Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Garbo Tribute Tomw (Tues.)

Hibi

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> For those interested. TCM is showing Garbo films all day (until 8). It's her birthday. (johnbabe, you're slipping!) A few silents as well.

I was thinking the same thing. For the last two years he posted a complaint about her films not being shown (basically because her b-day fell on the weekend.) This year she gets a 12 hour salute with a couple of her rarely shown films, and we get nothing from her biggest fan. Maybe he got a warning about starting too many threads about the same thing. Anywho, I'll be watching at least some of them even though I've seen them all.

I've never seen Two-Faced Woman before (and it's not easy to see it now as the National Weather Service *keeps interrupting with that lovely beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

*eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep sound to inform me that it's raining hard outside* (glad to know my tax dollars are working for me.)

Anyhoo, it's not working (the film) and I am surprised by how much Garbo...

*OMG, AS I WRITE THIS, THEY ARE INTERRUPTING FOR THE THIRD EFFING TIME SINCE THE MOVIE STARTED! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

*EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! BEEP! BEEP!*

...was losing her accent. There are moments where she sounds almost American.

I hate that crap. It's ruined many a movie for me (Like we dont know???) Dunno why they are showing Two Faced Woman when there are so many better films of hers to show.......it's not awful, but definitely in the mediocre category.......

Where is johnbabe these days?

Edited by: Hibi on Sep 18, 2012 5:04 PM

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Where is johnbabe these days?

Why you askin' me like I know the guy?

In re: Two-Faced Woman, I know this is kvetchy of me, but there seems to be an unwritten policy that all TCM tributes of the last few years must contain at least one of the star's worst films.

( Susan Lenox ain't all that either, but the two silents this morning were fun, and I'd take most anything over Anna Kareninininina AGAIN.)

LOL. That seems to be true (showing their worst). It was just a rhetorical question! (johnbabe) I didnt want to write another post just for that! Yeah, Susan Lennox is nothing to write home about either. Gable and Garbo are like oil and water ( would've helped to have a better story)........

> {quote:title=RaquelVixen wrote:}{quote} For that matter, what ever became of kriegerg69? He's MIA.

I was just wonderin' that meself the other day. He *is* the resident Horror Man.

Sometimes people step away from ye boards for a while 'cause they don't find any of the discussions/films currently playing inn-teresting fodder for conversation, I know I do from time to time (thus thrilling most of the other posters, until like a bad penny, I show up again to b**** about something.)

Well, thank you. But momma's got to go to work on occasion.

ps- that big dance number they just showed in Two Faced Woman was terrific.

pss- why is Constance Bennett dressed like a member of the High Court of Ming the Merciless? That pointy shoulder, black sequin thing with the ambitious jewelry she's working is weeeeeeeeeeeeeird, but she is working it.

hi, i am not slipping, but due to family problems, i have been unable to be online and on TCM much lately, however, yes, i did catch the GG birthday tribute today - it was fabulous and i am so glad that they showed her films with Gilbert - they were magic together you could see how much he loved her and she him - the silents are great to see - and susan lenox is good film - with Gable - Two Faced Woman, by the way, was a success - and it was a cute film - perhaps ahead of its time for its comments on marriage, today, it would be more funny than condemned - but anyway, Garbo is great in anything she did - did you catch the documentaries too? TCM did a very nice tribute!

hi, i am here - due to family illness, i have not been able to post online very much - however, i was able to see the GG tribute today, and was glad to see her films with Gilbert were aired too - you could see how much he loved her and she him (although i think in the end it was more on his part) anyway she is great and so is he in anything they did on film - TFW was a good film - but i think that the comments on marriage for its time - were way ahead and misuderstood by the so called good two shoes of their day - today it is just looked at as just some fun - although it was beneath Garbo - no one knows why she agreed to do it - she had full command at the point as to what roles she would play - she should have done Joan of Arc (as MGM wanted her to earlier ) but i think subconsciously she did want to leave films and just did not know how to - she was never fired by MGM but left on her own accord and pulled herself out of her remaining MGM contract - she was honorable in that respect to to "milk" out her contract and LBM appreciated her for that!

> {quote:title=lavenderblue19 wrote:}{quote}The silent film *A Woman Of Affairs* is a favorite of mine. 11 am Tues.

Yes, yes, yes. Wonderful capital "M" Melodrama.

We really need to do something about the score for Love. Recording new scores in a theater is actually a very good idea...unless an audience happens to be sitting in it. While we're at it, it would also be nice if The Kiss could get a new score as the Metrotone track makes some godawful choices (anyone who uses "Hearts & Flowers" in a non-comedic context is off their rocker; it was already well known to be kitschy nonsense by 1929!)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings