Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm so proud of me!

LonesomePolecat

So I just got my Now Playing Guide for October and saw that they are doing a whole month long look at how Hollywood portrays people with disabilities. Well, guess what-- that was my idea! I don't remember which one, but in one of my schedules for the TCM Programming Challenge, I did a whole night of "Deaf People in Cinema". I did it because I'm quite blind myself and am irritated at the way most blind people are portrayed--especially that blind humor isn't funny to me. I even suggested, I seem to recall, that this could be a whole month's study--to look at disabilities and cinema the same way that TCM does "Race and Hollywood." And next month they are! I'm so proud of me!

Anyone else have TCM steal their programming challenge ideas in the past or coming soon?

LP,

Congratulations! You must be feeling over the moon!

I don't usually trumpet my Challenge schedules and if I do, it is usually to just confirm that the TCM programmers do use ideas from the Program challenges.

But, if it will help get more people interested in participating in the Program Challenges and/or voting for participants, I will say I have been fortunate enough to have more than one or two ideas from my various Challenges (including Joel McCrea as SOTM- though I was not the only one over the years I participated who had that idea) turn up as part of the TCM schedule.

I remember the first time it happened. I was thrilled and happy and a bit embarrassed.

Probably a lot like you feel right now.

But, it reinforced my belief that participating in the Program Challenges was a terrific way to share ideas of potential programming ideas.

I encourage others to take the Challenge, participate and vote.

You'll never know unless you try.

And it's worth it just to feel that feeling you are feeling right now.

If you're interested in a show about disabilities you might want to watch ABC Family's Switched At Birth. Since one of the daughters who was switched is deaf it deals alot with that community.

A certian Oscar winner has a reoccuring role in it. You can probally guess who.

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

>

> Well, guess what-- that was my idea! I don't remember which one, but in one of my schedules for the TCM Programming Challenge, I did a whole night of "Deaf People in Cinema". I did it because I'm quite blind myself and am irritated at the way most blind people are portrayed--especially that blind humor isn't funny to me. I even suggested, I seem to recall, that this could be a whole month's study--to look at disabilities and cinema the same way that TCM does "Race and Hollywood." And next month they are! I'm so proud of me!

>

Congrats. Hopefully that's the first of many!

I remember the Dan Aykroyd film "Love at First Sight," made in Canada in 1977. That was about the time he was starting out on "SNL" and he wasn't famous, yet. (He probably wouldn't have made a low-budget film in Canada if he had been famous at the time...)

Anyway, wondering what your opinion is on that film? He plays a blind person who is courted by a seeing eyed woman against the wishes of her father. It's a fairly typical Canadian flick from the 70s with some silly humour... I thought Aykroyd did a very good job and his role was very sympathetic while not being maudlin.

It's on YT full-length:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=SplIHEeA4rA&gl=US

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}Dan Aykroyd made that "low budget film" in Canada because he is CANADIAN, that is why he made it!

Yes, I know Twinkeee...And to his credit, Aykroyd is back in Canada now selling his wine and his Crystal Head Vodka: http://crystalheadvodka.com/about

and doing whatever else he's doing up here in the Great White North.

the_founders_1.jpg

^At least the bottle looks interesting...^

I just meant that like many Canadian stars, they go Hollywood eventually and we never see them up here in GWN again...

The 1977 film he did is a gem, IMHO... I just wondered what Polecat thought??

I congratulate you greatly, LonesomePolecat! It is truly impressive that you were the genius behind a month's theme! I have not heard of any person coming close to such an achievement! A single day or a tribute is all I have heard prior to this.

I may have been the prompt behind a single evening of programming. I had a day of movies set in Camelot and *Camelot* (1967) as a premiere. They had that movie as the first in the evening and they used mostly movies I had chosen for that day to fill the evening..

It is sad to say that Capuchin has had a clear example of part of a day. He choose in TCM Programming Challenge # 21:

7:15AM The Last Man On Earth (1964)

8:45AM On the Beach (1959)

11:00AM Five (1951)

12:45PM Panic in Year Zero (1962)

2:30PM The Bed Sitting Room (1969)

4:00PM The World, the Flesh and the Devil (1959)

It is in the tentative schedule for December:

10:30AM Last Man on Earth (1964)

12:00PM The Bed Sitting Room (1969)

2:00PM Five (1951)

4:00PM Panic in Year Zero (1962)

6:00PM The World, The Flesh, and The Devil (1959)

They deleted his second movie and moved the fifth into its place. The major difference is that they will air on December 21 and he had scheduled them for December 22. The probably reason for that change is that December 22 is a Saturday which requires a different style of programming.

Congrats Polecat....I haven't seen you posting as regularly as in the past & missed you! Ah, shades of the CANADIAN thread a few years ago...

Recently heard a day of tribute to Julia Child on NPR and Akroyd's SNL portrayal was highlighted. Not only did Julia LOVE the sketch, but it was said Dan's mother was the "Julia Child of Canada" with her own very popular TV cooking show.

I love Capuchin's "doomsday" line up. I think the day may have been chosen to coincide with the whole Mayan calendar "end of the world" date coming up Dec 20th-the 21st being "survivor day". Too bad no On The Beach, which is my personal favorite apocalyptic movie.

Having had a friend who was blind since birth, I was always dissappointed in the way they were portrayed in movies. For instance, my friend never had a problem "looking" straight at you when you talked to him, and had a sense of humor about his "disability". Much like Ray Charles did. I would call him up and ask what he was doing and he'd say, "I'm watching television." I'd then ask him what he had on and he'd reply, "Some old Buster Keaton movie. He cracks me up!" or one time he told me he was watching "The Pink Panther" catroons. On one occasion when a group of us were in a room, two people were whispering in a corner. He turned to them and said, "You guys are gonna have to speak up! I can't read lips!"

The worse portrayal of a blind person in movies to me was Al Pacino's in *Portrait of A Woman* . That blank, wide-eyed stare that hardly blinked and usually off target was too atypical of a portrayal, and a disappointment given Pacino's skill and talent. Even Patty Duke's fine job in *The Miracle Worker* had her do that silly nonsense of constantly having her head turned up towards the sky, something my friend has NEVER done!

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> I love Capuchin's "doomsday" line up. I think the day may have been chosen to coincide with the whole Mayan calendar "end of the world" date coming up Dec 20th-the 21st being "survivor day". Too bad no On The Beach, which is my personal favorite apocalyptic movie.

He sends his thanks for those kind words.

The 20th is the end of the cycle and many believe it will be a normal day. The 21st is the beginning of the end. That is why he put the survivors on the 22nd.

It is sad to say that *On The Beach* (1959) in nowhere on the schedule through December.

You are all so kind. I'm sure enjoying this moment. They didn't show all the movies I sugged, but I understand how copyrights work and such, so I understand. I wish they were showing one I scheduled originally, the one love most, which was Alan Arkin in: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. That's a great one, though really emotional.

RM--

I've never heard of that movie. I'll check it out and let y'all know. (I'm already inclined to love Dan Akroyd though)

lz--

I don't usually "toot my own horn" either, but I've never had a theme be a featured month-long festival and I couldn't resist. I hope others will do the challenges because this stuff does happen a lot.

TikiSoo--

Thanks! Missed you too!

Congrats to Capuchin, too, not only for having a whole theme ripped off (which I know must happen to the brilliant Capuchin a lot), but mainly for getting one of my all time favorite scary movies on the air: The Last Man on Earth. So overlooked, so awesome.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings