Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Brand New Version of THE EXTRA GIRL on TCM!

gagman66

happy.gif Breaking news on both *MICKEY* and *THE EXTRA GIRL broadcast this Thursday on TCM.* The latter will be an all new restoration, with a I assume a better music score. There are two new restorations of *MICKEY,* but it sounds like we will need to buy the DVD when it comes out to get the best quality version from a newly discovered Nitrate print. Not ready yet to be shown on TCM.

*+Just passing along information on TCM screening on Thursday S

*“Wanted to give you a quick heads up: We will have two version of MICKEY on the DVD – the standard seven reel version (with new titles and inter-titles) and an alternate version taken from 35mm nitrate materials and various other prints provided by your kind self, David Shepard and several others. Because of the amount of work and clean up time required for the “alternate” version, and the broadcast deadlines so tight, TCM will be airing the standard seven reel version and the alternate cut shall be exclusive to the DVD. However, we have provided you with a Special Thanks on both versions – it is the least we could do for all of your wonderful support and efforts to preserve Mabel’s memory.*

* *The dark horse for Thursday is THE EXTRA GIRL. Expect to be dazzled as it is simple gorgeous and different from any other version you have seen previously. You know I love to give the fans special surprises…"**

*WaverBoy wrote:I'm a bit confused on MICKEY; is the "alternate cut" the complete version? Isn't the usual seven-reel version missing footage? Do these two versions contain alternate takes/scenes? Was the seven-reel version the one that was originally screened theatrically?*

*I can hear Waveyboy's screaming voices already tuning up. Completeness! Completeness!*

*Well since we've been going over a number of versions of MICKEY in the last few months for this set, some interesting things have dawned on us. Of the two main circulating versions, the seven reel version, and the FBO reissue running closer to eight reels, it became quite obvious running them side by side that the seven reel version was the much better original release version, and the FBO reissue is derived from some sort of foreign second negative that reshuffles the action somewhat and derives from inferior second takes. The seven reel version is tighter, and definitely has way more energy and charm than the FBO version, which has in some ways surplanted the shorter original release version over the years since it's discovery in the 70's. So to present the film at its best, I believe Paul has decided to go with the original release version as the standard, upgrading quality from the FBO version where he could, but sticking with the narrative decisions made there, and putting out another version using all the other material that turned up for the completist whiners like yourself. Believe me-you, MICKEY will be seen in more new grand and glorious ways than ever before, while we also show it to be a much better film than the reputation that has befallen it in recent years. Get over it, it's gonna be great!*

*RICHARD M ROBERTS*

file.php?id=691

This is all messed up. Again here is the important quote:

*The dark horse for Thursday is THE EXTRA GIRL. Expect to be dazzled as it is simple gorgeous and different from any other version you have seen previously. You know I love to give the fans special surprises…"*

ohwell.gif More on this matter. From the guy producing the Sennett set.

* +"Let me elaborate on my message to Marilyn (which was sent from my cell while I was working, forgive the typos) -- the print of MICKEY airing on TCM is the standard seven reel version with new titles and score. This version and an alternate cut comprised of an original 35mm nitrate print and various archival materials generously supplied Marilyn, David and others, will both be available on the DVD. Would love to have been able to provide the superior image quality alternate cut to our friends at TCM but some technical issues and time constraints forced our hand. Still, both will be available on DVD. One film, two completely different versions.THE EXTRA GIRL, as Richard indicates, is an absolute must see. Dr. Carli's score is marvelous!This particular broadcast is chock to the bri

*Paul E. Gierucki*

PHOTO_17582525_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

Thought Mickey was so-so but I really liked The Extra Girl. I think the difference between the two shows Sennett's growth from the 1910s to the 1920s; Mickey is as straightforward and direct as the conventional Keystone style, a bit sloppy (I wonder if the two-year production had something to do with that,) and felt a bit like a stretched out short film, but The Extra Girl is a perfectly formed feature comedy. It's as driven by smaller episodes as any comedy of the period, like the chase to the train station or the Lion attack, but the shifts in energy are modulated so well and Mabel Normand's characterization is so fine that it all comes together rightly. It isn't, nor does it need to be, visually extravagant but there is a greater attention to the camera's presentation of the material and the arrangement of its scenes (something that separated Fatty Arbuckle's work at Keystone from the standard fare and of course what made Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, et al. so much greater.) And what a nice looking print & transfer!

That development over the three features really shows itself in Sennett's mid-20s pictures which, if last night was any indication, appears to be his most consistent and sophisticated period. Loved pretty much everything from The Extra Girl on through the end of the night, but the Ben Turpin and Harry Langdon titles were particular favorites.

One more night to go. Can't wait to see what's next! But I'm kind of disappointed - this is a tremendous piece of programming...and hardly anyone here seems interested in it.

I haven't seen MICKEY yet, but did catch a few minutes of THE EXTRA GIRL. What a beautiful print!

It looks much better than the laser disc copy I've had for years. Such a delightful film. I am enjoying the '20s Sennett shorts more than the teens films. Thank you TCM for devoting a month to Mr. Sennett!

I had seen THE EXTRA GIRL a number of times before, but DOWN ON THE FARM had never seen. Louise Fazenda was a hoot. I thought the print was excellent. The short with Fazenda and a extremely cute and young Phyllis Haver HEARTS AND FLOWERS just before that was good, and was a really nice print as well. Again, a better print of MICKEY will be included on the DVD set when it is released.

The Two Harry Langdon's later in the night were among his best and funniest Two-reelers. Not enough of Marie Prevost. She only appeared briefly in DOWN ON THE FARM. Ben Turpin and Phyllis Haver a love match in BRIGHT EYES? You gotta be kidding me! Ha, Ha, Ha! Again, I wish we could see the complete A SMALL TOWN IDOL sometime.

The Del Lord comedies were frantic paced with Clever titles. LIZZIES OF THE FIELD! A obvious parody title of a very big drama of 1924 LILIES OF THE FIELD which starred Corinne Griffith, and Coway Tearle. So many Sennett Beauties popped up is these zany films. Alberta Vaughn, Madeline Hurlock, even Natalie Kingston, and Marceline Day.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings