Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix to Groove to!!! Week of Sept 24th!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove to!!! Week of Sept 24th!!!

Sorry a bit late on the grooves, but today all day is TCM round-up!!! It kicked off with a PD flick, SONG OF THE GRINGO (1936) and right now, we're grooving to THE GIRL OF THE GOLDEN WEST (1938)!!! And on tap today: THE MARSHAL OF MESA CITY (1939), a George O'Brien oater, with Leon Ames and Virginia Vale! Followed by another oater, this time with Roy Rogers in ROUGH RIDERS' ROUNDUP (1939)!! Somehow even the Marx Bros get into the cowpoke act with the 1940 GO WEST!!! It's typical zaniness for the boys!! Roy Rogers gets back in the sadlle again with ON THE OLD SPANISH TRAIL from 1947!!! Last but not least, Eddie Albert and my main man, James Gleason get it on in the comedic THE DUDE GOES WEST (1948), followed by Rory Calhoun, Gilbert Roland and Shelley Winters in THE TREASURE OF PANCHO VILLA (1955), and finally Mitch himself in THE LUSTY MEN (1952), with Arthur Kennedy and the hotcha cha cha Susan Hayward!!

Tuesday, I'm gonna be groovin' hard to a day filled with Aldo Ray flix!!! Kicking it off a flick I've not seen before, MY TRUE STORY (1951), directed by The Mick his own bad self, and featuring Helen Walker, a crime flick, the 50's, Mick directing, I'm there!! I'm also looking forward to the crime/noir flick, NIGHTFALL (1956) with Brian Keith, Anne Bancroft and Frank Albertson, directed by Jacques Tourneur!! Though not a fan of war flix usually, THE NAKED AND THE DEAD from 1958 looks pretty interesting, directed by Raoul Walsh, and starring, along with Ray, Cliff Robertson and Raymond Massey!!!

Tuesday night is all about Brooklyn, and though I've seen it before many times, it's been a while since I wept along with the heartwarming A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN from 1945!!! What a cast too--Dorothy McGuire, the luscious Joan Blondell, James Dunn in a standout performance!!, my main man James Gleason, Lloyd Nolan and Peggy Ann Garner!!! Rockin'!!! And the flick that is bookending the tribute, Paul Muni in THE LAST ANGRY MAN (1959), his last film, gotta check it out!!

Wednesday daytime is "The Brits are coming" first up, with a block of coolio flicks including SOMETHING ALWAYS HAPPENS (1934), CRIME UNLIMITED (1935), MAN OF THE MOMENT (1935), CROWN VS STEVENS (1936), and THE PETERVILLE DIAMOND (1942)!!! Next is a block of flix in honor of the lovely Alida Valli!!! With the one I groove to the most, WALK SOFTLY, STRANGER (1950) with Joseph Cotten, Spring Byington, and Paul Stewart!!!

For me the Thursday grooves start off at 4:30am EST with my man Tom Conway starring in MURDER ON APPROVAL!!! I've not seen this 1956 flick before, so I'm eagerly awaiting it!!! And it kicks off a daytime block of crime and noir flicks, including CRIME SCHOOL (1938) with Bogie and the Dead End Kids rocking it! Hitch rocks it next with Cary Grant, Joan Fontaine, Sir Cedric Hardwicke, Nigel Bruce, and Dame May Whitty in SUSPICION (1941)!!! Then one of my favorite hard-boiled detective flix, with songbird Dick Powell showing that he can get tough with the best of them and turning his career around in MURDER MY SWEET (1944), directed by Edward Dmytryk and also starring the sexy dames Claire Trevor and Anne Shirley!! Robert Ryan and Claudette Colbert show up next in THE SECRET FURY (1950), then it's Piper Laurie, Victor Mature and William Bendix in DANGEROUS MISSION (1954)! Then a flick I saw previously on TCM the first time not long ago, it's low-budget, seedy and hot, THE UNHOLY WIFE (1957), with Diana Dors (OMG, be still my beating heart!!), Rod Steiger, Beulah Bondi, the sexy drop dead Marie Windsor, and Tom Tryon!!! Wow! Gotta catch this sleazy little flick again! Vincent Price will not be denied in THE BAT from 1959, and lastly it's Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee together in the Holmes classic, THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1959)!!

Always love my crime/noir days on TCM!!! They are totally groovy!!

Thursday night is the final blast from Mack Sennett and this week will be no exception in being totally rocking!!! This time we get into some early talkies, this entire month long tribute has been totally awesome!!! Thank you, TCM!!

If you're digging on musicals, you will be totally swinging, daddio, on Friday, with flix such as BABES IN ARMS (1939) and ZIEGFELD FOLLIES (1946)!!!

Friday night is devoted to western spoofs, and the one I'm most looking forward to catching again is Coop along with Loretta Young, William Demarest and Dan Duryea in ALONG CAME JONES (1945)!!!

Saturday mid-day is where it's at on TCM, with this week's "Whistler" flick, this time Richard Dix gets mixed up with Leslie Brooks in THE SECRET OF THE WHISTLER (1946)! One of the really interesting things about this series is that they usually don't turn out well in the end! Which is a change from the norm! And next up is this week's Jungle Jim flick, PYGMY ISLAND (1950), where Johnny Weissmuller mixes it up with Ann Savage, wow!!!

Sunday night is totally grooving with an Egyptian Antiquities theme, kicking it off the granddaddy of them all, Boris Karloff himself in THE MUMMY from 1932, also featuring the lovely Zita Johann, David Manners and my main man, Edward Van Sloan!! Yep, it's Universal Horror in their heyday!!! Next a very rare airing of a Charlie Chan flick: CHARLIE CHAN IN EGYPT (1935) with the original Chan, Warner Oland, and a very atmospheric mystery flick!!! And finally Abbott and Costello get mixed up with mummies and one of the sexiest dames ever, Marie Windsor (fair trade-off I'd say!!!), in ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY (1955)!! This is their last film together, and it's said it's showing, but I still think it's a kickin' comedy and one I always enjoy!

And lastly, Jean Hersholt, shows up in the DW Griffith flick, BATTLE OF THE SEXES, from 1928 and this week's Silent Sunday Feature! Sounds very groovy!!

Thank you, TCM for the awesome flix all this week!!! You guys are the bomb diggy!!

I haven't had a chance to see too much this week yet, but I did groove hard to NIGHTFALL--nice noir!!, and MY TRUE STORY, both from the Aldo Ray tribute on Tuesday!! I also really dug watching A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, one of my all time faves, and it was SO cool to see it! I wish that one would be released on DVD by itself (it's part of the Kazan box, but that box is WAY huge and WAY expensive!).

I also was digging on some of the Brit mysteries and comedies from yesterday morning!

Tonight, Mack Sennett shorts all night long!!! Rock out!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings