Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

O.T.: Tom Savini will be on Food Network next month!

SonOfUniversalHorror

This year's Halloween Wars competition on Food Network starting October 7 will feature guest judge Tom Savini, the makeup genius behind such horror classics as Dawn of The Dead (1978), Friday The 13th (1980), and Creepshow (1982). One article about the series and the other judges (including Shawnee Smith (Saw) ) is here:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/lifestyle/food/food-network-s-halloween-wars-returning-on-oct/article_f54305f0-f6b0-11e1-b227-0019bb30f31a.html

Here's a great shot of Savini (pointing his finger) from one of the episodes (they usually do four for Halloween Wars).

Justin-Willman-Shinmin-Li-Tom-Savini-Rut

I'm glad people recognise Savini & his talents. I have my own Tom Savini story:

He once visited a museum I worked in. I was more interested in him as a "cute guy" than as a Hollywood special effects guy but immediately knew my disadvantage, never having seen his work. I 'splained, "I just can't watch gory bloody scary movies."

So he told me to rent Friday The 13th at my local video store (yeah, that long ago) and watch it with the sound off. He said you won't get involved in the story and you'll see the effects as we do- a technical art.

He was 100% right. I also realized how manipulative the special effects can be. It was my first horror film and I can brave most any of them these days.

Thanks Tom!

Good story, Tiki. I met Tom in the late 80's at a convention in NYC. I had the documentary Scream Great Volume 1 (which is about Tom and his work at the time) on laserdisc, and had him sign the jacket for me. He'd never seen a laserdisc at the time, so I explained to him the advantages of checking his effects out in laser format (I also got him to sign his book "Grande Illusions" as well). Tom asked where I wanted him to sign and I told him "How about on Fluffy (the Creepshow crate monster) since Fluffy is lighter. Your signature will show up good there".

Very nice and soft-spoken guy who is really nice towards his fans. As long as he's been in the business (getting close to 40 years now), and as widely recognized and classic as some of his work has been, I'm surprised he's never been nominated for an Oscar.

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings