Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gonna Groove Hard to The Whistler and Jungle Jim this morning!

markbeckuaf

Rainy Saturday morning and this week on Saturday features another entry in "The Whistler" series, this time THE POWER OF THE WHISTLER from 1945, featuring Richard Dix (who stars in all but the last entry in the series) and the luscious Janis Carter! Really atmospheric and psychological dramas on a low budget, but rises above that limitation to provide an excellent viewing!

And following this, another entry in the "Jungle Jim" series, with Johnny Weissmuller, in THE LOST TRIBE (1949)!!

Rock out! Thank you, TCM for an out of sight groove-a-licious Saturday morning!

Mark, I always love your enthusiastic heads up on whast to watch on Saturday--especially, if it's a rainy day to stay home and catch TCM's Saturday at the Bijou fare.

I do wish they'd continue showing some of those great Saturday afternoon serials--only this time I wish they'd feature some from Republic's gems from the 40s--like "Spy Smasher", "Adventures of Captain Marvel" and from l939, "Daredevils of the Red Circle."

Keep us posted--I always look for your recommendations!

Thank you very much, Princess Ananka!! I used to do a weekly grooves selection but haven't found time to get back to it yet, but hopefully soon! Meanwhile, I will definitely keep posting reminders of films TCM is airing that are grooving!

I also share your desire to see more serials and hopefully TCM will do that for us again. I think they have been great to be doing it on Saturdays from time to time and I predict we'll see more in the future at some point.

Mark, really miss your weekly grooving reports! I'm like a ship without a rudder without them, or I should say my DVR is!

Maybe I can get a mini grooving report out of you.

Browsing through the list of B films tomorrow I was thinking of recording:

Powder Town

This Could Be the Night

Criminal Court

Do you know anything about these three? Are they worth a look?

By the way, I'm loving the Whistler series too!

Calvin, sorry that I didn't see your post until too late! I hope you recorded all of those flicks you mentinoed for later viewing! I'd not seen the first two before, but they looked good, but CRIMINAL COURT is a remake, of sorts, of HAT, COAT AND GLOVE, and Tom Conway is always good and here he is as well! I hope you had a chance to see all of these!

Hey, we've got another Whistler and Jungle Jim on Saturday morning (Sept 22, 12), and Johnny O'Clock (1947) noir Saturday night.

===================

All Times Eastern:

10:45 AM Mysterious Intruder, The (1946)

A detective discovers the woman he's been hired to track down is the key to an unusual inheritance. (Whistler)

Dir: William Castle Cast: Richard Dix , Barton MacLane , Nina Vale .

BW-62 mins, TV-PG,

=====================

12:00 Noon Mark of the Gorilla (1950)

Jungle Jim tries to stop a Nazi band masquerading as apes from retrieving a golden treasure.

Dir: William Berke Cast: Johnny Weissmuller , Trudy Marshall , Suzanne Dalbert .

BW-68 mins, TV-PG,

12:00 Noon Mark of the Gorilla (1950)

Jungle Jim tries to stop a Nazi band masquerading as apes from retrieving a golden treasure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, THIS was where Spielberg got the idea for "Raiders of the Lost Ark, HUH?!

Yeah...:"classic", alright!

ROFL

Hey Fred, you MAY disagree with me here, BUT I think Steven's version was "just a little" better done than these Johnny(by then over-the-hill)Weissmuller Jungle Jim grade-C films...and even THOUGH Steven's film was made after that "magic date" of yours of 1960!!!

ROFL

Okay, now if I can only stop laughing here, I WILL say that I've TRIED to watch these Jungle Jim flicks the last two saturday mornings, BUT I gotta say these "classics" sure don't live up to how I remember 'em and back when I first watched 'em when I was about seven years old in the late '50s on our family's 17in Philco TV set.

(...nope sorry, but they're pretty lame, especially when Weismuller jumps into rivers and wrestles obviously fake alligators, WHICH of course are stand-ins for Crocodiles...saaaay, maybe there IS a reason for all this "CGI" stuff occasionally nowadays, EH?!)

ROFL

Edited by: Dargo2 on Sep 21, 2012 10:45 PM

Saturday 9-22-12

All Times Eastern:

-------------------------

10:45 AM *The Mysterious Intruder* (1946) (The Whistler)

A detective discovers the woman he's been hired to track down is the key to an unusual inheritance.

Dir: William Castle

Cast: Richard Dix , Barton MacLane , Nina Vale .

BW-62 mins, TV-PG,

--------------------------

12:00 Noon *Mark of the Gorilla* (1950)

Dir: William Berke

Cast: Johnny Weissmuller , Trudy Marshall , Suzanne Dalbert .

BW-68 mins, TV-PG,

I've found Jungle Jim hard to get into, but I've really loved The Whistler series so far. Much like a forties version of Night Gallery. The 10:45AM Saturday Columbia series of films that have been airing over the last year - Crime Doctor, Lone Wolf, Boston ****, The Whistler - have been very good and very enjoyable.

Poor Richard Dix. That's two Whistler movies I've seen him in, and he makes out badly - i.e., dead - in both.

Did he ever get any respect? I know he played cowboys, but I hate cowboy movies. I found him very talented and his voice like a caramel ice cream sundae. Did he get to play a real detective?

Okay, okay, so maybe I'm smitten with Richard, and doggone it, he died at age 56. Another Minnesota boy (like my future husband Warren), he was an animal lover, so that means he was a good guy.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings