Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TCMfan23

TCM's pathetic/lousy October schedule

The same old same old this year. Less Hammer and even less Universal stuff. No Bride of Frankenstein ??! It's a crime to show Frankenstein and skip to Son of Frankenstein !

no Nosferatu / no Cabinet of Caligari / no Hunchback of Notre Dame with Chaney / and no Dracula with Lugosi. WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY SHOWING ON SILENT SUNDAYS ?

Is TCM being denied access to studio vaults? that's what it looks like here. It's like TCM shelves their films for a year and they collect what the studios left them.

I see they're going to show the butchered version of Phantom of the Opera for the 1 millionth time. How about giving us the 1925 version that was aired on Halloween night 2000 ?! i don't care what condition it's in.

I tell you TCM is degrading more and more every month. Sneaking in newer films (post 1975) and repeating their movies. A couple films in the October schedule are going to be shown twice. One of them a Joan Fontaine movie.

What's up with Bob Osbourne ? is he sick ? haven't seen him around a lot lately. Every time he's hosting , he looks tired and ill.

AMC probably isn't doing anything special. They never do anymore. I hate that channel. Too many commericals. They use to have monsterfest every October. The Universal and Hammer filoms along with some 50s sci-fi. Today , it's a completely different channel.

And about recording : I've had no problems recording off of TCM. There is no block that others on here are talking about. It's likely the greedy cable company. Not TCM. As for the HD channel , I hate those black bars too.

too bad UniversalCrapHead. You are going to get more "complaining and whining" as long as TCM keeps on degrading each month.

It's a free country. I can say what i want.

*I totally disagree with you!* I remember when I first glanced at the October schedule, courtesy of Calvin. I think (assuming that early schedule still holds), that it's one of the best all-round months in ages, both Halloween-related and otherwise. The Hammer is thankfully minimized, compared to last year. And one movie I have been waiting to see again FOR DECADES is scheduled: the 1949 *Fall of the House of Usher,* an odd film for sure, and a real rarity. Many other films to look forward to as well!

> It's a free country. I can say what i want.

It's a free country. But, you're not going to be saying anything around here. Having been disciplined before for the very same behavior, you're no longer welcome on this forum.

> {quote:title=TCMWebAdmin wrote:}{quote}

> > It's a free country. I can say what i want.

> It's a free country. But, you're not going to be saying anything around here. Having been disciplined before for the very same behavior, you're no longer welcome on this forum.

2wg6gk5.jpg

> {quote:title=TCMfan23 wrote:}{quote}too bad UniversalCrapHead. You are going to get more "complaining and whining" as long as TCM keeps on degrading each month.

>

Wow...really polite and level-headed, aren't you? :0

What I said was the truth...you've said the same complaints before many times. It doesn't change a thing, so a repeat is pointless, isn't it? ?:|

And one movie I have been waiting to see again FOR DECADES is scheduled: the 1949 *Fall of the House of Usher,* an odd film for sure, and a real rarity.

I've been wanting to see this one again for a long time, just about 52 years. It aired on WABC about a week or so after I saw the Corman version way back in 1960. I was only nine years old then and while I struggled with all my might, I fell asleep and while I woke up to see the ending, I missed the middle third of the movie.

Every time that it showed up on Channel 7 within the next two years or so, it was a school night.

I don't think any channel is designed to keep a person satisfied for continous watching. I guess TCM consists of about 5 to 10 percent of my viewing.

(Then again I like films from every decade, a lot of people on this board don't.)

I was watching BRIDE about a week ago on Me-TV, it was on Svengoolie's weekly show.

Sorry, I can't understand how anyone can watch a film that way. I made it to the second break and bailed out. A 75-minute film in a two-hour slot padded with unfunny bits of business and more catheter ads than anyone should ever have to watch.

I'll be seeing it again shortly when my friend gets in his new BluRay set. We used to get together in the 60s to watch these things on late night TV or going to see big-screen revivals so this will be nostalgic in more ways than one.

You apparently never got into the era of tv horror hosts back in the 60's and 70's....those WERE my introduction to classic horror movies like the Universal horrors. THAT was the way I got into classic film...through the late-night horror hosts such as what you described. Back then, such presentations were perfectly normal and much looked-forward to.

BUT...there were far FEWER commercials on tv at that time, so...

> {quote:title=SonOfUniversalHorror wrote:}{quote}It IS odd on Halloween night they're skipping over BRIDE, going from Frankenstein to Son of... ?:|

>

> At least they're going from The Mummy to The Mummy's Hand. ]:)

Yet, I always considered BRIDE a mixed bag. Sure there were some iconic images in that film, but I always considered it more satirical then horiffic. Everything from the campy prologue to the overacting of Una O'Connor to the prissy, effeminate Ernest Thesiger's Pretorious, to his "little people" creations that he grew from cells, the characterization of the monster himself who now can speak and becomes totally sympathetic ruining his effectiveness as a monster. Even the Bride was just throwing a hissy fit because she had a bad hair day. Perhaps better to air this film on APRIL FOOLS DAY as it is a JAMES WHALE April fools joke on fans of the genre.

Clore, now you've got me wondering. When I was a boy growing up in NYC, there were two horror movies series on local television: "Shock Theater" on Channel 7, on late, right after the Ben Hecht Show; and "Shock-o-Rama," which was on Channel 13, in its pre-PBS incarnation. PBS is now celebrating 50 years, and I thought I remembered the 1949 Fall of the House of Usher having been on Channel 13 pre-PBS. But now I wonder, was it 7 or 13?

A little after that, Chiller Theater, Fright Night, and other horror film series came along, but I think it was 7 and 13 that started it all. Though of course "Million Dollar Movie" on Channel 9 occasionally showed films that were horror-related, particularly if they featured big apes!

It's sad that someone could feel so unhappy about a cable television schedule. TCM is meant for our enjoyment and celebration of classic film.

> {quote:title=TCMfan23 wrote:}{quote}too bad UniversalCrapHead. You are going to get more "complaining and whining" as long as TCM keeps on degrading each month.

>

>

Actually, I think his/her/it's name is SON of UniversalCrapHead... ;)

As for October schedule, there are other TV channels, you know?

You must get some of those too besides TCM.

What about AMC, for example? See recently they've been airing some old Don Knotts flicks.

Today they aired "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken." Have no idea why AMC is in love with Don Knotts all of a sudden, but they seem to be airing more classic films lately.

The letters meant "American Movie Classics" at one time, 'tho they've gone off the rails the last decade or so...

Anyway, you get my drift... Lots of other channels to watch in you don't like TCM...

My recollection is seeing it on what WABC called "The Night Show" - their counterpart to "The Late Show" on WCBS, only WABC did not quite have the library that was anywhere near as good.

What they had at this point in time - and I'm certain it was 1960 - were a lot of British films. So many that I thought that Kenneth More, Jack Hawkins and Lee Patterson were big stars since they seemed to be on TV as often as Cagney and Flynn.

It was on WABC's showcase that I first saw REACH FOR THE SKY in December 1960, a film that impressed me greatly and which I bought recently on DVD after TCM aired a much abbreviated version not too long ago.

KING KONG was the first film that I ever saw on "The Million Dollar Movie." My mother recommended it and suggested that we watch it when it came on right after Claude Kirschner's show. At that point in time, usually we had to follow Claude's advice at the end of the show when he said "And now it's time for most of you to go to bed."

I had Zacherley on my local stations when I was a kid and while I found him amusing, it did bother me when he would insert himself into the movies. It was one thing to do his stuff at the breaks, but he would sometimes find a way to insert gags into the films and I guess that I was too serious a monster kid to enjoy that. Not that I didn't have a sense of humor, I've been told that I have ever since I was starting in school, so maybe the teachers found me to be an annoying interruption. ;)

But Zach and Elvira are about all that I've been exposed to as far as horror hosts go, although I'm familiar with the names of many who were exposed in the days when I savored each issue of "Famous Monsters."

I remember my first horror film. A slightly older boy who lived in my building told me about Shock Theater on Channel 7, so I pleaded with my mother to let me stay up to watch Dracula's Daughter. The "Swan Lake" music came up over the opening credits, and I ran out of the room in terror, but slunk back to watch the movie. Shock Theater followed Ben Hecht, so it would have been 1958/9. They showed The Mad Doctor of Market Street and many of the other horrors at that time. They must have lost the rights a few years later.

Just came across a piece that said that Shock Theater was originally called the Night Show, which you mentioned. I don't remember that name. I do remember the TV Guide would have a small ad for the horror films -- a photo of Gloria Holden for Dracula's Daughter. They were called melodramas in those days.

http://www.scrabo.com/scrivani4.htm

Edited by: Swithin on Sep 23, 2012 6:30 PM

I remember seeing THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN and THE MUMMY'S GHOST on WABC's late movie in the summer of 1960. The venue was "The Night Show" and not "Shock Theater." I only saw a few of the latter, this was circa 1958 when apparently they would air a title from the previous week on a Saturday afternooon. I never got to stay up late to see a "Shock" presentation at all.

I saw Chaney's first and last Mummy films on WABC in 1965, but by then, I think that WOR had the bulk of the Universal horrors.

Edited by: clore on Sep 23, 2012 7:01 PM

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:

> }{quote}I assume that the London After Midnight that is being shown early on Halloween morning is the re-creation using stills and production photos, yes?

Yes, unfortunately. There was a story a few years ago that it had been discovered, but that was just a hoax that rubbed fandom in quite the wrong way and the residual effect is still being discussed:

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/45852#.UF-vSlFj5ac

That's okay, the re-creation is still pretty inn-teresting (the music is fun and the photo stills reveal a lot of the fabulous sets)

I think they need to specify in the schedule write-up that it's the recreation they're showing, but whatevs.

I remember finding a video on youtube that claimed to be five minutes of re-discovered footage of Chaney in London After Midnight. I clicked on it and it was an animated GIF followed by a "fooled you!" message. The replies were, deservedly, irate and the poster of the video was such a jackass taking the time to reply to every disgruntled viewer with what an idiot they were for falling for his brilliant gag in the first place.

I remember a Chaney documenary where they talk to a reeeeeally old lady who remembered seeing London After Midnight in theaters in 1927 and she did not recall being impressed. In her funny little old British lady accent, she basically said "he was dressed as a bat and walking about dragging his arms...it was rather ridiculous."

I wonder if maybe it's better to only wonder about London After Midnight, were the real thing ever uncovered, it might be a disappointment (and Lord knows life is full enough of those already.)

ps- it's weird that Ten Little Indians is on right now. Is that the origin of your name?

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Sep 23, 2012 9:11 PM

> {quote:title=TCMWebAdmin wrote:}{quote}

> > TCMfan23 wrote: It's a free country. I can say what i want.

> It's a free country. But, you're not going to be saying anything around here. Having been disciplined before for the very same behavior, you're no longer welcome on this forum.

TCMWebAdmin, thank you very much!!!!!