Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Having fun with "IT".

Sepiatone

My wife and I watched *It: The Terror From Beyond Space* yesterday and had a little "Mystery Science" fun with it. At one point, someone yelled, "Bullets don't stop it! Bombs don't stop it! What do we do NOW?" My wife yelled out, "SILVER bullets!" I shouted, "Sea water!". When Dabs Greer went down the hatch to try something, she said, "There goes another one!" to which I replied, "Don't worry. He has to come back and take care of Mr. Jingles at that shack near the old folks home." We laughed at the idea that someone would think firing a bazooka in a spacecraft was a good idea. What the hell a bazooka was DOING on a Mars rescue mission still baffles me. My wife even suggested that if they made those hatches out of the same material they use for BUBBLE wrapping, the alien would have NEVER busted through them!

If any of you saw this gem yesterday, you see why these cheap-o sci-fi flicks are such fun. Half of it is in pointing out what just doesn't fit, the other in the "special effects". I'm just not sure if "Crash" Corrigan thought he ended his career on a high note, or a low one. It WAS interesting that Ben pointed out that Ridley Scott got his idea for *Alien* from this movie.

Sepiatone

The film though is one of those from my youth that just about every kid would run home to see when it was on "Chiller Theater." Considering that it was shot in a week, director Edward L. Cahn deserves a lot of credit here for managing to get something so involving and professional looking in the can and on the screen.

The premise was a good one, we had seen plenty of previous films about space voyages, but usually the beasts or whatever danger was to be encountered was at the destination. Here, it's on-board, allowing Cahn to keep his action confined to a couple of sparse sets with a lot of smoke and shadow to compensate for the film's financial shortcomings.

Oh - I ran indoors to see it yesterday just as I had way back in the 60s when it aired on WPIX.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings