Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LsDoorMat

Alpha Video is now selling DVD-R's and not marking them as such

Apologies ahead of time for placing this post here, but the DVD reviews section looks so nicely and tightly catalogued that I couldn't figure out where to put it.

From a posting on the DVD bargains forum:

"A friend of mine just got in, in his words, a "big order" of stuff from Oldies.com, and he reports that their newest Alpha discs are DVD-Rs. Just when you thought things couldn't POSSIBLY get any (worse).

Actually, he didn't mention any specific titles. So I just called him and asked him about them, and here are the titles that he bought that are DVD-Rs:

Nightmare in Red

Fighting Rookie

Terror Island (Silent Houdini film)

Dawn Express

Passport to Danger, Volume 3

Speed Madness / The Night Patrol

Shark Woman

War--WWII: Attack & Defense

Detective Sagas (4 TV shows)

Sixteen Fathoms Deep

Close-Up

Miraculous Journey

He was none too happy at this turn of events. He suggests (and I concur) that everyone send emails/write letters/make phonecalls to Oldies.com/Alpha and make sure that they know that we're unhappy with this turn of events. For the titles that Alpha has, I'm perfectly fine never buying another title from them if they're going to go the burned-disc route."

End of repost.

I personally just bought three Alphas. I checked "Double Exposure" and "Howdy Broadway" and they were both pressed. However, Hands on the Clock was burned with no indication on the cover that it was.

I've put up with so-so transfers of public domain material from Alpha all these years because the price was reasonable for a pressed disc. A burned disc of public domain material is something I can do myself for about a quarter, and I intend to do so from now on.

Alpha has got to understand that WB, Universal, and Fox get away with the overpriced MOD trend in the current DVD market because they have some rare big titles with big stars in them yet to be released on any format plus they actually own the copyright. Alpha has none of these advantages.

I honestly do not think that anyone who buys an Alpha release should expect a silk purse from a sow's ear. Anyone complaining is wasting their time in my opinion and deserves no sympathy. No one is forcing them to throw good money after bad.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}I honestly do not think that anyone who buys an Alpha release should expect a silk purse from a sow's ear. Anyone complaining is wasting their time in my opinion and deserves no sympathy. No one is forcing them to throw good money after bad.

It is no secret that Alpha's wares are unrestored B material, but they have ALWAYS offered pressed discs. To suddenly and with no warning change to burned discs - a medium with a much shorter and mucn more touchy lifespan - is bad business.

I did not print this to ask for sympathy - do you see me asking for that any place in the post???. This is simply a warning to anyone else who buys from them from time to time as I have over the years. To tell you the truth, until this happened, at least I always got the actual movie I paid for from Alpha. From the Warner Archive I have three unplayable discs of Madam Satan - allegedly restored - since it pixelates so badly I'll never know, I also have a copy of Edison The Man that was supposed to be Beast of the City as stated on the cover art and on the disc itself, and a copy of Trail Street that was supposed to be Trail of 98, also according to my order, the disc cover art, and the disc labeling itself.

I think the reason the thread was started was to bemoan a certain fact and that could lead to sympathy, or even empathy. Again, nobody is forcing anyone else to remain a customer of Alpha Video.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}I think the reason the thread was started was to bemoan a certain fact and that could lead to sympathy, or even empathy. Again, nobody is forcing anyone else to remain a customer of Alpha Video.

OK TopBilled, the next time I run across something that might help someone else I'll keep it to myself. After all I wouldn't want to lend you a helping hand and have you mistake it as whining! Heaven forbid!!

I am sure you see it is as helpful, and maybe to some, it is. That part is good. But I find it annoying when customers who can take their money elsewhere decide to waste energy complaining. I do not think it is good form, because the customer has all the power. If Alpha Video loses a lot of customers, I can guarantee you that they will switch back to the old format. But if people complain and continue to buy from Alpha Video, then it's a cycle of misery.

These movies are really not in demand and if it were not for Alpha, its highly unlikely they would ever see the light of day

I've bought a few of DVD-R movies and some episodes of "Hawaiian Eye", (someone copied it from a channel called "Goodtimes". Alpha can be a good source for "underground" movie made during the studio era - that is movies that didn't pass the Hays code.

I'm for one am not complaining. :)

Another good source for these type of movies is Retromedia

http://www.retromedia.org/dvd_covers/

I agree with you Calvin 100%...I don't think there is anything wrong with DVD-R/burned discs...however, contrary to what others have said in this thread, Alpha should be marking these/indicating them as being burned DVD-R discs. Any other reasonable company which sells such discs does let the consumer know they are such (Amazon.com, for example, indicates if a title is DVD-R "Manufactured on demand". It's only proper to do so for consumers. Not doing so is falsification/cheating people somewhat.

This is one of the perks of the internet, for consumers to tell each other. Each consumer has the option of buying from Alpha Video, or not. Sometimes I think consumers (or internet posters) just want to complain.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}This is one of the perks of the internet, for consumers to tell each other. Each consumer has the option of buying from Alpha Video, or not. Sometimes I think consumers (or internet posters) just want to complain.

You're repeating yourself, TB...and this isn't just a point of people who "just want to complain". This is a perfectly legit and valid point: The product in question is NOT being labeled or indicated as to what it is. People generally believe a DVD is pressed (as almost all discs are) and not burned to order. Alpha should be letting people know what it is exactly they're selling.

Your "no one is forcing" repeated statement is redundant...No one is forcing people to buy from any manufacturer, but the product should be clearly indicated as to what the consumer is getting.

Sinister Cinema, as another example, not only indicates what their DVD-R product is, they have an entire page on their site explaining it. They're not misleading anyone.

If folks can repeat their complaints about Alpha Video or TCM, then surely I can have a free pass to repeat one of my points.

And just what is the point of the thread, ultimately? To say 'Naughty, shame on you' to Alpha video and try to run them out of business...?

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}If folks can repeat their complaints about Alpha Video or TCM, then surely I can have a free pass to repeat one of my points.

>

> And just what is the point of the thread, ultimately? To say 'Naughty, shame on you' to Alpha video and try to run them out of business...?

>

Hardly...to get them to PROPERLY label/indicate what it is they're selling. ]:)

People aren't just repeating their complaints...I actually don't think I've really seen any repeated complaints...but folks are giving reasons as to WHY they are complaining about this DVD-R issue.

If you don't see any point to the thread...which is consumer dissatisfaction with mislabeled Alpha product...why are you continuing to post in it? ?:|

How exactly do you propose to get Alpha to change its marketing strategy? I don't see any specific solutions being offered here. And wouldn't these repeated complaints be better posted on a website that Alpha's employees would see? How is there any guarantee that they would come to TCM's message board and find what you are posting...?

I really think this topic is ill-suited to a message board of this type which is more devoted to TCM's programming and products. While I am not sure if the TCM gift shop sells Alpha merchandise, I am most certain that TCM is in no way, shape or form responsible for Alpha's business decisions.

Personally, as a film fan I appreciated having the information about Alpha's DVD-Rs so I can be an informed consumer. I suspect there are many more film fans/purchasers who naturally gravitate to the TCM site who would be interested too. (I don't mind DVD-Rs, but I do mind not knowing what I'm buying in advance.) It may be the information would be better suited to a different area of the TCM site, such as the DVD news and reviews section further down the main page, but all in all I'm sure not sure why the need to be so repeatedly critical of someone simply sharing this info. Maybe just shrug and move on if the topic isn't of interest? After all, if the topic isn't of interest to others, it will soon fade away anyway.

Respectfully submitted --

Thanks for the heads up calvinnme, you are right on the money. DVD-R should be labelled as such on their website. If Alpha has a Facebook page you might want to leave a comment there-according to consumer advocates having things posted there tends to get the attention of a company.

>It may be the information would be better suited to a different area of the TCM site

I am glad we agree about that. My feeling is that most of the venting will fall on deaf keyboards.

Yes, that's the very same thread I was thinking of. I visit it frequently for news on new releases, and my fellow DVD fans who would likely be interested in this Alpha news would easily find it there.

> {quote:title=TCMfan23 wrote:}{quote}FOR ME : it's either Alpha Video or Mill Creek Entertainment.

>

> 50 movies for 20 bucks is a good deal.

Mill Creek does those movie packs...not Alpha, incidentally. The problem with many of them is...even though it's a good buy...as long as you don't mind lousy print quality and high video compression on those Mill Creek titles...not to mention that they often (usually with the public domain titles) put their watermark in the corner of the screen, sometimes only every few minutes, other times it's there throughout the entire movie. That's inexcusable, in my opinion.

I've noticed they're monthly cataogs are getting thinner. They stopped printing pictures in their catalogs that come out every month or 2. I guess to save paper. It must cost a lot to print catalogs and people throw them away.

It doesn't matter to me if DVD-r's are used . What is so bad ?

I've purchased DVD's from alpha for years. It's the only DVDs I buy. They're silent selection hs grown a lot the past couple years.

2 years ago , I purchased '50 horror classics' from mill creek. The best 20 bucks I spent in my life. I enjoyed all 50 movies. I didn't mind the print quality of most movies. The only one I disliked was the print of 'metropolis'. It look awful. Unwatchable.

I don't expect a lot (quality) when it comes to public domain material. It doesn't bother me if the movie shows it's age.

Edited by: TCMfan23 on Sep 14, 2012 11:14 PM

I think the reason the thread was started was to bemoan a certain fact and that could lead to sympathy, or even empathy. Again, nobody is forcing anyone else to remain a customer of Alpha Video.------*TopBilled*

Sorry to say this, but no one is forcing you to read the information posted. Others not aware of this practice can derive some benefit henceforth.