Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ten Most Underrated Films of All Time

I like this idea. Someone on the IMDB used this phrase and said BYE BYE BRAVERMAN which aired on TCM yesterday is at the top of such a list.

Indeed, all 16 user reviews for this picture are overwhelmingly positive. And yet when it was broadcast yesterday on TCM, it went by with little fanfare from our message board community. Why?

images-1119.jpg

*Cold Turkey* (1971). Before revolutionizing the American sitcom in the 1970s, writer/director Norman Lear brought this little gem to the big screen --- a satire of Big Tobacco and small-town America. In addition to its all-star cast (Dick Van Dyke, Bob Newhart, Tom Poston, Bob and Ray, Edward Everett Horton, Jean Stapleton), the film features terrific second unit footage, capturing average, real-life Iowans in hilarious bits (many of these shots are just a couple of seconds long).

> {quote:title=SonOfUniversalHorror wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ValeskaSuratt wrote:}{quote}Batman & Robin (1997) was only rated PG-13 and it should have been rated R.

> Nonsense....Why?

> And what does that have to do with "Ten Most Underrated Films of All Time" anyway?

Whatever you say, dahling. :^0

I like word games, puns, plays on words, etc., so I found it very funny! Things that can be taken in more than one way. I didn't realize there were issues between you,

But seriously, I think it's harder to make a list of underrated films than one of overrated films. There was a thread a while back about underrated actors, and the responses were really not about actors who were underrated; just somewhat lesser known.

I guess I could come up with all the obscure films I love and call them underrated for the purposes of this thread.

It's a joke. R is a rating, PG13 is a rating. If it should have been R, but it is rated PG13, it is underrated.

Some may think it cheap humor, but I use that sort of literal, double entendre all the time, so I appreciate it. :)

One of my personal favorites is MR. & MRS. BRIDGE with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. I was disappointed that it was not included in last year's 50th anniversary tribute of Merchant-Ivory. It deserves a wider audience.