Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Movie Bad Guys/Gals

Guest Levine, Mike

Guest Levine, Mike

Did you ever have a favorite movie "bad" guy/gal? One that you could easily hate and make you feel great when they finally get "theirs" in the end? My early favorites were Charles King from many of those early westerns. He was the guy in the big black hat. My all time favorite villain was Charles Middleton, Ming the Merciless, in the Flash Gordon serials. He really showed no mercy. MoviesMike

Guest walker, ken

Mike, Middleton was great in the Flash Gordon serials,but was even better as Pa Stark in a Dick Tracy serial,and the main villian in Daredevils of the Red Circle. Also Roy Barcroft in many of his serial roles,especially in The Purple Monster Strikes and G-Men Never Forget. Lorna Grays role as Vultura in Perils of Nyoka was one of the best. B western stars made a living knocking poor Charles King around in the many oaters he was in.

Gloria Grahame is a favorite bad girl. Most always with the wisecracks, scheming and cheating she was one of the best. Of course she got her due whether getting hot coffee thrown in her face in "The Big Heat", slapped around in "Human Desire" or hit by a car in "Sudden Fear". Sulky appearance with a unique lisp she had it made.

Guest Kilduff, John

Gary Busey, a real-life Looney Tune, played a guy even nuttier than Mel Gibson in "Lethal Weapon". I speak of Busey's role as the slimy, psychopathic, murderous monster Mr. Joshua. Put a lighter to his skin, he doesn't flinch...that's how bad this guy is. On the ladies' side, Haviland Morris, the great 80s character actress, was good at playing bad. Whether it be the drunken blonde in "16 Candles" (1984), the Bacharach-quoting Uppity-Yuppity rhymes-with-witch in "Who's That Girl?" (1987), or the office supervisor with flaming red hair, a cigarette between her lips and a "sleep-your-way-to-the-top" attitude in "Gremlins 2: The New Batch" (1990), Haviland was always good at playing bad...a dollface with a barbed-wire heart. Sincerely, John Kilduff

I agree with your choice of Gary Busey. I think he's a very good under rated actor. I have never heard of the actress in your post, but I don't believe I saw those movies.

Guest JEANECOOPER

Refresh my fading memory - but wasn't Ms. Grahame in a big scandal in the late 50's/early 60's? Hadn't she been married to Nicholas Ray, the director, had children and then married one of his sons and had more children with her former stepson? And I thought my family Thanksgiving could be confusing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest finnie12, moira

FYI Jeane---Gloria Grahame seems to have had a pretty raucous life off screen. She had 4 marriages, and the Ray family provided her with her second and fourth husbands. She was married to Nicholas Ray (according to almost every reference book about him, a pretty unstable, talented boy himself), in 1948 (divorced around 1952) and had a son with him. She married Rays son from an earlier marriage, Tony Ray, in 1960 (divorced 1976) and had at least 2 children with him. That means that her eldest son and fourth husband/former stepson were half-brothers and her oldest son was half-brother to her later children and what(?)--their cousin and uncle as well?? Gee, this is as complicated as a family reunion at the Noah Cross residence in Chinatown. Good argument for going outside of one gene pool, I guess... Ms Grahame was also noted for incessant plastic surgery. I saw her interviewed toward the end of her life, and it was a little like Michael Jackson had a sister--she was one spooky looking lady. My almanac says that she died in 1981--probably of exhaustion and confusion--too bad, since she could be a pretty good actress, especially in The Bad and the Beautiful (1952) as a southern belle who was the human equivalent of finger nails on a blackboard as she spread her honey ______________________________________________________ My Favorite Bad Guy?--its probably Eduardo Ciannelli, who usually played some kind of no-goodnik in movies of the 30s and 40s. His range as a bad guy was quite broad, and included memorable portrayals ranging from Bette Davis nemesis in 1937s "Marked Woman" to the high-priest of Kali in one of my favorites, "Gunga Din" (1939). One of the reasons that I noticed him over time, was that he wasnt like a lot of tough guys in the movies--the gangsters or fanatics he portrayed were often thinking men--ruthless, cold, and intimidating in their superiority. His characters rarely got dirty roughing anyone up or rubbing them out. Because he suggested some inner life in his apparently underwritten roles, the characters seemed more evil, than, say, a thug portrayed by a George OBrien or Sheldon Leonard. Instead, Ciannelli brought to life individuals who had a Machiavellian insight into the uses of power, whether manipulating his pawns or frustrating his opponents. In reality, as Ciannellis rather elegant features suggest, he was a man of some erudition--hed been a professional opera singer and had received a degree in medicine before coming to America from Italy in the 20s. He originated roles in some classic American plays on Broadway as well--The Front Page and Winterset among them. Eventually, he appeared in Italian movies after WWII and he was able to obtain parts that allowed him to play in a lighter key in A Bell for Adano (1945), Houseboat (1958), as Sophia Lorens orchestra conductor father, and he also had a part in The Secret of Santo Vittoria(1969). By the way, youll see his name in credits spelled about 8 different ways, including Ed Cianelli.

Females Movie: 'What Ever Happened To Baby Jane' - Bette Davis Movie: 'The Bad Seed' Don't know who played the little girl...and i don't care if i ever find out. She was EVIL Male Movie: 'Key Largo' - Edward G - I was looking forward to him biting the the dust. (Speaking about his movie charactor only of course)

• 1 month later...
Guest Hayworth, Rita

who's the best bad girl in all the screen? Maureen O'Hara in Fallen Sparrow. Had me going the whole movie. She's so pretty that you always think she's innocent, threw off my whole perception.