Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Just Happened??? - 09/27/2012

yanceycravat

Yancey,

I think what happened is there was a late change to the 5:00 schedule of Sennett shorts.

*Ice Cold Cocos* replaced *A Harlem Knight* earlier this afternoon.

It may be that Ben's intro had to be abandoned (especially if he talked about *Harlem Knight* ) at the last minute and his regular intro, sans Ben, quickly programmed in.

Also changed on the schedule this afternoon: *The Loud Mouth* (1932) and *The Great Pie Mystery* (1931) have been replaced by *Speed in the Gay 90s* (1932) and *Too Many Highballs (1933).

So, there may be some additional changes to the intros tonight.

Thanks, Cutter!

That makes a lot of sense. Still I found it interesting they played Ben's intro instead of Robert's.

I thought a lot could be read into that.

And right now they're doing it again.... And Ben didn't say he was filling in for Robert Osborne...

Hmmm... I guess it's started.

Yancey

Edited by: yanceycravat on Sep 27, 2012 6:30 PM

Robert O is supposed to return to the TCM airwaves this Monday, Oct. 1st.

In October, Ben will host Friday nights in addition to his regular weekend stints. He will also co-host three Late Night *Essentials* with Drew Barrymore.

He also helms (with a co-host) *The Projected Image: Disabilities in Film* on Tuesday evenings.

Here's the link to a thread that explains it all in more depth (see the first post in the thread):

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=166475&tstart=0&messageID=8682664#8682664

Cutter - I knew that was going to happen. It's just, what's the difference between today and yesterday? It's absolutely no big deal and I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it. I just was curious as to why it would start tonight and not next month.

Just a bit of trivia is all.

Yancey

According to the NY Post article you gave the link to, "Mankiewicz will also be hosting the three films following the Osborne and Drew Barrymore-hosted "The Essential'' on Saturday nights, as well as the two films shown after around midnight Eastern on Sunday nights." So, it seems, no Drew and Ben pairing as hosts after all, which is just as well.

The current Essentials schedule runs through the end of January. The new Essentials season will most likely start in March as it has the last few years. It will be interesting to see if either Drew Barrymore or Robert Osborne will be back for that.

After, what, 18 years, of Robert Osborne being omnipresent for fans like me the announced changes are going to take some getting used to.

The fact that it more or less started last night came as something of a surprise. I'm not saying I was hoping for some sort of on air baton passing. Just that it felt kind of tossed in there without fanfare of any kind. Sort of like a hidden bump in the road that makes you ask, What just happened?

Yancey

I have no problem with Ben Mankiewicz taking a larger role on the station. He presents well and comes off completely affable.

But even more, I liked seeing his weekend "Now Showing" bumpers last night, much better than the prime time "people in the city" thing they've been using for years now (the stylistic odd man out among all of their bumpers - morning, afternoon, weekends, Silent Sundays, Imports, etc.)

It's no surprise to me that if Ben is going to be a permanent fixture in primetime he'd want his own intro and not just be introduced as a substitute for Robert Osborne.

Although Ben is certainly comfortable and natural in his intro deliveries - how bad the other guest hosts were last year really underscored Ben's talent - I doubt that he has that disarming charm that Bob has that has given us so many great interviews with stars, filmmakers, and authors over the years. Bob got all of these people to open up and he made it look so easy. Nothing against Ben, Robert O. is such an amazing and unique man. It's just hard to realize those days are probably gone forever.

I wonder if Robert will be well enough to participate in a twentieth anniversary celebration at TCM? That is only about 18 months away. But then 18 months ago Robert Osborne had never had a day off the air in the 17 years of TCM's history either.

The orchestra vamps, the theatre is packed. Eyes roam, hands extend, the seeds of innumerable intrigues find themselves in all stages: sewn, germinating and coming to flower amid the glittering heads lining the seats, spilling from the balconies, the rotunda, the aisles. Who's who...Gentle hum of niceties fills the air "well did you ever?" "Milan!! Darling, Milan!" "But you simply must come to the country now that the weather's turned."

It's turning out to be a quiet night, an inauspicious begining to The Season ...there had been whisperings that Monsieour Lu Duc would bring That Woman (whisperings is all they amounted to be.) The orchestra continues to warm up, as does the general mood of the crowd- the time is prime, the game afoot. L'opera Comedie may be minutes away, but the real show is reaching its act one climax.

And then it happens.

*Manksie-Wanksie Boo Boo* takes his place in *BOX ONE,* his triumph complete, the devious machinations of his years of plotting...waiting...toadying having bloomed into a blood red rose of a deadly new variety: coup d'etat.

This is *HIS MOMENT*, his *TRIUMPH, ALL IS HIS, BOW TO HIS ALTAR, WORSHIP AT IT!*

HE IS NOW TCM.

But wait...what's this? The orchestra stops. A silence falls on the room like a lead curtain. Surely a moment is needed to take in his glaring brilliance, his diamondshine at the moment of his GREATEST VICTORY (hey, it's a first)

...but no. Like a shot ripping through the room, the first, bold *BOO!* comes from a well-dressed gentlemen in the mezzanine.

"Fool to defy me. I will have him destroyed...""

But no, the one *BOO!* becomes a duet, a chorus, then a purple thundercloud.

Fans are tapped on the rails, tongues are wagged and fingers (of all types) are pointed, someone within earshot asks "Hey Manksie, if this doesn't work out, you can always go back to At the Movies...oh wait...Hah-hah!"

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! (tongue cluck) Hiss! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!*

Ben turns, losing composure and balance in a moment that reveals several of the poison-tipped darts have found a home in his waxen folds. He (barely) makes it to the forecourt, where the Boos and Hisses still echo from inside.

Forget L'Comedie, this was the show.

He returns to Chateau du ManksieBooBoo, banishes the servants, smashes all the mirrors, tables

and chairs. His coup has failed. *He will never be accepted.*

He collapses to the floor, decidedly reminiscent of a turtle that has been removed from its shell and doused with salt.

TIGHT SHOT: the horror of his failure spread across his face, his reign is over, his time has ended.

FADE OUT

*FIN*

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings