Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Number Can Play

bundie

Is it me, or does Alexis Smith look a little young to be the mother of a kid as old as D. Hickman (I always get those two brothers mixed up) in this movie? Hickman looks like he's about 18, and Smith looks about 35 (although I suspect that in real life she was younger than that).

I wonder why they didn't cast someone older.

BLU

Yes, Clark definitely looked his age and then some. He aged considerably in his post WWII films (of course, he had lost his wife). But back to Alexis, maybe it was just me who thought she only looked about 35. I personally thought that Mary Astor looked like she was in her early 40s and would have been a better choice.

BLU

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}Yes, Mary Astor too looked like she was in her early 40s, she too aged rapidly. I was very disappoited to see Clark Gable having an affair with her in the movie since he appeared to have a very good and loving marriage.

But Mary Astor even noted to Gable that for 20 years he had been faithful to his wife while she married a succession of men who looked like him.

Now Nina Foch was described as 22 in JOHNNY O'CLOCK but her own clock must have been ticking fast as just four years later in AN AMERICAN IN PARIS she's the "older woman" serving as Gene Kelly's "sponsor."

Well, they did kiss andit seemed like they were having an affair, maybe from the heart!

All through out the movie I kept trying to figure out where I had seen Nina Foch before and you are right, she certainly looked a LOT older in "An American In Paris"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings