Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

Let us know when classics are coming up....

Anyone... how about keeping an eye on the daily schedule, and when you see a classic type film (of any kind), how about posting a thread with the title, the day of airing, and the date, especially if the film has not been shown recently.

Like this:

Jungle Jim, Sat, 9/22/12

Or:

The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1932) Sun AM 9/23/12

And on the inside of your post, maybe list the actors, summary of the film, and the time of day it is showing.

I don't know about everyone else, but sometimes I forget to look at the schedule of the upcoming week/month, and I miss classic films that I would like to know about, either to see live or record.

So, maybe with several of us keeping an eye on the weekly schedule, we can notice some of the better films, or some of the more rare films, and let everyone know they are coming up. :)

For example, on Mon Sept 24, there are some old Westerns coming up, including Roy Rogers movies, Tex Ritter, The Marx Brothers, and several others, quite a variety starting early in the morning, Monday.

=========================

And on Wed. Sept 26, early in the morning, there are some very good old classic British mysteries. I already have most of these recorded. Most are fairly short, rare, and good, if you like this type of film:

Something Always Happens (1934)

When a gasoline company president rejects his marketing proposal, an unemployed man joins the competition.

Dir: Michael Powell Cast: Ian Hunter , Nancy O'Neil , John Singer .

BW-69 mins, TV-G,

Crime Unlimited (1935)

A young police academy recruit tries to break up a gang of thieves.

Dir: Ralph Ince Cast: Esmond Knight , Lilli Palmer , Cecil Parker .

BW-71 mins, TV-G,

Man of the Moment (1935) (comedy, Laura LaPlante)

A fortune-hunter saves a young woman from drowning, risking his marriage to an heiress.

Dir: Monty Banks Cast: Douglas Fairbanks Jr. , Margaret Lockwood ,

BW-81 mins, TV-G,

Crown vs. Stevens (1936) (very good mystery)

An ex-dancer marries a rich man hoping to pay off a loan shark.

Dir: Michael Powell Cast: Beatrix Thomson , Patric Knowles , Googie Withers .

BW-66 mins, TV-G,

Peterville Diamond, The (1942)

A husband's attempt to quiet his nagging wife with jewelry leads to disaster.

Dir: Walter Forde

BW-85 mins, TV-G, CC,

Dark Tower, The (1943)

A romantic triangle involving a hypnotist and two trapeze artists threatens to destroy a circus.

Dir: John Harlow Cast: Herbert Lom ,

BW-93 mins, TV-G,

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Sep 21, 2012 5:53 PM

I think maybe if we share the responsibility, without any set schedule, then we would all benefit.

And of course, we should not argue about what is a classic, and there is NO need for us to tell everyone else what we hate or which actor we dislike. Nobody cares what I think is NOT a classic.

All we need to see in the title of a thread is the title of a film, or two, such as The Whistler and Jungle Jim, and the air-date. Then we can decide whether to open the thread or not.

For films that have been re-made or that are very old, maybe we should mention the year too.

The thing I like about markbeckuaf's week-long threads is because on the inside of them, he usually lists a lot of movie titles, and I always want to see some of them. A few I might dislike, but there is no need for me to say that, because nobody cares. :)

People here get into too many arguments about nonsense. :) I?m just going to try to ignore the argument threads.

If a few of us posted some of the upcoming movies that aren't frequent repeats, that would help all of us.

I am sorry to say I could not participate out of concern for bandwidth.

I find at least ten movies each day which I consider classics which I feel others would benefit from watching. I acknowledge also that the movies I do not consider classic may truly be classic and it is my lack of knowledge of them that lets them escape my notice.

Does anyone want to post an up-coming notice about THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN (1932), which is coming on tomorrow (Sunday 9-23) at Noon (Eastern Time)?

This is one of the best of the Stanwyck pre-codes, and it is directed by Frank Capra. This is one of the best classics of the pre-code era.

Too many boring stuff on. It's either that or the same old same old.

I'm watching other channels (re-runs of Happy Days and The Waltons) or DVDs.

'Lolita' again ? BLAH ! i can't stand James Mason and his obsessive personality.

> {quote:title=TCMfan23 wrote:}{quote}Too many boring stuff on. It's either that or the same old same old.

>

> I'm watching other channels (re-runs of Happy Days and The Waltons) or DVDs.

>

> 'Lolita' again ? BLAH ! i can't stand James Mason and his obsessive personality.

...then why do you even bother posting here on the TCM forums if you don't even like what they're showing? What's the point of the complaints? ?:|

A classic for you Fred tonight in prime time - A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN. Being a Brooklyn boy by birth, and having grown up under very similar circumstances, the film has a particluar relevance for me.

I too am curious as to what TCMfan thinks would be a good schedule. Can't ask him NOW, since he's been banned.

Sepiatone