Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hopkins as "Hitchcock" 2012?

mr6666

> {quote:title=bagladymimi wrote:}{quote}What does that mean? How old is she and what difference does that make? I am 64 years old and I hate to think that my breasts have become a cliche! What the hell difference do her breasts have to do with her great acting career?

I'll be 64 next month. I've been a fan of Helen Mirren's since the 60s. I was making a silly pun. I'm sorry that you were offended, and glad that your breasts have not become chicle. If Helen's have, it certainly hasn't affected her acting career. I can't think of a better actress. I don't think her breasts have become cliche, either.

I'm looking forward to this film. I saw Anthony Hopkins play King Lear many years ago, and a few years later saw him play Antony to Judi Dench's Cleopatra. He's an incredible actor and presence, and thus I think a good choice for Hitchcock; let's hope the film is as intelligent as the subject warrants.

I like both Hopkins and Mirren. And I am sure Hopkins can probably play Hitchcock as well as anyone. I am not so sure about Mirren as Alma. I have read a lot about Alma Hitchcock from biographies as well as the book about Alma that Patricia wrote. I don't know who I would have picked and maybe Mirren can do it, but she will have to lose the sex appeal - that's for certain (breasts or no breasts!) Neither of these roles call for sex appeal of any kind!

I too, am looking forward to seeing this. I may even pay to see it in the movie theatre and I never do that!

This is an aside; I don't mean to get this thread off-track. Starting October 20, HBO will be showing "The Girl", about the making of "The Birds" and "Marnie". Sienna Miller will be playing Tippi Hedren and Toby Jones will play Hitchcock. I don't know how many of you saw "Infamous", the "other" Truman Capote movie, but Toby Jones nailed Capote, so I'm extremely excited to see what he does with Hitchcock.

> {quote:title=DougieB wrote:}{quote}This is an aside; I don't mean to get this thread off-track. Starting October 20, HBO will be showing "The Girl", about the making of "The Birds" and "Marnie". Sienna Miller will be playing Tippi Hedren and Toby Jones will play Hitchcock. I don't know how many of you saw "Infamous", the "other" Truman Capote movie, but Toby Jones nailed Capote, so I'm extremely excited to see what he does with Hitchcock.

I've been seeing the trailer for this HBO thing quite a bit and frankly I'm disgusted by it. I know Hedren gave her approval & loves it based on comments in next week's TV Guide but all I hear from her lately are disparaging things about him. And I'm not even a Hitchcock fan.

You know, I am not so sure about Tippi Hedren. First of all, I don't think she was that good of an actress. Secondly, if she was so turned off by Hitchcock, why didn't she just refuse to do another movie after The Birds? I read an interview - she stated that she had a contract. Okay, I can understand that. BUT, if she had made enough of a fuss, I think he would have backed off. He ruined her career anyway - so she states.

I have got to admit, I would not have welcomed any advances from the man. She says that she was mature enough to refuse him. But her reactions to the work thing confuse me. I think she has made this into much more than it was. I can't say I blame her - I just don't know how much to believe her.

I don't get HBO, so I will wait until I can see this film. It sounds interesting!

I dont get the contract thing either. Apparently Hitchcock ok'd her to do Chaplin's Countess from Hong Kong (a supporting role). She's never addressed that issue. I dont get HBO. I'm curious as to what the movie will be like. Can anyone give their critique after?

> {quote:title=bagladymimi wrote:}{quote}You know, I am not so sure about Tippi Hedren. First of all, I don't think she was that good of an actress. Secondly, if she was so turned off by Hitchcock, why didn't she just refuse to do another movie after The Birds? I read an interview - she stated that she had a contract. Okay, I can understand that. BUT, if she had made enough of a fuss, I think he would have backed off. He ruined her career anyway - so she states.

> I have got to admit, I would not have welcomed any advances from the man. She says that she was mature enough to refuse him. But her reactions to the work thing confuse me. I think she has made this into much more than it was. I can't say I blame her - I just don't know how much to believe her.

> I don't get HBO, so I will wait until I can see this film. It sounds interesting!

The French-language station here in Ontario posted a link to the "Hitchcock" trailer on their Facebook page today and I watched it. Not bad, I guess. Sir Anthony H. as Hitch, Mirren as Alma, Scarlett J. as Janet Leigh, Jessica B. as Vera Miles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchcock_(film)

Film is basically about making of "Psycho" and Hollywood shenanigans behind the making of that movie. It's also supposed to be about Hitch and Alma and their relationship during the making of the film. Can't really judge the movie when you haven't seen the whole thing.

Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TT6e0bRbgU8

As for the HBO TV film "The Girls," that's the difference between TV and Hollywood films, I guess, in that you have Toby Jones playing Hitch for the TV movie and Sir Anthony H. playing Hitch in a big budget Hollywood flick. Jones would've been fine as Hitch in the Hollywood movie, but would audiences have been as willing to pay money to see him in the role, compared to Hopkins?

As for Hedren, the Wiki article on her explains that Hitch threatened to ruin her career if she tried to get out of her contract with him. But he paid her to do nothing as she refused to do any film work for him, so he ruined her career anyway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tippi_Hedren#The_Birds_and_Marnie

So allegations she made against Hitch may simply be payback. Hitchcock isn't around anymore to refute them. Neither is Alma.

And Hedren was 81 years young when she made the allegations against Hitch...

So, I don't know? Could be true or not?? Negativity does sell. If she said that Hitch was the most perfect person in the world, would anybody pay attention or care??

Say he was "evil" and her name is in the papers.

Mostly she's talking about stuff that allegedly happened 50 years ago. An expert researcher would have to look into the whole matter to figure things out and might never be able to do that...

Article here on matter:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2182804/Hitchcock-star-Tippi-Hedren-says-director-evil-shed-rich-sexual-harassment-laws-applied-1960s.html

Edited by: RMeingast on Oct 12, 2012 11:02 AM

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}No. Hedren has talked about it in the past. Just in not as much detail as now. I expect it's all to promote the movie..........

Thanks, I didn't know that, Hibi... And I'm not saying it isn't true what she says...

Hitch isn't around to defend himself anymore 'tho...

I have no idea what to think???

It seems to be like the stories about Errol Flynn... They may be true or may not be.

I have no idea. Flynn is long dead and can't defend himself.

Or all the stories about JFK. Same thing. Or Robert Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe...

Who knows??

I ain't saying things aren't true. Somebody with more knowledge on the matter than moi would have to weigh in, I guess...

Nobody is perfect, except for you Hibi, and as we can see on this message board here, people get in a warring mood over many things and there have been many fights. And that's with people not even knowing each other in person.

So who knows about Hedren's story??

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings