Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone watch Carole Lombard's films for Mack Sennett?

VP19

The only one I was able to watch (because of other commitments) was "Smith's Pony," which I had never seen before. Carole was charming in a supporting role, but I really enjoyed Mary Ann Jackson as the daughter -- what fun! (Much of the film appeared rather dark; I suppose given the material on hand, that was the best it could be restored.)

Were the other Lombard two-reelers in improved condition? I'm familiar with "Run, Girl, Run" and "Matchmaking Mamma," both of which have appeared as extras on DVDs of "Nothing Sacred" and other public domain movies of Carole's. And I've never seen "His Unlucky Night"; can anyone tell me more about it.

Also, I have to take Ben Mankiewicz (whose grandfather wrote a few Lombard films in the early '30s and was a good friend of hers) to task for his comments prior to "Smith's Pony." While Lombard was an extra in a few films before joining Sennett, she played female leads in a few Fox westerns and one feature, "Marriage In Transit" (made in early 1925, before Carole was 16 1/2). Alas, none of those films survive today. (For more on "Marriage In Transit," where Lombard played leading lady to Edmund Lowe, visit http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/380067.html.) Also, is Carole a better-known Sennett-leading-lady-turned-future-star than Gloria Swanson? Lombard admired Swanson and they became close friends, and I think Carole probably would disagree with Ben's comment that she was the best-known Sennett bathing beauty of them all.

Sorry to say I haven't seen these films, but last night I saw *Virtue* for the first time (I bought the Columbia Pre-Code DVD Collection). Though I primarily love Lombard's later films, this wasn't such a bad movie. Interesting pre-code stuff - the scene where Jack LaRue viciously cuts Shirley Grey's leg to get at some money she has under her stocking, to where blood is running down her leg, and the scene where Lombard slaps Grey repeatedly (though I have to say it looked to me like Lombard was trying not to hit too hard, to her credit. :) )

> {quote:title=VP19 wrote:

> }{quote}The only one I was able to watch (because of other commitments) was "Smith's Pony," which I had never seen before. Carole was charming in a supporting role, but I really enjoyed Mary Ann Jackson as the daughter -- what fun! (Much of the film appeared rather dark; I suppose given the material on hand, that was the best it could be restored.)

>

> Were the other Lombard two-reelers in improved condition? I'm familiar with "Run, Girl, Run" and "Matchmaking Mamma," both of which have appeared as extras on DVDs of "Nothing Sacred" and other public domain movies of Carole's. And I've never seen "His Unlucky Night"; can anyone tell me more about it.

>

Sorry you had to miss the other films in which Carole Lombard appeared. As I'm sure you know, she didn't have a lot to do in some of them, but it's still always exciting to see her.

Knowing you're the "Carole Lombard guy" I wonder if you're aware of the film event called Capitolfest that's held every August at the historic 1928 Capitol Theater in Rome, NY.

Each year they try to focus on a certain star or studio and run as much rare stuff as possible (and all on 35mm!), with a good amount of silents along with early talkies. This past August the featured star was Warner Oland. In recernt years it was Jean Arthur and Janet Gaynor. The studios and archives (especially, it seems, MCA/Universal) have been very cooperative in providing much very rare material.

I mention Capitolfest because next year the featured star will be.....Carole Lombard! No titles are yet confirmed of course, but we can be sure there will be many hard-to-find films, probably a good number of her early 1930's Paramounts, and whatever rare silents can be acquired (with the exception of SHOW FOLKS, 1928, which was shown there a few years ago).

So, if you can make it, you may want to plan on it.

Here's the Capitolfest site:

http://www.romecapitol.com/capitolfest.html

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings