood", with Daniel Day Lewis. I don't watch a whole lot of "modern" movies, but if it's a period piece that is well done then I am especially interested. Unfortunately, I have a very low tolerance for gore and psychological violence. There wasn't much in this movie, but somehow the whole thing was very unsettling to me. The actor who played the preacher (Paul Dano) was especially creepy. The ending scene was even more disturbing.

Anyway, when the film was over I was really disturbed and upset and nervous. It was late and I needed to go to bed. I went upstairs and the dog followed me as he always does, lying by my bed for a few minutes until I start falling asleep, after which he goes to his own bed.

I lay in bed and I was having all kinds of anxious thoughts about the movie and the ending scene and the creepiness of Paul Dano. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the dog got up and was very nervous. He kept pacing all around the room and making little whiny noises. At one point he kept trying to get up on the bed, and this dog has never once jumped up on furniture. I was startled, and thought he was trying to warn me about something (as dogs and cats have done). I got up and followed him downstairs and he indicated that he wanted to play, and have a treat! This was also really weird because the dog never does this at late night, at least all the times that I've sat for him. But it seemed he definitely wanted to "pull me out of bed".

Anyway, I went back to bed and again the dog followed me. I was still feeling anxious (I'm kind of a wuss, lol). He lay down, then again got nervous and started pacing around like crazy. Again he tried to jump on the bed. This time I got him to hoist himself up and he lay down, leaning against me (also taking more than half the bed, but I digress). Only then did he quiet down... As I lay there, I really wondered if this dog was picking up on my distress and was comforting me! I was finally able to calm down. The dog's snoring got me up in the middle of the night (lol), but when I looked at the clock I was startled to realize that he'd been there for hours. As said, the dog never stays more than about 5-10 minutes normally.

Today, of course I was in a calmer mood, and the dog was back to his usual self. Okay, maybe my imagination is pretty strong, but I'm sure dog lovers will understand!

*Anderson Cooper is doing a special on bomb sniffing dogs tonight, in case anyone would like to see them raised from puppies to full fledged life savers. There is no link but I believe it's on CNN at 8 pm pst.*

*This is a piece 60 minutes did*

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50145334n

*Some pictures of the comfort dogs who went to Boston*

1C6981132-tdy-130417-comfort-dogs-4.bloc

1C6981390-tdy-130417-comfort-dogs-02.blo

1C6981133-tdy-130417-comfort-dogs-1.bloc

http://www.today.com/pets/distraction-reality-comfort-dogs-bring-peace-boston-victims-1C9406658

*I hope everyone is okay..it's been a rough 10 days.*

*"Heart Warming" tale* :D

*BOY WITH A NEW HEART GIVES DOG A SECOND CHANCE*

scotch1.jpeg

A young boy named Gabe Leon got a second chance when he received a heart transplant. His second chance helped lead to a dog named Scotch getting his second chance as well.

Three weeks ago Angela McGhee, founder of [s.A.V.E. Rescue|https://www.facebook.com/SaveRescueCoalition] was having trouble finding homes for three pit bull mixes that were at the Alvin Animal Control. City ordinances in many Texas cities don’t allow for pit bulls to be placed in homes. The only hope for the three pit bull mixes, including Scotch, was to be taken by a rescue to find a home elsewhere. Using Facebook McGhee and Alvin Animal Control got the word out about the three dogs. “All three had been living there for almost two months; they were running out of time,” said McGhee.

Melanie Leon saw Scotch’s picture on Facebook and thought he might be perfect for her son Gabe for his 12^th^ birthday. When Gabe was 10-years-old he underwent a heart transplant. His transplant has been a success but he was forced to give up his dog when his anti-rejection medicine caused him to develop severe allergies. “It broke my heart to have to find a new home for Kevin,” said Leon. “That dog helped him through so much. But the doctors said he was just too sick, and we couldn’t take any chances.” As time has passed Gabe has gotten better and his allergies have gone away and Leon knew he was ready for a dog again. Leon contacted McGhee asking whether she could adopt Scotch and if he’d be a good fit for her son.

McGhee is usually leery of adopting dogs out to people from far away who she doesn’t have the opportunity to meet, especially when it comes to pit bulls. “Many times people email us from outside of the state wanting to adopt animals, and we generally don’t do that because we can’t get to know the person, and transporting the animal is expensive,” said McGhee. “Plus, they probably have plenty of animals who need homes where they live! It kind of raised a red flag, to be honest…that someone from so far away wanted to adopt this pit bull mix. It’s sad but sometimes we are a little suspicious when it comes to pit bulls.”

Then another email changed everything. Dr. Susan Pickle is a local veterinarian and by chance happened to know Melanie Leon. They had met when Gabe was in the hospital waiting for his transplant, at the same time Pickle was there with her great-nephew Liam. Only one-year-old Liam was also waiting for a heart transplant. Sadly Liam didn’t survive, but while at the hospital Dr. Pickle had spent a lot of time with Leon as they both waited in fear and anxiety as these young boys they loved waited for their second chance.

Dr. Pickle knew the Leons would be a great family for Scotch. “I was thrilled she wanted to adopt him,” said Dr. Pickle. “This story is all about second chances, and this is an amazing home, an amazing second chance for Scotch!” Leon had contacted Dr. Pickle about Scotch and hoped she could convince S.A.V.E. that the Leons were the right home for Scotch. With Dr. Pickle’s help S.A.V.E. agreed and this week with the help of the volunteer organization[ K9 Airlift|http://www.k9airlift.org/content/] Scotch made the trip to Arkansas to meet Gabe just in time for is birthday.

scotch.jpg

* {font:Verdana}{size:11px}Scotch meets his new family the Leons{font}*

• TomJH changed the title to It's A Dog's Life On Film