Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The 50th Anniversary showings of the great Lawrence of Arabia - question

kathan12

When will TCM show a clip from the upcoming Blue-Ray 4K re-mastered classic film Lawrence of Arabia, which will be shown in select theaters on Oct. 4th?

LOA had been beautifully restored in 1988-1989 and was just as great as could be - finally to see it as it was in 1963, before the stupidity of 'producer' Spiegel expunged more than 20 minutes, and before the immense stupidity of Columbia Pictures cut it up again in 1973.

Now it will be shown in all its beauty, re-mastered again. I love the film, always have and have seen it so many times. To see it in the new way - the iconic performance of Peter in such an iconic film - is more than splendid.

I've seen a clip of it on the net - just about a minute - but that minute showed the radiance of the re-mastering and even Peter's eyes seem more beautiful.

When will you start advertising the special showing(s) of it??

I saw LOA at the Ziegfield Theater in NYC, probably in the 1990s, so it must have been the restored print. I had seen it before on television, it's an impressive and gorgeous movie, but I have to confess -- and I'm SO in the minority here -- I like it, but I'm not mad about it. I love parts of the story, the acting, the images, but in terms of the greatness of director David Lean, I think his A Passage to India, which I also saw at the Ziegfeld, is a better film, in fact a brilliant one, IMHO.

I did visit T.E. Lawrence's house, though, on a beautiful summer's day about ten years ago. Some friends drove me down to Dorset where, on the way to visit Thomas Hardy's cottage, we stopped at Cloud's Hill to pay homage to T.E. Lawrence. His little cottage was very sweet. Evidently it had no electricity, even when he lived there. It was along those country lanes that he was killed on his motorcycle, swerving to avoid two boys on their bicycles.

The release of the Blu-Ray is a cause for celebration.

Thx for your reply to me, swithin. You must have seen the wonderful restoration of LOA that was done in 1988-1989.

Now - what I can say is you have your opinion of LOA and I certainly have mine. I originally saw it as a young girl in Apr. 1963 and of course many times since. To me it is one of the greatest films of all time and contains one of the most iconic performances (Peter's) in this great film. This has never changed in my mind; in fact the new edition will probably be glorious. I saw a very brief clip of it and it looks so beautiful - even Peter's eyes are more beautiful. I am so very glad it has be re-done again in Blu-Ray and 4K; it deserves it.

Anyway, there is not much more I can say. Despite the infinite stupidity of the AFI (of which I have no regard) which has 'lowered' LOA to #7 on the "best of all time" list - at the same time it lowered GWTW to #6, which angers me to no end, I state here that both should definitely be in the Top Five. I'm sick of the AFI and I'm sick of them 'lowering' beloved classic legandary films; they must be actually beyond stupid.

What memories this glorious film brings back! My unrequited love for Peter which has always been; the greatness of his iconic performance in an iconic film. I suppose I just can't say anymore.

(I have read so much of TEL's cottage in Dorset and seen pics; I've never been able to see it). I am still kicking myself for not going to LA in Apr. 2011 for the TCM Festival, in which Peter was the honored guest; it was just a question of not being able to. He was wonderful and was also honored by placing his hand- and footprints in front of Grauman's Chinese (finally) in cement decorated with gold dust in honor of his iconic performance and in honor of the iconic film itself.

Forgive me if I digressed; it was such a happy time for a young girl like me.

Thanks, Kathan, for your charming and sweet story. I actually met a great actress and a great lady named Sian Phillips a couple of times. Sian was married to Peter O'Toole for twenty years, including the period that LOA would have been filmed, I think. She's lovely -- so genuine to talk to, so un-grand and un-theatrical. Hard to believe that one of her greatest roles was as the evil Livia in "I Claudius"!

Thx again swithin for the info. You really think she was like this? I think I was always jealous.

She was married to Peter from the late 1950's to late '70's, as I recall. It would include the filming of LOA in 1961 and 1962.

I remember so clearly a pic that was printed in the mid '70's with them; later on someone commented it was really a "staged" pic because they were really on the outs by then. Of course, in the mid to late '70's Peter was becoming very ill due to self-destructive behavior and ill health and there were different operations. He became very thin and was...uh... never his beautifully handsome self again, as we saw so clearly in LOA and after. Anyway, they finally divorced in the late '70's when she ran off w/some other guy. Oh, wow, how that must have been to Peter.

The book she wrote some yrs. back (I admit I didn't read it) contained tales of the marriage; I read excerpts and really had no desire to read it. Peter's book "Loitering With Intent" - parts 1 & 2 - have been published and he is presently working on part 3. I love him dearly, but he left off in #2 BEFORE LOA. I hope #3 is so much better; hate to say it but I really didn't care for the first 2 volumes; especially #2. There sure is a lot to cover. As you know, he announced his retirement in July - end of an era IMO, he is such a great actor - and said he had his memoirs to now work on.

sincerely from

kathy

I cannot wait for the showing on October 4th. I have never seen Lawrence in a theater so this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. My three son's, ages 24, 21 and 19 are all fans of this film and are going with me that night to see it. Bought my tickets weeks ago. Also have the blu ray pre-ordered on Amazon. One of the all time greats.

Oh, it is a once in a lifetime experience! I'm so glad you are looking forward to it. I am so much.

The film and Peter are so iconic and in this edition I just can't imagine how it will be. Each time I see it, I think, I love it and Peter - more and more. Perfection.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings