Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LsDoorMat

Barbara Stanwyck is December Star of the Month

The title of this thread is really all I have to say. I'll start posting what I have of the schedule on a different thread hopefully some time this weekend. Wednesday is her day so she'll get four nights in her honor this month.

Here's hoping they show "Night Walker" - I haven't seen that one in years.

As far as I know, every Stanwyck film is accounted for except one. She did an uncredited fan dance in a silent film entitled "Broadway Nights" in 1927, and that is presumed lost.

Columbia pictures has rights to her third film 1929's "Mexicali Rose", and I think that it has been very rarely televised. I personally have never seen it. However it is not lost, just in bad shape.

I'm a Stanwyck fan, so this is good news. My one reservation with this is that with Barbara in December and Constance Bennett in November, it probably means Loretta Young won't be SOTM in January, the centenary month of her birth, since TCM might be reluctant to give SOTM to actresses for three consecutive months. (Perhaps it's happened before, and I'm sure someone here can supply the answer.) Anyway, I hope I'm wrong.

> {quote:title=VP19 wrote:}{quote}I'm a Stanwyck fan, so this is good news. My one reservation with this is that with Barbara in December and Constance Bennett in November, it probably means Loretta Young won't be SOTM in January, the centenary month of her birth, since TCM might be reluctant to give SOTM to actresses for three consecutive months. (Perhaps it's happened before, and I'm sure someone here can supply the answer.) Anyway, I hope I'm wrong.

What TCM could do is what I recall that they did for Jose Ferrer's 100th birthday - give her the entire 24 hours of programming as a tribute.

Ooh Barbara Stanwyck! I've only just discovered her this summer when they gave "Ball of Fire" on Essentials Jr. and when they gave "East SIde West Side" in August. (Both movies are wonderful; She portrays two different women very believably) I think that she is wonderful and quirky. I wish I was a better authority on her works, can anyone recommend some of her better movies so that I may watch out for them?

They are showing THIS IS MY AFFAIR and THE MAVERICK QUEEN, two that I have been anxious to see.

Interestingly, CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT does not seem to be on the schedule. Considering this is for the month of December and that title is in the Turner Library, I am wondering why it is not included...?

I like Barbara Stanwyck, and I love many of her movies, but amidst all the worship of the woman on the TCM board, I just have to say what I've said before: She is perhaps the most overrated actress in the history of Hollywood, at least on these boards, where she is queen. She's ok, many of her films are great, but that's it, IMHO.

Jezebelle- there are so many wonderful Barbara Stanwyck films to see. Luckily, *The Lady Eve* will be shown on TCM Sept 16 @ 1:45pm. *Stella Dallas* an earlier film will be shown in October.

I wouldn't say that Stanwyck is Queen of these boards. Bette Davis gives her a run for her money. She is certainly Queen with Eugenia, who hopefully will be back freom India by December.

Hey, what great news! It's Christmas at TCM! :)

My internet connection is terrible here in Goa, India (a remote resort area), but calvinnme I look forward to taking a look at your posted schedule when you get around to it. I'll be back to the U.S. on September 18th, plenty of time before the broadcasts. I won't have TCM, but I have friends that do. :)

One of the only Stanwyck films I haven't yet seen is VARIETY GIRL. Well, it's not really a "Stanwyck film" - she is one of a group of stars in it. I don't know if they will broadcast this one. Has anyone, by chance, seen it?

A difference of course, Fi, is that Bette Davis is one of very few actresses who deserve to be Queen of these boards! I do like BS and her films -- just think the adulation is excessive. As blond Brooklynites go, I prefer Joan Blondell or Mae West.

Didn't know Eugenia was in India, where did you go Eugenia? Alot of my studies focused on Indian culture, and I was planning a trip overland to India many years ago, but decided to stay in Edinburgh instead. I had a professor who chanted beautifully in Sanskrit. I've produced many performances/lectures related to Indian music and dance, as well as a festival with Ismail Merchant.

Hi Swithin,

On this trip I've been to Delhi, Mumbai, now Goa, moving on to Bangalore and then to the south. I work at a university, and I am a co-director of a seminar that takes students all over to learn about businesses and Indian culture.

I used to live in India over a period of 12 years (not continuously). I lived in an Ashram, so I learned much about Vedanta. I also traveled all over during that time so I've seen much of India.

Fascinating, Eugenia! My degree is in History of Religions. I expressed it in my work as a performing arts producer, producing many performances of Bharata natyam, Odissi, Kathak, dance, etc. Also worked on lectures/panels on the tradition, including one with Akram Khan and contemporary choreographers. Presented many musical performances, including one featuring Yesudas and another on the music of the Jewish communities of India. Also worked with Yash Raj films on a couple of projects.

I hope you continue to enjoy your trip!

*"And another one I have wanted to see for a long time: A MESSAGE TO GARCIA from 1936"* - cody1949

Cool! Me too - though I admit I have been more interested in seeing the film for Wallace Beery than Barbara Stanwyck.

Copy of MessageToGarcia1936LRG

It appears that TCM has mined Fox for many "new" titles for this go round of Barbara Stanwyck as "Star Of The Month". *A Message To Garcia* and *This Is My Affair* will both be premieres (I think).

Copy of ThisIsMyAffair1937LRG_40x60

Limited Edition Silkscreen Poster

I wonder if we can also expect to see *Banjo On My Knee* which was left out of Joel McCrea's SOTM in May. I'd like to see that one.

Copy of BanjoOnMyKnee1936LRG

Limited Edition Silkscreen Poster

Here's hopin'...

Yes, because of Wallace Beery also. I hope TCM will eventually show THE MIGHTY BARNUM and the very,very,very rare BEGGARS OF LIFE. The last one especially for Louise Brooks.

And I admit that I would like to see Banjo on My Knee more for Helen Westley than for BS!

*calvinme,*

Thanks for the wonderful news! I can't think of a better way to spend the holiday season then with Stanwyck as SOTM.

Thank you,TCM!

SOOO HAPPY! I usually dont like repeat SOTM, but in Babs' case I take exception. She made so many films, they can show a good variety. Hopefully some pre-codes (and others I havent seen). It DOES seem odd they arent showing Xmas in CT.............Since many of her early 30s films are short they can easily show 6 or 7 films per night most of the month............

Edited by: Hibi on Sep 10, 2012 4:38 PM