Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieGal53

Dark Passage

I am going to try once again (in vain?) to explain my earlier post. LOL

By routine, I did not mean it turned out to be a routine movie. I meant that there were routine studio practices used to produce it. It is an assembly line effort, regardless of the cast and budget, because it is coming out of the Warner Brothers factory.

This said, I think that while it is based on a book, it is still very much an in-house type story that recycles successful elements from earlier films at the studio. I also happen to feel this way about WHITE HEAT, which in many ways is a replay of the gangster film cycle of the 1930s. Yet, like Bogart & Bacall, we have Jimmy Cagney who elevates the material and makes it seem more prestigious than the film might actually be, particularly if we examine the script to see how original and literate it is in its use of language and visual symbolism.

Speaking of PBS, for those in the NY tri-state area DARK PASSAGE will air Saturday, September 15 at 9 pm on WNET channel 13.

I think that *White Heat* and its script is very "original and literate ... in its use of language and visual symbolism."

It is far more complex and sophisticated than the earlier gangster movies that were its antecedents. The character of Jarrod Cody alone is much more complicated and bizarre than any of Cagney's earlier criminal personas.

Yes, Cagney is great in it, but it's a great movie anyway; it's not as though *White Heat* would have turned out to be a mediocre movie were it not for Cagney's performance. It's beautifully written, filmed, and produced. It's got an unusual storyline with memorable characters. And it's got an ending unlke any gangster film before it.

>I am going to try once again (in vain?) to explain my earlier post. LOL

I think it's just about impossible to say anything at all about any classic movie or classic actor, without offending someone who wants to go off on a rant. :)

Well to me 'routine' implied a studio programmer and as Arturo points out this was NOT the case with Dark Passage. Far from it in fact. Take the fact the star, Bogie doesn't appear at all in the first 40 or so minutes and the unique filming (camera) technique used at the start.

As others also noted Bogie didn't play 'Rick' in this movie. WB clearly put Bogie in movies after Casablanca where he plays a tough guy hero. Those were 'routine' pictures in that they were developed and marketed to cash in on Bogie as hero. Not the case with Dark Passage.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Sep 9, 2012 5:45 PM

Yes *White Heat* had that new creepy angle, not only was Cagney a nut but he has a criminal mother that shadowed along and made him go boom at the end. Most/All of the older movies had Ma as the nice innocent mother that pretended she didn't know what son was up to. This movie brought in Ma as a real participant into the action.

Glad to see there are so many fans of this film! It does tend to get less attention than the other 3 they made.

2 things I always think about when I see this film, happen towards the end of the film. 1st, can you imagine anyone not recognizing Bogart's voice in about 2 words? But Agnes Moorehead's character doesn't, but of course we get a great reaction from her when she does figure out who it is.

Also, (Spoiler alert, though most everything has already been given away already) I wish dear Agnes, that they had her trip over a footstool, a cat, something, anything for her to fall out the window. She should know her own apartment, why did she fall out the window like that? She didn't just turn suicidal, did she???

As for Agnes falling out the window; I have seen this many times (but not in slowed down), and to me Agnes pull on something to the viewers right (her left), right before she ' out the window.

Does anyone here, see what I saw? If one has a DVD of the movie, please slow it down and look at that scene. To me Agnes clearly reaches for something in a bureau. Again, it looks like she pulls on something and then,,, she is gone out that window.

Either way, she didn't fall. To me it is clear that she committed suicide. She did this to ensure Bogie would never be able to prove she was the murderer. (in fact Bogie would be accused for killing yet another person he didn't kill).