Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Wonderful Gloria Jean...on radio!

ginnyfan

Nostalgia Digest's weekly radio program for September 22 featured both an interview with the wonderful Gloria Jean but also the radio version of her debut film, THE UNDER-PUP. This version also features Robert Cummings, Nan Grey, C. Aubrey Smith, Beulah Bondi.

Unfortunately Virginia Weidler, who played Gloria's best friend in the film, was not available for the radio version. I've been lucky enough to see the film, and I'm sure the radio version will be delightful as well.

We are very fortunate that the show will continue to be available all this week until their next broadcast since I failed to post this timely.

You can find it at: http://www.nostalgiadigest.com/those%20were%20the%20days.htm

Thank you ginnyfan. I have always found it kind of fun listening to some of the old radio shows during the 30s and 40s. It is fun to try an imagine what people did before there was TV!

If the story is good and the actors are good, it is wonderful to just let your imagination go and picture what is happening in your mind, while you listen to the story.

Thank you for sharing.

Lori

What is often intetesting about the radio theatre shows-this one is a LUX Radio Theatre show, I think-is how the radio writers rework the story to fit it into the time they have.

I've been told that Gloria's character is a little tougher in this than in the movie.

The interview with Gloria that they are playing is fairly recent, so that will be neat, too.

Good thread. Our public library has copies of many old-time radio shows, and I seem to gravitate towards the Burns & Allen ones. I am going to have set aside some time during the week to follow some of the programs at the website you provided a link to.

I have long thought I might start a thread about radio adaptations of classic films. I want to do it right and be as comprehensive as possible. Maybe in 2013...my favorite old-time radio site is this one, which has most of the Mercury Theatre productions that Orson Welles and his group did:

http://www.mercurytheatre.info/

I was interested in OTR before I was intetested in classic movies. I love radio noir and was a big fan of the adult westerns like Gunsmoke and Fort Laramie (starring Raymond Burr). The Burns and Allens got like the TV show in the mid forties, but before that it was more like Benny's show.

As far as the movies on radio, one of the odder ones was IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE with Arthur Q. Bryan playing Clarence as Elmer Fudd.

I'm going to try to listen to Gloria tonight.

Reading these posts takes me back to my teens and even earlier, in the 40's, when radio was all we had in the way of live entertainment. Walking past the houses in the evening you could hear Amos & Andy, Jack Benny, Fred Allen without missing a line ... everyone had them on. During the day we had soap operas, but they were only 15 minutes long and the commercials came before and after the show. We followed One Man's Family, Vic and Sade, Myrt and Marge (my mother's favorite). Some of these are online ...

Vic and Sade are my favorites to listen to online, because there was really no plot, they were just sitting around saying things we never forgot. For years a girlfriend and I would talk about Rush's friends Rooster Davis and Smelly Clark. My mother's favorite answer to a silly request would be "No, Smelly," because that's what Rush had to say to Smelly on the phone when his father wouldn't give him nine dollars to put into the pot to buy a motorcycle. Silly, funny, homey, pointless but hilarious. How we loved them.

At night the ones we loved were Lights Out and Inner Sanctum. They had us climbing the walls while we listened to them in the dark. You could let your imagination take over then.

> {quote:title=Dothery wrote:}{quote}Reading these posts takes me back to my teens and even earlier, in the 40's, when radio was all we had in the way of live entertainment. Walking past the houses in the evening you could hear Amos & Andy, Jack Benny, Fred Allen without missing a line ... everyone had them on. During the day we had soap operas, but they were only 15 minutes long and the commercials came before and after the show. We followed One Man's Family, Vic and Sade, Myrt and Marge (my mother's favorite). Some of these are online ...

>

> Vic and Sade are my favorites to listen to online, because there was really no plot, they were just sitting around saying things we never forgot. For years a girlfriend and I would talk about Rush's friends Rooster Davis and Smelly Clark. My mother's favorite answer to a silly request would be "No, Smelly," because that's what Rush had to say to Smelly on the phone when his father wouldn't give him nine dollars to put into the pot to buy a motorcycle. Silly, funny, homey, pointless but hilarious. How we loved them.

>

>

> At night the ones we loved were Lights Out and Inner Sanctum. They had us climbing the walls while we listened to them in the dark. You could let your imagination take over then.

>

Since this is my thread, I can comfortably wander off course with you. Vic and Sade still has fan clubs all over, I think. The names of people and places, the way Vic, Sade, and Rush could tell these long histerical stories that went nowhere, it was truly a wonderful show. It's a pity that the sponsor (P&G?) destroyed most of the discs.

I added Vic and Sade to Bernadine Flynn's credits on IMDb a couple of years ago. Before that, you would just think she was a minor actress. Now anyone who goes there knows she was Sade! Bill Idelson (Rush) went on to a long acting and writing career in TV and died in 2007.

TCM has been showing Whistler movies, based on the radio show. Some of those shows were quite good as well.

We in the DC-Baltimore area have been lucky that WAMU radio has been playing OTR weekly for almost 50 years.

Since this is my thread, I can comfortably wander off course with you. Vic and Sade still has fan clubs all over, I think. The names of people and places, the way Vic, Sade, and Rush could tell these long histerical stories that went nowhere, it was truly a wonderful show. It's a pity that the sponsor (P&G?) destroyed most of the discs.

Thanks for that post! How great to find someone who loved V&S the way we did! Loved the lodge Vic belonged to, Uncle Fletcher, Y. Y. Flirch and the rest. Sade's constant interruption of anything Rush said was so maddening, but he never seemed to mind. He'd just keep on with whatever long story he was telling. When my husband came into my life (for the second time; we'd grown up together in those radio days), we used to talk about our favorite episodes. For him the best one was when Sade had ordered the Christmas cards with their names printed on them, and they had come out with Rush's name as "Mush," and she was going to send them out that way anyhow. Rush objected, and with good reason. For some reason that made my husband collapse with laughter and I did the same.

Here I go wandering off again ... but the Gloria Jean movie had Nan Grey in it, and I loved her. A beautiful girl, who married the singer Frankie Laine. They were married until her death. She was in some of the soap operas we listened to, and I remember her soft, mellifluous voice. These people became real to us. When we heard them we imagined their looks ... it was sometimes a shock to see their pictures, but Nan's was just what I had expected.

> {quote:title=ginnyfan wrote:}{quote}

>

> Nostalgia Digest's weekly radio program for September 22 featured both an interview with the wonderful Gloria Jean but also the radio version of her debut film, THE UNDER-PUP. This version also features Robert Cummings, Nan Grey, C. Aubrey Smith, Beulah Bondi.

>

> Unfortunately Virginia Weidler, who played Gloria's best friend in the film, was not available for the radio version. I've been lucky enough to see the film, and I'm sure the radio version will be delightful as well.

>

>

We are very fortunate that the show will continue to be available all this week until their next broadcast since I failed to post this timely.

>

> You can find it at: http://www.nostalgiadigest.com/those%20were%20the%20days.htm

>

>

This is the last full day the broadcast will be up on the website. For those only interested in the Gloria Jean interview and THE UNDER-PUP, that all starts around 1 hour and thirty four minutes into the broadcast.

No new news, I did send out some letters both for information and also to TCM to lobby for her birthday.

I have a twtter account, but must admit I don't really get it. I'd be afraid of saying the wrong thing somehow.

After pushing this radio thing, I only got around to listening to it myself yesterday. Gloria certainly sounded sharp and came across as liking everyone she ever worked with..except for Jerry Lewis.

She even had fond memories of W.C. Fields!

I noticed on that website that they are going to play an episode of BOLD VENTURE sometime in the near future. That's Bogie and Bacall's radio show.

Edited by: ginnyfan on Sep 30, 2012 7:51 AM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings