Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone else find it strange?

Lori3

I had TCM most of the day yesterday and while I did have to do a few errands, I found it curious that no one as far as I know ever mentioned the fact that it was 9/11.

9/11/01 was a day where we saw the worst sneak attack on this country. A day I am sure none of us will ever forget.

A day where thousand of innocent men, women and children lost their lives.

A day where we saw first hand how brave we as Americas are,

A day where we saw the heroic acts of the firefighters, police, the first responders,and of the "average" man and woman.

A day when a hand full of people took control of an airplane that had been highjacked, and in doing so saved the lives who knows how many others who were the target of these terrorists.

A day where we as Americas can say, "American is truly the home of the brave,"

I would have thought too, that TCM would have aired some films that perhaps celebrated the American spirit, films that celebrated the bravery of the American people or films that celebrated our love and respect for the precious gift of "freedom."

I noticed on the December schedule that on December 7th, there are films that will be aired that celebrate the bravery of the "greatest generation."

Isn't 9/11 considered this generations December 7th?

If TCM did mention 9/11 yesterday and I missed it, I apologize for this thread.

I just needed to get this off my chest since it has bothered me since yesterday.

Thank you

Lori

Lori, I did think about the date yesterday, and was mildly surprised that not one mention of it appeared on these boards.

I'm wondering if everyone is so sensitive about "political comments" that , even though just to mention the event is not really a political statement, people are shying away from anything that isn't 100% movie-related.

Or maybe the threads/posts about it were cancelled by the Mod. before they ever appeared here ( for the above reason.)

A terrible day in history, its repercussions still being felt by many people.

Perhaps a lot of people would rather not think about it, as it might be depressing. My wife certainly feels that way. I DON'T. But I'm as guitly as the next for failing to bring it up.

It's an occaision to feel PROUD, not sad.

We came together as Americans, and turned what Al Qaida thought was a glorious victory into their biggest failure.

We became stronger as a nation, and Al Qaida is a mere ghost of what it once was.

This nation began with a disposal of tyranny, survived a civil war, two World Wars, two controversial "police actions", a serious economic depression, internal strife and a host of incompetent polititians. What on EARTH made those fools think a couple of airliners crashing into a couple of office buildings would make it all unravel?

Sepiatone

Well I didn't mention it at this site or expect it to be mentioned since I don't see much of a link to classic movies. December 7th is remembered by a station like TCM and it's members because there are many classic movies related to that date and WWII. I also support that people should be sensitive about political comments. While threads don't have to be 100% movie generally there should be some tie to classic movies.

All of us felt 9/11 very deeply yesterday, but I think it was correct to not have a thread here about it. It would have been okay if people limited their remarks to that, but, if other websites are any indication for yesterday and today, things would have exploded politically here before a page would have been completed. Especially after the embassies incidents yesterday.

I live in New York and the events of 9 11 is a memory I will never forget- but if I watch TCM is to escape reality- there was plenty of coverage of the memorial events on the other networks ( except for the Today show which actually had an interiview with the professional mother pimp- Kardashian)

I think it's only natural that the remembrance would become a little more muted after the 10th anniversary, but there were still plenty of references to it other places.

I'm not sure how TCM has handled it in the past, but I'm not sure what films you show to commemorate such a recent and unprecedented event.

BTW, NBC failed to cut away from a TODAY segment for the moment of silence. I think that was a far bigger surprise than anything TCM might have done.

(Oops, I see now that Joe already mentioned NBC.)

Edited by: ginnyfan on Sep 12, 2012 6:45 PM

LOA would be relevant, plus it would fill up a lot of time in a day's

schedule. I've never seen it all the way through, but from the little

I've read about it, it's not all that histroically accurate, which should

be no surprise. He might get a very differnt reception today than he

did almost a hundred years ago.

It is my personal belief that the only appropriate response by TCM might be scheduling a day of movies which highlight heroic actions by civilians. I believe any other recognition would be seen as a political statement.

I believe it is a remembrance which must be treated with care or it may damage society. There is considerable weight behind the theory that the attacks occurred on the date because of what occurred on that date in 1683. I think it would be terrible if it became for America also an excuse to justify retaliation.

joefilmone, It is nice to know that I am not the only one who feels 'the Kardashian mother is a professional pimp" - how true!

Shame on NBC for not cutting away............

and, yes, watching TMC is a great way to escape reality......

-Just a Canadian

Bravo Sepiatone, I think your post is beautifully written and it tells the truth at least to me if does.

Thank you.

Perhaps I was wrong in thinking TCM should had aired films that celebrate the American spirit, our bravery and our love for the precious gift of freedom. However, I think TCM could of made some small statement in rememberance of those who lost their lives on the horrible day.

I have a friend lived in NY on that day, and she still is feelings the pain, the fear and trauma of that day.

She did say, that the one thing that "helped" was how we as a people came together immediately after 9/11,

This thread should probably end now, because as someone mentioned "it has nothing to do with classic films or classic actors."

Thank you, and I apologize for starting this thread. I know realize this subject matter does not belong on these boards. I obviously was not thinking clearly when I started this thread. I think was coming more from the emotions that I felt on 9/11

Lori

> {quote:title=Lori3 wrote:}{quote}Bravo Sepiatone, I think your post is beautifully written and it tells the truth at least to me if does.

>

> Thank you.

>

> Perhaps I was wrong in thinking TCM should had aired films that celebrate the American spirit, our bravery and our love for the precious gift of freedom. However, I think TCM could of made some small statement in rememberance of those who lost their lives on the horrible day.

>

> I have a friend lived in NY on that day, and she still is feelings the pain, the fear and trauma of that day.

>

> She did say, that the one thing that "helped" was how we as a people came together immediately after 9/11,

>

> This thread should probably end now, because as someone mentioned "it has nothing to do with classic films or classic actors."

>

> Thank you, and I apologize for starting this thread. I know realize this subject matter does not belong on these boards. I obviously was not thinking clearly when I started this thread. I think was coming more from the emotions that I felt on 9/11

>

> Lori

>

I don't think you were wrong to start the thread. People start threads about TCM programming all the time. This is another one and a lot more constructive than some of the ones we put up.

I admit that I haven't watched TCM on 9/11 very much, so I don't know if in the past they've commemorated the day or not.

I just personally don't know what films would represent the either the emotions or heroism of that day.

>Perhaps I was wrong in thinking TCM should had aired films that celebrate the American spirit, our bravery and our love for the precious gift of freedom.

You weren't necessarily wrong. But how come you didn't post these feelings on July 4th. Each year TCM rolls out movies that capture the essence of the American spirit. On Memorial Day they show films that depict bravery.

>I obviously was not thinking clearly when I started this thread. I think was coming more from the emotions that I felt on 9/11

I agree that is probably what happened. I like many of your threads and posts, but sometimes I think you run the risk of posturing and becoming overly apologetic without changing. Hopefully this is a lesson learned. We're all learning lessons here. :)

>I found it curious that no one as far as I know ever mentioned the fact that it was 9/11.

I think a lot of people would like to comment, but we all know WHO and WHAT killed all those Americans. The same kind of people who killed our Ambassador in Libya a couple of days ago. The same kind who are attacking our Embassy in Cairo right now, tonight.

And it is very difficult to talk about 911 without griping about who and what the killers are. So, especially on a company owned message board, it is best not to say anything at all if we must not say anything critical of the killers that might "offend" the killers and their relatives.

So, that's why I dare not say any more than this.

Fred,

You seem to dislike political correctness. But what is the alternative, good old-fashioned ignorance and xenophobia? You made many interesting posts during the Arab images series but I sense that you may still possess the same ideas you started with before TCM aired those titles.

A suggestion/request, offered only with all due respect and no desire to stir up any trouble:

Could we please just let this thread die ?

The OP has graciously acknowledged that it was O/T, and those who may not agree with some of the views expressed here risk causing friction should they post an opinion, or reconstructive surgery of the tongue if not.

BiteYourTongue.jpg

Again, I hope this can be heard as a polite and respectful request and NOT any kind of insult, finger pointing, disrespect or attempt to stifle anyone's First Amendment right to free speech. (seriously)

Thank you.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings