Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TCMfan23

GOOD 'OL GARFIELD

It's a wonderful day today. John Garfield from morning to night. And the sexy Lauren Bacall tonight.:)

So glad TCM is showing 'East of the River' again. My DVR goofed 6 months back. I enjoyed 'Flowing Gold'. First time I seen it. Great movie. If Garfield is in it, you know it's going to be good. If Pat O'brien is in it, it only makes it even better.

John Garfield was a heck of an actor. To bad there will be no one like him ever again. He was a one of a kind like the rest of the Golden Age stars.

> {quote:title=TCMfan23 wrote:}{quote}

> It's a wonderful day today. John Garfield from morning to night. And the sexy Lauren Bacall tonight.:)

>

> So glad TCM is showing 'East of the River' again. My DVR goofed 6 months back. I enjoyed 'Flowing Gold'. First time I seen it. Great movie. If Garfield is in it, you know it's going to be good. If Pat O'brien is in it, it only makes it even better.

>

>

> John Garfield was a heck of an actor. To bad there will be no one like him ever again. He was a one of a kind like the rest of the Golden Age stars.

>

Are you implying that JG isn't sexy? Just kidding.

I was pleased with the lineup myself. They got in a few I haven't seen in awhile. JG was my favorite of the WB actors of the 40s and I've had the DVR running all day.

Is there any special reason behind the films today? I know it's not his birthday...........

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Is there any special reason behind the films today? I know it's not his birthday...........

Who knows, dear Hibi??? Maybe somebody has a better sense of humour than either of us??

The 20th President of the United States, also named Garfield, died today in 1881 (James A. Garfield).

The actor John Garfield was born Jacob Garfinkle, so maybe the actor was named after the president??

(It was Jack Warner who changed Jacob Garfinkle's name to John Garfield.)

Me know not?? :(

Anyway, nice to see Garfield in so many great films today... :)

No, excuse me. Jacob Julius Garfinkle first changed his name to Jules Garfield when he started acting on the stage in New York in the mid 1930's. He picked Garfield because it was the name of former President of the United States, and I guess Garfinkle and Garfield kind of similar.

When he got to Warner Bros in 1938 Jack Warner said, "first thing we have to do is change your first name it sounds too Jewish." So, Jules Garfield became John Garfield.

His full name at the end of his time on this old earth was, John Jules Garfield and that is what is on his grave stone, John Jules Garfield Beloved Husband and Beloved Father. There is a much larger stone standing above ground with just Garfield on it.

There is another current thread named, John Garfield Recognition, plus another one on the The Breaking Point and another one named We Were Strangers.

I didn't start one of these threads :) .

Lori

> {quote:title=Lori3 wrote:}{quote}No, excuse me. Jacob Julius Garfinkle first changed his name to Jules Garfield when he started acting on the stage in New York in the mid 1930's. He picked Garfield because it was the name of former President of the United States, and I guess Garfinkle and Garfield kind of similar.

>

> When he got to Warner Bros in 1938 Jack Warner said, "first thing we have to do is change your first name it sounds too Jewish." So, Jules Garfield became John Garfield.

Thanks, Lori, I stand corrected. Warner only made him change his first name...

But today is the day the 20th President of the United States, James A. Garfield, died in 1881.

So there is that connection between Mr. Garfinkle and today's date.

But maybe that's a stretch and bigwigs at TCM weren't aware of the coincidence between having actor John Garfield Day on the same day as the death of US President James A. Garfield??

Good films today anyway!!

Cheers, Lori! :D

>I didn't start one of these threads

We know you didn't. I am surprised that another poster hasn't accused the author of this thread of Garfield spamming.

> {quote:title=Lori3 wrote:}{quote}

>

> I didn't start one of these threads :) .

>

And I, for one, think it's great that there are three on the front page today!

Maybe someone got President Garfield's date of death mixed up with John's. It could happen. For example, I got around to looking up George Gipp to find out more about the REAL guy, and in a link that was supposed to take me to "images", I wound up looking at a story about Gipp's paternity hassle, and on top of the article, with Gipp's name in the caption, was a photo of RONALD REAGAN!

And I don't think the name change from Jules to John was because the former sounded "too Jewish". I think it's because the name "Jules" didn't sound "manly" enough.

Sepiatone

Sepiatone wrote: "And I don't think the name change from Jules to John was because the former sounded "too Jewish". I think it's because the name "Jules" didn't sound "manly" enough."

Well in the documentary TCM ran on his life on Wednesday, his daughter Julie stated that is what Jack Warner did. He said, "First we need to change your first because it sounds too Jewish, and a lot of ticket buyers think they don't like Jews."

I also read that Warner questioned him on why he picked "Garfield" as his last name. Garfield reply "well it is the last name of a President," to which Warner remarked, "Yes, and he was assassinated."The author of the book was trying to make a connection between President Garfield's assassination and the premature death of John Garfield.

I do get what you are saying though that maybe "Jules" didn't sound "manly" enough. However, John Garfield always went by "Julie" to his family and his close friends. I think he was secure enough in his "manhood" not to not care about his name, and since he was always called "Julie" as a child, (short for Julius) he just stuck with the name of "Julie."

Lori