Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OT: Those Krazy Kommercials!

Sepiatone

One thing we all like about watching movies on TCM is the absence of commercial inturruption. But sometimes when watching standard TV WITH commercial breaks can be okay due to the fact that many commercials seem to be better written and more entertaining than some of the shows they're inturrupting. Often, many of them use cutting edge special effects that eventually make it into major motion pictures. But the HUMOR involved in many of them can be unforgettable. For me, one that never gets old is the Clorox ad where the little boy informs Mom that, "I went POO!" After Mom congratulates him and goes into the bathroom and looks first in his little potty chair, then into the big toilet, turns and asks him, "Where?", he points to the TUB!

But others seem to be too outlandish for what they're advertising. Once, I thought I was watching the trailer for a fantastic looking Sci-Fi film with really cool looking special effects, but it turned out to be a commercial for....CHEWING GUM! Another cutting edge trailer for a cool looking Sci-Fi flick was an ad for some CELL PHONE!.

Yes, I know there are way too many TV ads that insult the intelligence. But at least there are those that can be REALLY fun to view, and provide a sense of humor that brightens up the fact that they're inturrupting something you really like to view. Kudos to THEM!

Sepiatone

I would never applaud the commercials. I can't stand them and watch as little commercial TV as possible. Some channels aren't as bad as others. METV dosen't have as many commercial interruption as other channels and they 'ease' into and out of them at the spot that was meant for the commercial insertion. Other channels will abruptly break into commercial at the most inconvient time. Then those advertisers that try to convince gullible viewers that the commercials during the Super Bowl, are something special. I can do without commercials. We have to pay for cable service and are still subjected to so many commercials. The networks are double dipping. charging for the broadcast rights and charging the sponsors that pass the cost off to us gullible viewers.

> {quote:title=aimalac wrote:}{quote}Then those advertisers that try to convince gullible viewers that the commercials during the Super Bowl, are something special.

They're not, IMHO either...they're simply more expensive and/or more extravagant...but there are still commercials like that which can be seen year-round.

> {quote:title=aimalac wrote:}{quote}Other channels will abruptly break into commercial at the most inconvenient time.

Yep...can't stand that either. One really bothersome thing which annoys me is when a program or movie clearly has a spot that was meant for where a commercial should be...like a fadeout then it goes right back to the program with a fadein...but the station puts the commercials either before or after that point. You see it all the time on Cartoon Network, where it's clear the video master CN got was designed for where the commercial breaks should go (usually on movies)...but they run them at other spots. Really annoying.

That is why I think METV is so good. They have a fade to black when entering and exiting commercials. I've been recording "The Honeymooners" Lost Episodes and it's really easy to edit out the commercials. And AntennaTV telecasts "The Three Stooges" and doesn't interrupt the program. They insert their commercials in-between the Stooges shorts. Those sort of commercials I can tolerate because they're easy to edit and it doesn't interfere with the program flow.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but some are little masterpieces of communication. I used to love to watch the shows about the Clio awards. A lot of countries have commercials better than ours. At least they cross a few lines ours don't.

I can just hear the sponsor's reaction to this one ("You used our money to build what ?1?).

Imnsho, 99.9999% of commercials are crap, but the others can be wonderful.

That's just what I'm TALKIN' 'BOUT, Capuchin! I basically don't like commercials either. But there ARE the ones that just tickle the "shoot" out of you. And how many here are old enough to remember how popular the VOLKSWAGEN commercials were in the '60's? People couldn't WAIT to see what they'd come up with next.

I'm in total agreement with the poster who commented on cable networks "double dipping". Been making that same complaint for years.

Here's one that proposes the claim that there are TV ads that one can see once, but recall them with a level of affection:

I only saw this ad ONCE about 25 years or so ago, but NEVER forgot it. It just struck my sense of humor in an unforgettable way...

It was for some brand of frozen cookie dough that came in sheets of break-away squares that you place on a cookie sheet. Anyway, it started out with the brand name "presents, MR. Impatient!" You see an odd looking man pacing back and forth behind an easy chair. His wife enters and asks him "What's the matter, dear?"

He replies, "I'm waiting for my PROGRAM to come on! WHAT'S keeping it?"

His wife says, "How about while you're waiting we bake some cookies?"

"COOKIES!" he yells, "That'll take TOO LONG!"

THEN the wife goes into the spiel that it only takes a few minutes with the product that's advertised. "Just break off the squares, place them on a sheet, and in a few minutes you have delicious cookies to eat while you're watching your program."

It then cuts to Mr. Impatient sitting in his chair, watching his program while munching cookies. His wife asks him, "How do you like the cookies, dear?"

Mr. Impatient complains, "I can't eat these things FAST enough!"

For some reason, it cracked me up. As you see, I never forgot it, and it STILL cracks me up!

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings