Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Re: Edmond O' Brien

robbinspiano

Dear TCM,

You are honoring an important actor, Edmond O' Brien on his birthday, today, September 10. It is disappointing to see that you have no biographical information on this very fine Academy Award winning actor. Please at least check Wikipedia for a short but not substantial enough biography of this wonderful but overlooked actor who had success in some great films including The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, The Killers, The Barefoot Contessa, D.O.A., and Birdman of Alcatraz, The Wild Bunch among others. Please rectify this oversight!

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Gerald Robbins

robbinspiano

One of my favorite slices of ham is Edmond O'Brien. And I say that with genuine and complete affection. As I've opined before, he and Dimitri Tiomkin really duked it out for over-the-top honors in D.O.A.

I love to watch O'Brien work. And I loved his radio work on YOURS TRULY, JOHNNY DOLLAR.

He's a great villain in PETE KELLY'S BLUES and a great comic gangster in THE GIRL COULDN'T HELP IT.

Viva O'Brien!

I do like him, sooooooo much more than Pat O'Brien, who makes my skin crawl.

I love D.O.A. and was so looking forward to Man In The Dark (Tiki Soo, did you catch it?) but was disappointed, a little.

Um, yeah okay, he had a lobotomy, no? Well, no, since his memory came back to him at the end, but they made him a good guy. I woulda gotten into the cab.

But at least we got the amusement park, that's always enjoyable.

That was *The Girl CAN'T Help It* , Ray. But otherwise you were right. He WAS good in that part. O'Brien's always been a favorite of mine. D.O.A. has always been a favorite too. Always gave his characters something to remember them by. Even in a much smaller role like Denton Peabody in *The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance* . And his character part in *The Wild Bunch* was a real scene stealer.

Sepiatone

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 1956 version of George Orwell's classic "1984". I used to request this movie from TCM for so long and it was never shown. Then about a year ago, it was on DVD so I purchased it and didn't need to continue requesting it. Even though I have it on DVD and can watch it anytime, I would still watch a TCM telecast of it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings