Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

John Garfield Recognition

dennisnoir

Ok its 2012...not 1952...and I want to know why John Garfield is not better known as one of the best classic actors ever?...Why he doesnt have a box set yet?....why there is no movie on his life? John Garfield is one of the best actors ever...not just the classic time period...Most people dont know who he is, or even any of his movies...this Wednesday TCM is playing 10 of his movies starting at 6am...hope fans of TCM will tune in or tape some of his movies...then they will know that Garfield was tough, sensitive, chip on your shoulder actor like no other....I never tire of his movies...a true great actor!!

Dennis,

Welcome to TCM City. You should search the message board archives as Lori3, who joined us earlier this year, is a major John Garfield fan and has started a few threads about her favorite actor.

Dennisnoir meet Lori3,

Lori3 meet Dennisnoir

Happy posting about John Garfield!

Yes, Izcutter thank you for the introduction.

Dennisnoir, as Izcutter noted welcome to these boards. I am glad to have another John Garfield fan around. YEAH! I agree with everything you wrote about John Garfield. It was a great talent IMHO.

You kind of "beat me to punch here" as I was planning on posting a thread reminding people here of his tribute day on Wednesday, but that is OK. I still will post something on Monday or Tuesday with another reminder and some other info about John Garfield and his present day fans.

In the mean time, I have written an online petition to convince WBs / TCM to finally put together a box-set of John Garfield films for purchase. Please consider adding your name to petition. If you prefer that you name not be displayed there is a function on the site where the petition is housed that allows you to do that. All that will show up is "Name Not Displayed" and the state where you live or country. Also, comments are very important to the success of any petition so please consider writting a comment, if you would like to.

One last note. I am very excited because the Film Noir Foundation is here in the Pacific Northwest where I live, screening some great film noirs. I have tickets for tomorrow night to see "Nobody Lives Forever" 1946 starring John Garfield. I am excited because it will be the first film of his I will get to see on a "big screen." I even talked my husband in to coming along with me.

Again, welcome Dennis I am really glad you are here.

Here is the link to my petition.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/778/073/466/give-star-recognition-back-to-a-legendary-star/

Thank you,

Lori3

220465344228109020_QA4cT6OC_f.jpg

My favorite, and I think everyone here knows it.

Edited by: Lori3 on Sep 15, 2012 8:31 PM

Edited by: Lori3 on Sep 15, 2012 8:35 PM

Well thanks Fred for posting that link.

I think though because of the title of the thread, one would know not to open it if they didn't want to read the "repetitive spam."

I think too that both Dennis and I can post whatever we want here on these boards as long as we obey the code of conduct.

I wish people could be a little nicer here. I don't what to start any big thing, but I would think if you don't like a thread, a post, or a someone who posts, e.g. me, you could just not open the it and save yourself the aggravation.

Lori

Edited by: Lori3 on Sep 15, 2012 8:52 PM

>if you don't like a thread, a post or a someone who posts you could just not open the it and save yourself the aggravation

I opened Dennis's post because I thought I would see something new. I was disappointed to find it was nothing new at all. This type of stuff makes me uninterested in ever reading anything about Garfield again. We went through the same thing with the Garbo spammer. It got to where none of us could post anything about Garbo without him jumping in the thread and spamming it.

Fine then don't read anything more regarding John Garfield on these message boards. You just don't have to be so nasty in your posts do you?

Until I am told by the adminstrator that I am "spamming" or am doing something wrong I feel I can post what I want to..

However, I have already noted in a previous thread that my threads and / or posts will be cut down dramatically after Wednesday and I will only post or start a new thread when I feel it is absolutely necessary.

So, rest easy Fred, you and others like you have succeed in chasing off a nice person, me.

I hope you are proud of yourself.

Lori3

Lori, I hope you don't let some of the posters around here discourage you too much. I enjoy your enthusiasm over your favourite star, as well as your posts. I hope you will continue to post pictures of Jules (or any other star) on any of my threads, along with any comments you may have. If others don't care what you or I have to say, there are plenty of other threads for them to explore.

Don't let the occasional comment get to you too much (though I realize they can be a test). We need nice people like you around here too.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> We went through the same thing with the Garbo spammer. It got to where none of us could post anything about Garbo without him jumping in the thread and spamming it.

I don't find anything Lori posts about Garfield to be "spam". Spam is the posts that tell me to buy season three of some TV show even though this is a movie board.

I'm guessing from this quote that you want Garfield threads but that somehow Lori is supposed to be restricted from posting in them-even when she didn't start the thread?

On of my favorite John Garfield films is *Tortilla Flat*. He is one of many stars in that film, but he gives a great performance. He and Hedy Lamarr have a lovely wedding scene. Frank Morgan, also in the film, had recently worked with Tortilla Flat's director, Victor Fleming, on The Wizard of Oz. In Tortilla Flat, Morgan gives one of my favorite supporting performances of all time. One of the dogs in Tortilla Flat played Toto in The Wizard of Oz.

Swimfan I like John Garfield in Tortilla Flat too. It is a fun film with Spencer Tracy and Hedy Lamarr and I think Garfield holds his own with the "big guns" in the film. Frank Morgan is wonderful in it. I think he got an Oscar nomination for his performance in the film. In the film his character says the saint said to him "Be kind to little dogs, you dirty man!" I love it.

I think next month TCM will be airing the film with other Tracy films as a tribute to him.

Lori

The scene with Frank Morgan telling the dogs the story of St. Francis, and the dogs having a vision (amazing!) is one of the most beautiful scenes in any movie. Spencer Tracy's witnessing the first part of that scene leads to his repentance, and to his decision to help John Garfield.

"But, I don't LIKE Spam!"

Ah, one of my favorite sketches from Monty Python.

Dennis (if you're still here), welcome to the forums. While most of us here DO like John Garfield, none of us are as big a fan as Lori3. And now here YOU are!

Frankly, I welcome someone who might be as big a "Julie" fan as Lori, yet might offer a fresh perspective. Incidentally, I never tire of Lori's going on and on about him. I can't speak for her HUSBAND, though...

Sepiatone

I know Lori is a huge Garfield fan...but here is my story...I was born in 1951...the year before Garfield died...my mom in the late fifties got me turned on to classic movies...all of them and I watched them all!!...but my first experience with John Garfield I was about 8 years old...and the movie was The Fallen Sparrow...that movie was etched in my brain and still is...Garfields performance was just mezmerising for me and I began to watch more and more of him...couldnt get enough of him...loved his voice...his toughness...his vulernability...he was a fresh actor of that time period...and sicne then I have every Garfield movie taped or on DVD....

I have books on his life...I have met people who have actually met him....I spoke with Robert Nott who wrote is biography in 2003...I do drive my wife and family nuts with my love for Garfield and hos movies....this is not spam...dont know where Dobbs is coming from...but I will say this the unfortuante thing about John Garfield iis he is foprgotten by modern audiences...he deserves much more recognition...he is the forerunner for other actors to come along...****...Pacino...Diniero....and many many more....this guy...this tough guy from the Bronx is the American dream...growing up poor...only to fight his way from tough neighborhood to big time movie star...I know Loriu and I have not forgotten him...he is in my opinion the best!!!!!

dennisnoir, you'll find that there are a lot of Garfield admirers on these threads, though none bigger than Lori.

You should have a good time this Wednesday when TCM has an eight film tribute to him, as well as a great documentary. They're saving the best of the films, in my opinion, for last, when they show The Breaking Point at 6:15pm EST.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8_zvTsq30Vch7lVJEqBf

To my way of thinking, it was as fine a performance as the actor ever delivered, which is really saying something.

Fred,

I am going to add a comment here if it is okay. First, I do not entirely agree with your attitude about this, but I think you are making some comments that can cause the other posters to reflect on their approach...so that part is a good thing, or at least can lead to something good in my opinion.

I do agree that whenever there is a fervor created about a certain artist, Garfield-Garbo-anyone, that it can alienate other folks. The ironic thing is that it turns others off to a star that these same people are trying to elevate to an even higher level of heaven. Sometimes these well-meaning souls do not see that they are being counterproductive to their cause because of a lack of subtlety.

This said, we do need to revisit the definition of 'fan.' It is derived from the word 'fanatic.' I think we can be tolerant of anyone who is slightly fanatic about their favorite movie star. That is part of what makes Hollywood mythology a fun thing to explore and discuss.

Did I post anything too radical here? I hope not. :)

I am new to this forum...I made my comments known about John Garfield...they are my honest opinions...as I said I think he is vastly under appreciated...he is forgotton by many modern movie fans....and I think he deserves so much recognition....I feel if other posters take offense to my opinions simply dont open up a John Garfield thread...its that simple...I am never going to change my mind about Garfiled, and never will...been watching him for way to many years...I am more than a 'fan"...when it comes to John Garfield, my views are very passionate...if that offends anyone thne so be it!!!

Don't take it personally, Dennis.

I'm sure that initial little "blow up" of Fred's in your post here was just one of those instances where almost any long-time member on almost any website will sometimes forget the likelihood of a new or newer member starting a thread about a subject which may have been covered many times in the past.

(...so don't sweat it, our new friend...and welcome to the boards!)

Believe me I am not looking to start anything I just have to make these few announcements to this thread.

Yesterday the following comment was posted on this thread. "I opened Dennis's post because I thought I would see something new. I was disappointed to find it was nothing new at all. This type of stuff makes me uninterested in ever reading anything about Garfield again."

You want something new here, how is this? I just got word that the *"Film Noir Foundation" is throwing their hat or fedora into the ring of support for the petition to get that box-set of John Garfield's films produced and ready for purchase. Their "czar" Eddie Muller is willing to help promote the petition and the foundation has many supporters all over the world. This is big, big news.* In addition, Julie Garfield helped promote the petition by posting it on her Facebook page last Thursday with the note "Please sign." Just with her assistance the petition garnered 40 names in one day, a record! Today the last time I checked about 30 minutes ago, the number was at 28. The more names on the petition, the less likely I believe WBs can ignore our request. Also, the comments people are leaving are supportive, touching and very passionate. I can tell everyone here that Dennis and I are not the only "passionate" John Garfield fans on this planet.

Dennis has been a fan of John Garfield for many more years than I have and his passion and commitment to the goal of increasing the star recognition for Garfield is inspirational.

Lastly, just this evening I went to a screening of the film, "Nobody Lives Forever," 1946 starring John Garfield, that was sponsored by the Film Noir Foundation. I can't tell you what fun it saw to see the film and Garfield on a "big screen." There were probably about 250 people in the audience and their ages ranged from mid70s maybe to early 20s. It was also fun to watch this old film noir with an audience that appreciates it, who laughed at the corny jokes told in the film and applauded at the end. Even my husband who "just tolerates" this John Garfield stuff, looked at me after the film and said, "That actually was a pretty good film." That statement coming out of my husband's mouth is really saying something.

Thanks.

Lori

Congratulations, Lori, on receiving an endorsement for your petition from the Film Noir Foundation, as well as Julie Garfield on her Facebook page. It's a huge uphill battle to try to start a people movement campaign in order to make the decision-makers at a large corporation take notice. As a John Garfield fan, you must be feeling pretty darned excited and pleased.

How fantastic news that Lori brings us concerning the Film Noir foundation...as Robert osbourne has said nobdy walked in and out of shadows like John Garfield...a true film noir performer...and I cant wait till Wednesday...an all John Garfield day begining at 6am with They made Me A Criminal...and ending with The Breaking Point....first one early in hi career and the other towards the end....I never, ever tire of his performances...and we must remember he was a stage trained actor...I know a gentleman that seen Garfield in Golden Boy in NY in 1952 just before he died...he said he was just fabulous...and he said the audience loved him and the play!!!

I just want to make it clear that it was DeeDee the co-administer at the Film Noir Lives Here website who is the one who should get the credit for getting the support from the Film Noir Foundation for the petition. She is one super and hard working lady. She is also the one who got Max Blooms Cafe Noir to screen the TPART in August and the cafe owner agreed to promote the petition which garnered many people to add their named to it on the evening of the screening.

Also, Dennis and all the members of the "mave" website should get credit for their continual encouragement and support in the goal of giving back to John Garfield the star recognition he lost while here on this earth. Like Dennis, many are long time John Garfield fans, e.g. 20 years plus.

Yes, Dennis from everything I have read the revival of the play "Golden Boy" with John Garfield finally in the starring role, received rave reviews It ran for 9 weeks, and only closed because his body and heart could no longer keep up with the demands of a Broadway play. He would die within 2 weeks after the close of the play.

I too, of course am looking forward to Wednesday.

Thanks

Lori

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings