Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Zorba the Greek

janngumbiner

Lucky the did it in B&W because they won 2 Academy awards for best B&W cinematography as well as art direction. Had the movie been in color it would have competed with "My fair Lady" and as it was B&W it competed with "Night of the Iguana" and won the 2 1964 academy awards as well as best supporting actress LiLa Kedrova (.French war widow named Madame Hortense)

The arid island of crete would have required set color enhancments and proposed problems with wardrobe color balancing. The film would *not* have been improved by color and would not be the work of art that it is. Zorba is a beautiful film I can watch again and again. I love the Cimbalom music.

I love *Zorba the Greek*, I remember seeing it for the first time at the Ridgeway Theater in Stamford, CT. So glad Lila Kedrova won, in fact I just watched her acceptance speech on YouTube, very moving. Some great ladies nominated along with her, although -- who the heck is Grayson Hall?

But Best Actor that year, I think, was one of Oscar's worst mistakes. The worst man won! Quinn should have won, but if not Quinn, then Sellers, Burton, or O'Toole. But who won? Rex Harrison, who walked through the role of Henry Higgins!

<Grayson Hall is best known for playing Dr. Julia Hoffman on DARK SHADOWS. She also did a lot of off-Broadway. Loved her in NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, a much-deserved nomination.>

I concur wholeheartedly. How anyone can get her/himself so worked up so quickly and not spontaneously combust . . . ?!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings