Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Letter, with Jeanne Eagles

TomJH

I was under the impresion that this film was scheduled for a TCM broadcast within the next few months. Am I correct, or has it been cancelled?

I'm afraid I don't know if there is a quick way to look up a film on this website to see if it is scheduled. If there is, and you could show me how, it would be much appreciated.

I have long wanted to see this version of the Maugham tale, to compare it to the Bette Davis version.

I thought someone mentioned it was on next month? I'll have to check. Someone said it's on early in the morning, (I remember that part!) Dunno WHY they would throw it away during that time........

(Later) Yes, it's on Oct. 24th 8:45am. You can send yourself an e-mail reminder (I did).

Edited by: Hibi on Sep 28, 2012 10:18 AM

> I was under the impresion that this film was scheduled for a TCM broadcast within the next few months. Am I correct, or has it been cancelled?

Tom,

It is still on the schedule. The 1929 version is scheduled for October 24th at 8:45 am (EST).

I think she did one more sound film called Jealousy but I'm not sure if it was completed or not. I remember someone saying she did a few silents. Not sure if those still exist (silents)

I cant believe her version is barely an hr. long. Must move along quickly!

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}I thought someone mentioned it was on next month? Someone said it's on early in the morning, (I remember that part!) Dunno WHY they would throw it away during that time........

'twas I, and I had *the exact same sentiments* as you with regard to the time slot. But I'll be up for it on the 24th no matter what. (The whole day is dedicated to Maugham adaptations, with the *excellent* Trio (1950) on later in the day and (I believe) we are spared another encore of The Razor's Edge.

Yeah, I dont get it. You'd think they'd want to showcase a premiere like this in prime time. They did this with Street Angel too a few years ago in Oscar month. At least they are showing it.

And that's good news on Razor's Edge! (LOL).......(seems like it's been on monthly lately).........

well, I only *recall* not seeing it on the schedule, it could be there for all I know (and with its length and the fact that they had to pay Fox for the rights so they may as well use it as much as they can, I'd understand if they did.)

The 1929 version of The Letter is a premiere? It's *never* been shown on TCM before?

F'reals?

It's really interesting to observe Herbert Marshall in the 1929 version as the lover and in the 1940 version as the husband. In the 29 version you see quite a bit of the lover, the movie doesn't begin with Leslie pumping the lover full of bullets. In the 29 version Marshall's character is living with a Chinese woman as his mistress. In the 40 version they make her his wife and make her Eurasian rather than Chinese.

Much of the dialog between the two versions is word for word the same, but the ending packs a powerful punch using the exact same words that the the 1940 version couldn't have under the code.

wow, sounds like a terrific film - now thatTCM is showing this pre-code hot film, how about that precode Mata Hari with Garbo in the see through negligee ( i do mean see through) making love to Ramon and several other rather risque scenes that have long been delited when the film was re-released in 1937 when the code said it had to be slashed from the 1932 original film - let us see some real special night at TCM and treat the long suffering folks who long to see the precode films before some of them were cleaned up! thanks again!

While I'm extremely appreciative that TCM is showing the Jeanne Eagles version (this will be one of the real treats of the year for me on this channel), I'm curious as to why they're broadcasting it in such an awkward time slot for so many people. All those viewers without recording devices are plum out of luck.

Sometimes I wonder if TCM programmers' realize the value that a lot of their viewers place on specific titles. This is a TCM premiere, fully deserving of a prime time slot, with an introduction.

Nevertheless, thanks a million to TCM for putting the 1929 version of The Letter on, at all. I don't mean to sound unappreciative by doing a bit of minor belly aching.

shootb1.jpg

NOW we'll finally get a chance to view what many say was a remarkable actress.

I do feel the need to tread softly into the room and just give a word of warning: you know how sometimes you can really, really, really, reeeeeeeeeeeally want to see something, and then you get the chance finally and you're all..."meh."

I've never seen the 1929 version of The Letter, and I'll be up at the crack of dawn on the 24th to see it, but I am remembering other times in me life where something I *really* wanted to see or experience was *finally* on and I sat and took it in and when all was said and done..."meh."

So I'm *not saying* "meh" is going to happen, but just know that "meh" *is always a possibility.* And forgive me, I just feel the need to remind you all that "meh" *can happen.*

(Maybe it's the graveyard time slot that makes me wonder if this is a bad print they're showing or something, but no? They never know what they're gonna be showing until whatever studio sends it so...that doesn't make sense.)

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Sep 29, 2012 8:26 AM

Yes, Addison, but I think a lot of movie buffs obviously appreciate TCM for giving us the opportunity to say either "Yahoo" or "Meh," or something in between, by their broadcast of a Constant Nymph or Story of Temple Drake or 1929 Letter.

To TCM itself, for showing these films, I say "Yahooooooo!!!"

To be honest with you, though, I've only ever seen ONE 1929 film that I really liked and would recommend to anybody, Bulldog Drummond, with Ronald Colman. I fully expect that after seeing The Letter, Bulldog Drummond will probably remain the one 1929 film that I really love.

1929, NOT a good year for filmmaking, for all the obvious sound device, do-we-really-have-to-anchor-the-camera-to-the-floor-like-this? reasons. Let's face it, William Wyler's direction for the 1940 remake, combined with James Wong Howe's fluid camera work, DOES make that moody film a somber masterpiece. I don't expect the 1929 film itself to stand up too well compared to Wyler's, but it will be interesting to compare the theatre-trained Eagles' performance to that of Bette Davis. (And it's a tough competition for Eagles, too, since I find it hard to think of many Davis performances that are quite as effective as this one - in fact, I can think of one, All About Eve).

*ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!*

Pardon my frustration but after making this original posting and expressing my gratitude to TCM for showing this film on October 24th it now appears that I wrote too soon. Those north of the 49th will once again be denied seeing that which American TCM viewers will be having access!

In casually looking through the Canadian schedule for that 8:45am time slot I now see that something called Right to Live is programmed for those in the land of the maple leaf. Once again, Canadian TCM viewers, the copyright gods, or whatever it is, have struck!

Pardon my venting but I had been reeeeally looking forward to this one. The curious thing is that this is the first Warners Archive release shown by TCM that I can think of that will NOT make it into Canada. Whether or not it's because the film is a Paramount, I don't know. Even then, I would wonder because any of the 30s Paramounts that TCM has shown before have also made it north of the border, for which I was very grateful.

For some inconceivable reason the Jeanne Eagles version of The Letter will apparently not, though, which really takes me by surprise.

So I repeat, once again, *ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHH!!!*

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings