Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sunrise

Swithin

What can I say, but that *Sunrise* , which was on TCM tonight, is one of the great works of cinematic art. The movie has always reminded me of a piece of orchestral music by one of my favorite composers, Granville Bantock, whose composition, Fifine at the Fair, is in turn based on Browning's poem, and which has a similar theme to Sunrise.

Interesting fact which is not widely known: George O'Brien, the male lead in Sunrise, and his wife, the actress Marguerite Churchill, had a daughter, Orin O'Brien. Orin, a double bassist, was the first female member of the New York Philharmonic, joining in 1966. She is still an active member of the orchestra.

http://nyphil.org/about-us/ArtistDetail?artistname=orin-o-brien

I just wish that TCM would show Frank Bozage's SEVENTH HEAVEN (1927). And as far as I'm concerned it belongs on the Essentials just as much as SUNRISE does. Truly a great film. So is Murnau's FAUST (1926). Both are easily Essentials in my book.

Speaking of which, Janet Gaynor for Star of The Month!

med_1927__7TH_HEAVEN__Frank_Borzage_3.jp

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings