Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's a Dog's Life-

Jake, thank you for the puppy photo. I didn't realize the Pembroke tails are docked. Boo and Hiss! They still have cuter faces.

Loved that Kommandor as well. Their black version, the Puli, and they sometimes make the finals and always get a lot of positive audience reaction.

>Jake, thank you for the puppy photo. I didn't realize the Pembroke tails are docked. Boo and Hiss! They still have cuter faces.

Star,

I'm no expert but I do know not all Pembrokes are born with long

tails. They are born with the stub which makes them distinctive.

But, some are and there are those who believe it's inhumane and

cruel to dock the tails when they are pups.

I am not a breeder or vet so I will reserve judgment. There are always

two sides and more of a story.

That being said, I can see a day when pressure will mount to

have no Pembrokes docked and allow them to compete for show

at Westminster.

Have a great evening.

Jake

I only saw a little of Westminster this year but agree that the corgi and the bloodhound were my favorites of the final group. But the terrier was adorable. I also agree about poodles & that haircut. And mutts will always be my favorite!

As for docking tails and ears, I don't understand how that can be defended. Would any of us want someone to decide to ampute part of our ears or an appendenge because it's considered desirable? My Kiwi usually seems unaware her tail is attached to her as it blows and sweeps away things in her wake but I know she'd miss it if it were gone. Wagging is tied with playing as her third favorite thing to do (after eating & sleeping - she's older!).

Edited by: Calamity on Feb 19, 2014 4:36 PM so what was meant to be a general comment didn't appear to be directed at anyone in particular

Hi Everyone, I'd like to introduce you to Miss Cozy, who is 13 weeks old, teething and a handful! I was not planning on bringing a dog home the day I saw Cozy being sold on craigslist, but she found me!

101_0362.jpg

101_0338.jpg

!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/baybesf/101_0335.jpg

Thanks so much guys, she is a hand full! 2 hands and a couple of arms full!

e90aa431-2521-4e55-b6dd-ec56f6367973.jpg

ee30b045-675c-43b1-a5be-81fc6a055a8a.jpg

This little puppy had 3 homes before she got to mine, at 10 weeks of age.

The couple who were advertising her had her for 3 days during which they kept her in a crate and fed her only kibble. They absolutely had no idea about raising a puppy.

They bought her from another young couple who had her for 10 days, who left her in a crate all day work.

Cozy was first named "Havoc" and then "Holly" and I named her Cozy because we get along just fine. :)

Jake: I was just feeling well enough to watch the "Krewe of Barkus" parading their stuff at Mardi Gras. That's probably the only part you could watch with your kids as they had on more clothes than some of the humans I've seen. And you wonder why we have dominion over the earth? Thanks a lot.

>Jake: I was just feeling well enough to watch the "Krewe of Barkus" parading their stuff at Mardi Gras. That's probably the only part you could watch with your kids as they had on more clothes than some of the humans I've seen. And you wonder why we have dominion over the earth? Thanks a lot.

Star, when I lived in New Orleans, I didn't go to the French Quarter

during Mardi Gras nearly as much as I did go to the parades in the

local communities such as Metairie, La. Lots of fun.

We have dominion over the Earth because God made it so.

Have a great evening.

Jake

:)

Edited by: JakeHolman on Mar 6, 2014 8:12 PM

You're a Catholic so you should understand the debauchery before

lent better than I.

We have dominion over the Earth because God made it so.

Please read my e-mail as this is too deep for here. It's based on my experience. I've never encountered anything as bawdy as I hear Mardi Gras is.

>Please read my e-mail as this is too deep for here. It's based on my experience. I've never encountered anything as bawdy as I hear Mardi Gras is.

Star, hope you're havin' a great evening. The local parades are not like

the ones in the French Quarter. Much more behaved where kids can

go to 'em. Drunks? Yep. Problems? Yep but not like you will find

in the French Quarter.

The topic of slavery has come up. Perhaps you know there are homes

in the French Quarter attached to the old slave quarters.

They are elegant.

Jake.

PS. I answered your PM.

Edited by: JakeHolman on Mar 6, 2014 8:04 PM

5082018408_2057b29b3f.jpg

I knew, with Ol' Rupe being 14 1/2 years old as an English Pointer, that this might be his last autumn, so I flew him out to Montana at the end of August to spend the glorious month of September out there to accompany me on days afield and astream. He was too old to be on the traveling squad, let alone the starting team for this fall's bird season. But we did a couple hunts out there together and he gave me an indelible point on a group of sharptails one evening as a tangerine sun raked a hillside with its fiery rays.

From the It's a Dog's Life Archives.

Jake in the Heartland

• TomJH changed the title to It's A Dog's Life On Film