Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Tie-In Paperbacks

joyrider

Does anybody collect these? I have a somewhat small collection. Sometimes these books give you pieces of movies that were edited out. Some are the scripts & some are novelizations. I still buy them if I can get the right ones. The cover has to have info about the movie. Usually a photograph of the stars. There are some rare ones worth alot of money. I have the 1956 version of 1984, Fahrenheit 451, The Wicker Man, 2001 A Space Odyssey, The Making of 2001, Missing, Metropolis, Vertigo, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Frenzy, Psycho, Soylent Green, The 10th Victim, Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner, Sweet Smell Of Success, Room At The Top, See No Evil, Darling, The Servant, Mr. Arkadin, Joe, Who Is Harry Kellerman, Marriage Of A Young Stockbroker, The Hustler, The Couch, Candy, etc.

I will buy just about any book of this type if I can do so cheaply. They came out in the 50's & were popular until the 80's. :) Hollywood memorabilia a great hobby! Try it, you'll like it.

Do you mean those paperbacks of movies that WEREN'T originally adapted from books? I always found those a curious practice. A few of the titles you mentioned were books FIRST, actually. When adapted into movies, the photos from the films found their way onto the covers when re-released, for promotion.

Sepiatone

No I think I meant a book that ties in to the movie. There are books that were made into films that do not tie in to the movie. & there are books that tie in to movies that are novelizations. They are based on original scripts & often have info not in the movie. Taxi Driver, Zardoz, Last Tango In Paris, Avalanche, Network, Shampoo, Alex And The Gypsy, etc.

I also collect pressbooks if I can get them cheap & easy. There is nothing worse that having a hobby that is obsessive. If something becomes that important probably you need help. :)

I got "From The Earth To The Moon" by Jules Verne paperback when I was in high school. Still have it. Movie was made in 1958.

from-earth-moon-jules-verne-paperback-co

I see this on Ebay a lot, its not a paperback but a very small book to reflect the title of the movie "Little Big Shot" (1935). Novel idea at the time.

l.jpg

I used to have a LOT of these. Here's one I used to have...it was not the original H.G. Wells novel, but was actually a novelization of the adaption of the 1977 film version.

37421.jpg

I think I still have this one, which...I think...is actually the screenplay.

51wISe3OmAL.jpg

This has a lot of material not in the movie.

518hoGETiXL.jpg

Universal started licensing this series out in the 70's based on several of their horror classics...these are the two I have. They're quite interesting adaptions.

21iXP0qsAcL.jpg

51T9pkRF2UL.jpg

Here's one I still have and treasure...I also used to collect a lot of these "Making of" type of paperbacks.

51xr1jBEG0L.jpg

Too Bad I wouldv'e bought them off you. You don't happen to want to sell those...

One of the better ones is The Ghouls by Peter Haining ed. $1.25

Its a book featuring the short stories that were made into horror type films. Introduction by Vincent Price. On the cover is The Wolfman, Dracula, Frankenstein, Vampira & The Phantom. Stories:

Phantom of the Opera -- 18 spine tingling monster tales that became the most famous horror movies

The Magician

Freaks

Most Dangerous Game

Dracula's Daughter

All That Money Can Buy

The Body Snatcher

Beast With 5 Fingers

Beast From 20,000 Fathoms

The Fly

Black Sunday

Incident At Owl Creek

Monster of Terror

The Skull

Oblong Box

Afterword: Christopher Lee

B/W photos in the center of the book.

The studios own the scripts. In some cases the screenwriter is allowed to publish the script.

In some cases a novelization is made from the script. While a script is way better, the novelization is still a source of information because scenes use original dialog (sometimes)...The books are meant to help the public become aware of the film & to possibly influence a potential viewer to see it. Plus a source of income as well.

I have The Ghouls too...it's a must-have and a classic of the time. Here's the original dustcover (it was reissued with a different cover). On the cover is only Dracula (Lee), Frankenstein (Karloff), Phantom (Chaney), and a skull. The difference with this compilation coming into being is that horror colelctin was at a high point during that time, and fans had long heard about the stories several movies had been based on, but many had never been able to read those stories. That's how this collection came into being.

41ec4JR4JrL.jpg

The titles include:

The Devil in a Convent

The Lunatics

Puritan Passions

Phantom of the Opera (abridged and condensed)

The Magician

Freaks (Spurs)

The Most Dangerous Game

Dracula's Daughter (Dracula's Guest)

All That Money can Buy

The Body Snatcher

The Beast With Five Fingers

Beast Ftom 20,000 Fathoms (The Fog Horn)

The Fly

Black Sunday

Incident at Owl Creek

Die,Monster,Die (The Colour out of Space)

The Skull (The Skull of the Marquis De Sade)

The Oblong Box

I did sell off the other ones that I had - as you know, there is at least one collector for anything movie related. The others I'm keeping for a spell, but sooner or later, my whole collection of movie and TV related books will be up for sale, be it by me or my heirs. ;)

Your Peter Haining book looks interesting. I have his book on the history of Sherlock Holmes on TV, it might be time to go back and revisit that one, I haven't looked at it in over a decade.

> {quote:title=joyrider wrote:}{quote}Altho a different

> cover, mine is different Pocket Books 1972

>

>

> I was able to find a photo[!|http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-osyVVcav_Rc/T4Hdum0I9dI/AAAAAAAACkY/TXfEnQB9OVc/s1600/Ghouls.jpg!]

>

Those are the reissues. The one I posted, which I have, is the original :) . Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine used to have it for sale in the back of their magazine for a long time.

I believe you. I did not keep all my books when I relocated & now I'm bugged by it. I am now trying to reacquire them (cheaply).

maybe if we didn't do this we wouldn't be ugly

150px-The_Manchurian_Candidate_paperback51jPqSQDNPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

read the book see the film hear the record read the book see the film hear the record read the book see the film hear the record read the film hear the book see the record read the record hear the film see the book film the record record the book book the film

615hUzGO-kL.jpg

51OOBlcUNXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings