Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unforgettable casts! in less than unforgettable movies.

skimpole

To start off with, I've never seen Bell, Book and Candle. The most striking thing about it is the idea that one would make a romantic comedy starring James Stewart and Kim Novak. Of course, no one in 1958 thought Vertigo would 54 years later considered the greatest movie ever made. But then it wasn't obvious in 1960 that Psycho would also be a classic film, and the idea of having Janet Leigh and Anthony Perkins together in a light romantic comedy wasn't the kind of icky idea that it seems in retrospect.

The point of this post is to discuss great casts in movie history, and the somewhat less memorable movies they also appeared. Now obviously, some stars are noted for appearing together in movies, Astaire/Rogers, Tracy/Hepburn, Grant/Hepburn, Flynn/De Havailand. Obviously sequels have many of the same cast. And obviously some directors have the same actors appear again. While Walter Brennan and John Wayne's characters in Red River and Rio Bravo are not identical, they have obvious similarities. By contrast, the characters Robert Duvall and James Caan play in The Rain People are very different from the ones they play in The Godfather. The characters Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles play in Citizen Kane and The Thirdd Man (obviously not involving the same director) are less obviously different.

Bogart often seemed to unite with his memorable casts, starting of course with his wife. He reappears with Mary Astor and Sydney Greenstreet in Across the Pacific and with Greenstreet in Conflict. He also appears with Greenstreet and Peter Lorre and Claude Rains in Passage to Marseilles, also directed by Michael Curtiz. He also appears pre Casablanca with Lorre and Conrad Veidt in All Through the Night. With all this in mind can you think of great casts (try to think of more than two) reappearing or preappearing in other movies?

I think this is an interesting thread topic that does not deserve to have floated down to page 3 with nary even one response.

I do not know why others did not respond to it, I can only say that I read it and wanted to reply to it, only to realize that, embarrassingly for me, I could not think of a movie that fit skimpole's description.

And yet I'm sure there must be many.

Can anyone think of one, other than what the O.P. cites as an example?

There's Bogart, Astor and Greenstreet in ACROSS THE PACIFIC, which is hardly the equal of THE MALTESE FALCON.

Lancaster and Kerr in THE GYPSY MOTHS are only wishing and hoping for another FROM HERE TO ETERNITY.

Grant and Kerr have one film to remember in AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER, and while I like THE GRASS IS GREENER which has them both, I've yet to hear anyone liking DREAM WIFE.

I'm not sure I really understand the topic here. For example, Powell Loy; There were in many great movies (The Thin Man, Libel etc...), but they were also put into some lame ones. If the 'goal' here to name those lame movies? Note that even in these lesser movies the team still shines to some degree but clearly the material wasn't up to pare as it relates to the talent of the stars.

Not sure either of the intent of the thread. But here goes a couple:

Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer:

LOVE AFFAIR

WHEN TOMORROW COMES

TOGETHER AGAIN

While I like all of these, only the first is considered a classic.

Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda:

THE MAD MISS MANTON

THE LADY EVE

YOU BELONG TO ME

Again, I enjoy them all (even TMMM!), but only THE LADY EVE is a classic.

LP, I thought the title meant movies like CLUE with great casts and less than great results.

THE COBWEB - love the cast, but they were lucky it wasn't "curtains" for their careers

UNDERCURRENT - Katharine Hepburn had minimal chemistry with Robert Taylor and negative chemistry with Robert Mitchum

Of course, no one in 1958 thought Vertigo would 54 years later considered the greatest movie ever made.

It wasn't. The poll was bunk.

Good casts in junk movies? Evil Under The Sun and Murder On The Orient Express. Both Christie, both junk.

But then it wasn't obvious in 1960 that Psycho would also be a classic film, and the idea of having Janet Leigh and Anthony Perkins together in a light romantic comedy wasn't the kind of icky idea that it seems in retrospect.

What was the light romantic comedy they were both in? Brrrrrrrrrrr. I can't imagine it.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

> Good casts in junk movies? Evil Under The Sun and Murder On The Orient Express. Both Christie, both junk.

I disagree strongly regarding Murder On The Orient Express...it's a great movie, probably the best (and it was the first) of the Brabourne/Goodwin productions of Christie stories. Nominated for six Oscars and won one for Ingrid Bergman.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > Unforgettable casts! in less than unforgettable movies.

> The Magnificent Ambersons.

I agree...even considering the tampering that RKO did to the film after it was finished, I've never been that impressed with it. I actually find it rather dull, unlike Citizen Kane , which I never tire of watching and find tremendously entertaining. The A&E remake of Ambersons, which was done about 10 years ago, I actually enjoyed...even with its 3 hour running time.

I'm glad you feel that way.

Here's an interesting radio version of the story, as it was presented by the Mercury Theater players in 1939. Notice how it moves right along quite rapidly, and it concludes in less than 55 minutes. Orson Welles plays George, and the Fanny character is completely left out of this radio version.

http://radioarcana.net/stations/xexs/1939/10/29/the-magnificent-ambersons-26/

Here are some fan reviews about both the radio version and the movie:

http://www.wellesnet.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1244

Note that one reviewer says: Tony: My view is that the Mercury Theater on the Air production was Booth Tarkington's "The Magnificent Ambersons," but the movie was to be Orson Welles' THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS.

I should be clearer in what I'm looking for. I'm not just thinking of mediocre movies that waste their casts (Stanley Kramer's movies immediately come to mind). I'm thinking of a cast of a classic movie and seeing it reappear in a less than classic movie, i.e the stars of Vertigo reappearing in Bell, Book and Candle.

> {quote:title=SonOfUniversalHorror wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

> > Good casts in junk movies? Evil Under The Sun and Murder On The Orient Express. Both Christie, both junk.

> I disagree strongly regarding Murder On The Orient Express...it's a great movie, probably the best (and it was the first) of the Brabourne/Goodwin productions of Christie stories. Nominated for six Oscars and won one for Ingrid Bergman.

I actually also think Murder on the Orient Express is awesome. Love it to bits. Death on the Nile isn't as good, but I like it too.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}OK. Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine in the great THE APARTMENT, then re-united in the mediocre IRMA LA DOUCE.

This is a good example. Not that IRMA LA DOUCE is bad, but with that cast and director it should have been a lot better. Another film like that for me is HIGH SOCIETY. Not that it's bad, it's good, but it should be amazingly fantastic with that cast, music, and source material. I know a lot of you people love it, so I feel like I'm taking my life into my hands my saying this. I like it, I'm just disappointed with the adaptation and the timing and such-- it should have been so incredible, but it's not--it's good, perhaps even great, but not earth-shattering incredible like it should be with that cast. It's a disappointment to me that it's not better than the original (to me it's not even as good). I know a lot of you disagree, but this is America and I'm entitled to my opinion! :)

TopBilled the topic was the same cast in a great movie and than a not so great movie (yea, that was confusing but the original poster did clarify that).

So while Not As A Stranger would be a great pick for great cast, OK movie, I don't know of any other movies this cast was in. But yea what a cast!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings