Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]Important Update on TCM Hosting Schedule[/b]

lzcutter

Credit should go to YanceyCravet for posting this link in the Robert O hiatus thread but it's got enough important info in it that I thought it might be best if it had its own thread so the info doesn't come as a surprise:

Robert O returns to the TCM airwaves on Monday, October 1st, but according to the article, going forward there will be some changes to the hosting duties. (The article doesn't say if it's just for October or permanent but it sounds like it might be).

Beginning that Friday, Oct. 5th, Ben M will take over hosting Friday nights on TCM. Friday nights in October are devoted to politics in film and joining Ben M for will be guests like CNN's anchor Wolf Blitzer.

There will also be the occasional guest host on Friday night as well.

Ben M will co-host three *Essentials* (probably late night screenings) with Drew Barrymore.

He also will be hosting this year's Disabilities in Film (on Tuesday nights), *The Projected Image: A History of Disabilities in Film*.

Before the hand-wringing begins, from the sounds of the article, of all the things Robert O does for TCM, he enjoys meeting the fans of the channel most of all.

So, the film screenings like *The Road to Hollywood* series, his co-hosting of film music events like at the Hollywood Bowl, the Cruise and the Film Festival allow him to do that.

But those can be taxing as well and it's more than just showing up that's involved.

So, it sounds like the changes to the hosting duties are being done to help accommodate Robert O's desire to be more of the public face of TCM and interact in person with fans and give him not only the time to do that but the time to relax after major public events as well.

Here's the link:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/exclusive_tcm_robert_osborne_back_pBkR5qkEj9oNZW57KCZJ0O

And thanks again to Yancey for finding it and sharing it!

Edited by: lzcutter to bold the title

(This is all a quote from the New York Post):

*NEW YORK POST*

*Updated: Robert Osborne returns to work as TCM increases Ben Mankiewicz's hosting duties*

By Lou Lumenick

Posted: 3:27 PM, September 19, 2012

Longtime Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne began taping new segments this week after a month's absence from the network, a TCM spokesperson confirmed Wednesday. When he returns to the air on Oct. 1 Osborne will be cutting back his hosting duties to spend more time on TCM's non-broadcast activities.

Starting Oct. 5, most movies shown in primetime on Friday nights will be introduced by Ben Mankiewicz, who has hosted the network's classic movie showings on Saturdays and Sunday afternoons for nearly a decade. There will be guest programmers on some Fridays, the spokesperson said.

Mankiewicz will also be hosting the three films following the Osborne and Drew Barrymore-hosted "The Essential'' on Saturday nights, as well as the two films shown after around midnight Eastern on Sunday nights.

In October, Mankiewicz will host a Tuesday night series of films about characters with disabilities on Tuesday nights -- with introductions filmed during Osborne's vacation -- as well as his first regular Friday night series, devoted to political films with guests like CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

Mankiewicz, 45, has been filling in for vacationing Osborne, 80, since Osborne's last new segment aired on Aug. 29. Various guest programmers and Mankiewicz temporarily replaced Osborne when he took a five-month leave in 2011 after appearing on air every day since TCM's founding in 1994.

"Both Robert and Ben?s responsibilities have grown as the network has grown and we have expanded both their roles,'' said the TCM spokesperson. "Part of what we want more from Robert is direct engagement with fans at events like the TCM Classic Cruise, The Road to Hollywood screening series and TCM Film Festival and other events, and this allows us to do that.''

Like most television programs, TCM tapes its introductions in advance, with Osborne, who lives in New York, typically filming around a month's worth during a week at TCM's Atlanta studios.

"Robert took off his week in August, which in TCM time meant he was off the air for the entire month of September,'' explained Mankiewicz. "Robert's not going anywhere, he's still the Walter Cronkite of TCM.''

"I'm incredibly grateful that my role has expanded,'' says Mankiewicz, who is known for his puckish, self-deprecating wit.

"I think of the TCM audience the same way I think of women I've wanted to date -- initailly they have no interest in me, but eventually I wear them down. One reason I think there was hestitation (when I first started) was fans' desire to protect the network. We're taking care of movies, we're the guardians of these films, there are no commercials...and this young guy is coming in and what does it mean for Robert? Robert is Turner Classic Movies. It just took (the fans) a while to realize that everything is going to be the same.''

"as well as his first regular Friday night series, devoted to political films with guests like CNN's Wolf Blitzer."

I like Wolf Blitzer. But do we need a regular Friday night series of political films? Can't we see all the politics we want on CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC?

I come to see old movies on TCM to GET AWAY FROM POLITICS. There is too much politics on TV now as it is.

Well, let's see what happens.....

> But do we need a regular Friday night series of political films?

FredC,

I think The Politics in Film series is just for October and if my memory is working, TCM has done similar programming at election time in the past.

Thanks for the link & info, very interesting. I'm glad to hear that RO will still be doing most of his usual TCM stuff! :)

One question...if Mank takes over Sunday nights after Midnight, does that mean he'll be hosting the Silent Sunday Night features? If so, I'll miss RO's take on silent movies.

Overall, I don't mind if Mank takes on a bit more around TCM if that helps out RO.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}*Friday nights in October are devoted to politics in film*

>

> I come to see old movies on TCM to GET AWAY FROM POLITICS.

>

> I thought the same thing, Fred.

>

> TCMAdmin had best get out the asbestos longjohns.

Don't think Michael needs to worry, WBF25...

Or anybody else for that matter...

This is what the schdeule has for Friday nights in October that's "political":

Oct. 5

"Mr. Smith Goes To Washington"

"Meet John Doe"

Oct. 12

"The Great McGinty"

Oct. 19

Check the schedule and tell me what movie is "political" this night? I couldn't figure it out??

"A Face in the Crowd"? "Flamingo Road"??

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/october2012.html

Oct. 26

"All the King's Men"

Either before or after "political" films there's a 1 hour time block where Ben M. and his guest talk about "political" films, I guess??? Or maybe they'll (Ben and guest) use clips from classic Hollywood flicks as they pontificate on the subject "A Night at the Movies: Hollywood Goes to Washington (2012)??

Anyway, sure it'll turn out to be much ado about nada and offend nobody...

Ooooooops!

Guess the line-up has changed for Oct. 26...

This information about it all here:

(http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-news.html?id=508285&name=TCM-Features-American-Politics-on-Film-in-October)

Still looks pretty harmless, WBF25...

* h2.* TCM Features American Politics on Film in October

* mbdmrsm_ec021_h_pr_100x148_091020120158. As Americans prepare to head the polls, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will explore how Hollywood has portrayed the democratic process with the all-new documentary special *A Night at the Movies: Hollywood Goes to Washington*. Produced by Amblin Television and award-winning filmmaker and author Laurent Bouzereau, the one-hour special will premiere Friday, Oct. 5, at 8 p.m. (ET) as part of a month-long film series entitled American Politics on Film. \ \ *A Night at the Movies: Hollywood Goes to Washington* will provide an in-depth look at the treatment of politics in cinema. Beginning with the genre's most defining movies, the special will explore how filmmakers have approached politics in their storytelling. A Night at the Movies: Hollywood Goes to Washington will examine films about political campaigns and political conspiracies, and the portrayal of American presidents in the movies. \ \ Among the many interviewees featured in A Night at the Movies: Hollywood Goes to Washington are filmmakers Oliver Stone (JFK, Nixon, W.), Rob Reiner (The American President), Gary Ross (Dave, The Hunger Games); and Rod Lurie (The Contender); actors Illeana Douglas (To Die For) as well as granddaughter of Melvin Douglas and James Cromwell (The Queen, W.); actor/politician Fred Thompson (The Hunt for Red October, In the Line of Fire); producer Marc Frydman (The Contender); political consultant and commentator James Carville (The War Room); screenwriter Bob Gale (Back to the Future); author and film critic Julie Salamon (The Devil's Candy); and Projecting Hollywood co-author Terry Christensen. \ \ Each Friday in October under the banner American Politics on Film, TCM will showcase some of Hollywood's most notable films with political angles or storylines. Following the premiere of *A Night at the Movies: Hollywood Goes to Washington* on Oct. 5, TCM will present two Frank Capra classics: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939), starring James Stewart, and Meet John Doe (1941), starring Gary Cooper. \ \ On Oct. 26, CNN News anchor Wolf Blitzer will co-host the night with such films as Advise & Consent (1962), Seven Days in May (1964) and All the President's Men (1976) in support of the upcoming November Presidential election. \ \ The following is a complete schedule of TCM's American Politics on Film (all times Eastern): \ \ Friday, Oct. 5 \ 8 p.m. - A Night at the Movies: Hollywood Goes to Washington (2012) - Premiere \ 9 p.m. - Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) \ 11:15 p.m. - A Night at the Movies: Hollywood Goes to Washington (2012) - Encore \ 12:15 a.m. - Meet John Doe (1941) \ \ Friday, Oct. 12 \ 8 p.m. - Born Yesterday (1950) \ 10 p.m. - A Night at the Movies: Hollywood Goes to Washington (2012) - Encore \ 11 p.m. - The Great McGinty (1940) \ 12:30 a.m. - I Married a Witch (1942) \ \ Friday, Oct. 19 \ 8 p.m. - A Face in the Crowd (1957) \ 10:15 p.m. - The Glass Key (1942) \ 11:45 p.m. - Flamingo Road (1949) \ 1:30 a.m. - A Night at the Movies: Hollywood Goes to Washington (2012) - Encore \ \ Friday, Oct. 26 \ 8 p.m. - Advise & Consent (1962) \ 10:30 p.m. - All the President's Men (1976) \ 1 a.m. - Seven Days in May (1964) \ \ Laurent Bouzereau, who writes, produces and directs TCM's A Night at the Movies specials, is an award-winning filmmaker and author. Bouzereau has created many documentaries on the making of films and on some of the world's most acclaimed filmmakers, including Steven Spielberg, Peter Bogdanovich, Brian De Palma, William Friedkin, Alfred Hitchcock, David Lean, George Lucas, and many others. Bouzereau directed "Roman Polanski: A Film Memoir" and the upcoming TCM original documentary: "Don't Say No Until I finish Talking: The Story of Richard D. Zanuck." He has also written or co-written 11 books on cinema, including The Art of Bond and, most recently, Alfred Hitchcock: Piece by Piece. \ \ TCM launched the A Night at the Movies franchise in October 2009 with A Night at the Movies: The Suspenseful World of Thrillers. Subsequent specials have focused on movie epics, horror films and holiday classics. TCM's A Night at the Movies documentary specials are executive-produced by Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey (TNT's Falling Skies).

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

> >

> > TCMAdmin had best get out the asbestos longjohns.

> >

Well, the TCM article I cited below does mention "conspiracies" ("A Night at the Movies: Hollywood Goes to Washington will examine films about political campaigns and political conspiracies, and the portrayal of American presidents in the movies." http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-news.html?id=508285&name=TCM-Features-American-Politics-on-Film-in-October)

so there could be trouble after all...

But I'm sure Michael "The Asbestos Man" has been suited up in his special gear since soon after taking over as TCMAdmin...

(BTW, WBF25, he wears an asbestos codpiece under his outfit there, no need for longjohns...)

2114560-st111hostel.jpg

TCMAdmin Michael "The Asbestos Man" suited up and ready for action on TCM Message Board...

The net is for hurling insults and other virtual flotsam and jetsam back at message board users...

But beware, WBF25 is not to be outdone...

DC-260-79F21A766-1-1.jpg

That's right... "Asbestos Lady" is ready for all the "political"

action... 'Tho why she's dressed in green asbestos I have no idea???

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}Ok, thanks. :)

>

> I'm really looking forward to hearing Wolf Blitzer. I think he is still one of the most objective news men on TV today. I've been watching him for years.

My exhaustive research has determined that Wolf Blitzer is the only TV newsman named after a Tex Avery cartoon. BTW, I watch The Situation Room every day.

> {quote:title=RMeingast wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

> > > TCMAdmin had best get out the asbestos longjohns.

>

> Well, the TCM article I cited below does mention "conspiracies" ("A Night at the Movies: Hollywood Goes to Washington will examine films about political campaigns and political conspiracies, and the portrayal of American presidents in the movies." http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-news.html?id=508285&name=TCM-Features-American-Politics-on-Film-in-October)

> so there could be trouble after all...

>

> But I'm sure Michael "The Asbestos Man" has been suited up in his special gear since soon after taking over as TCMAdmin...

> (BTW, WBF25, he wears an asbestos codpiece under his outfit there, no need for longjohns...)

>

> 2114560-st111hostel.jpg

> TCMAdmin Michael "The Asbestos Man" suited up and ready for action on TCM Message Board...

> The net is for hurling insults and other virtual flotsam and jetsam back at message board users...

>

> But beware, WBF25 is not to be outdone...

>

> DC-260-79F21A766-1-1.jpg

> That's right... "Asbestos Lady" is ready for all the "political"

> action... 'Tho why she's dressed in green asbestos I have no idea???

>

Asbestos, you say? Paging Peter Angelos...

Hey guys,

I don't want to start an argument but it would be nice if this thread could stay true to the original topic, the changes to the hosting schedule.

If you want to talk about the Politics in Film series, perhaps a separate thread devoted to that topic would be the way to go?

That way, people who are looking for info as to why Ben M is hosting on Friday nights, etc can find the info easily.

It would be a pity for this thread to be locked because it spiraled off into modern political talk when the original intent was to help publicize the changes in hosting that are occurring at TCM.

Thanks for understanding and I appreciate all the help!

Asbestos, you say? Paging Peter Angelos...

Hah, never heard of him. An asbestos lawyer, eh?

Sounds like the Teflon Don.

At any rate, when the movies air, TCMAdmin will need Teflon *and* asbestos to deflect the devolution of threads that won't stay on topic and will go up in flames.

Want to start a pool now, on how long it takes?

LZ, I'm afraid this sort of thread is just the sort that could spin off the subject, because the OP was a statement of fact. There really isn't that much to say about it. But, out of respect for your desire to get back to the original subject, here are my thoughts:

The hosting part of TCM is not that important to me. I like Bob -- met him a few times at parties in NY -- and I think he and Ben add something, provided they don't go on too long. Sometimes I think they spend too much time about the gossipy angles related to the film -- who was getting along with whom -- rather than the work itself, but I can deal with that. Sometimes I like an additional guest -- a great friend of mine was a co-host recently, but I don't like too much of that, meaning those actors who help pick and discuss the films. Spend the time showing films, not talking too much about them!

Also, I wish Bob good health and happiness. But if a host is out sick, I don't think it has to be treated like an illness of the head of Red China, or some dictatorship, where it has to be kept hush hush for fear the country would fall apart. Whenever anyone is out sick from their job, or takes a lighter schedule in anticipation of retirement, that's not kept secret. I'm not saying that's the reason Bob's schedule is changing; just that if it might be the case, there's no need to be cagey about it.

So now I hope I've got this thread back to its original subject!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings