Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Election time 2012: Favorite Political Movies

filmlover

I'm starting this thread with a hope that we can list and discuss favorite political movies without us getting into shouting matches about the current elections. So, please, try to be politically correct. :)

I'll start with some of my favorites (not in any particular order):

1. Dave

2. The American President

3. All the President's Men

4. Seven Days in May

5. The Parallax View

6. JFK

7. The Candidate

And if I were to include TV series:

1. The West Wing

2. The Newsroom

3. The Governor & J.J.

And I'm surprised Capra's State of the Union isn't also on the list, especially considering how it so insightfully depicts all the little back deals a candidate must make in order to raise campaign funds...and THIS was YEARS before our "hallowed" Supreme Court made their latest boneheaded little ruling in this regard!

(...okay, rant over!)

LOL

Yeah, I kind of figured that, filmlover. However, whenever this topic is broached, I'm always somewhat amazed that the Capra film I mentioned seems little remembered. It, as you may have surmised, has always been one of my personal favorites of this genre.

Favorite political movie: *Wilson*, one of the great movies of all time, with a real old-fashioned many-balloted convention.

As a New Yorker, I have a soft spot for *Sunrise at Campobello*, particularly the final scene, when FDR stands at the podium to nominate Al Smith, while the best NYC song ever --"The Sidewalks of New York" -- is playing.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}I'm starting this thread with a hope that we can list and discuss favorite political movies without us getting into shouting matches about the current elections. So, please, try to be politically correct. :)

>

> I'll start with some of my favorites (not in any particular order):

>

> 1. Dave

> 2. The American President

> 3. All the President's Men

> 4. Seven Days in May

> 5. The Parallax View

> 6. JFK

> 7. The Candidate

>

> And if I were to include TV series:

> 1. The West Wing

> 2. The Newsroom

> 3. The Governor & J.J.

"The Governor & J.J"! Now that's one that has fallen off the face of the planet. At least there are a couple of youtube links to the intro. 1987 Showtime summer replacement show "Hard Knocks" has just flat disappeared in thin air - not a political show at all but starred a current political pundit, Bill Maher, in just about one of the worst TV shows I've ever seen.

I believe the best political movies were the narrow-guage films of the Prokino movement. It is sad to say we can only glimpse bits of them now as the government destroyed all which they found.

*Kino-Eye* (1924) is very much a political movie. You may watch a small part of it at:

http://youtu.be/gQSY6ynv4gU

The portion of this which begins at 0:50 explains why I take little interest in politics or governments:

The only strictly political movies I can remember that stand out are All The King's Men, Gabriel Over The White House and The Dark Horse. Never cared much for Mr. Smith, which was way too cornball and far-fetched for my taste, even though Rains and Arnold were their usual great self. There was another pretty good one where a prosecutor tried to frame an innocent man in order to further his political career, but I can't think of the name. It was shown on TCM within the past few months, came out in the 50's in B&W and I believe it was set in the American South. There are many great courtroom and social dramas with heavy political overtones, but I'd put them into a separate category.

AndyM108 wrote: There was another pretty good one where a prosecutor tried to frame an innocent man in order to further his political career, but I can't think of the name. It was shown on TCM within the past few months, came out in the 50's in B&W and I believe it was set in the American South. There are many great courtroom and social dramas with heavy political overtones, but I'd put them into a separate category.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy, I believe you're talking about 1961's A Fever in the Blood here, and yeah, I caught it for the first time a month or so back on TCM too, and yep, I also thought it was very well done.

(...disagree with ya though about Mr.Smith) ;)

_Movies_

Meet John Doe

Mr Smith Goes to Washington

Seven Days in May

The Manchurian Candidate

Advise and Consent

All the President's Men

Dave

Bob Roberts

Enron: the Smartest Guys in the Room

_Television_

The West Wing

The Newsroom

Benson

h5. and I will be putting Fair Game on my Netflix queue. I certainly followed that story in real time..

Edited by: casablancalover2 on Sep 28, 2012 6:20 PM for she forgot some important ones.

Two additional favorites:

*The Last Hurrah*, though between the lines, it's as much about the film industry as about politics;

*Every Day's a Holiday*, a great, lesser-known Mae West movie, which features Louis Armstrong leading a political parade.

Your list is great. May I comment on "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington?" I have Frank Capra's autobiography, and surprisingly, he said after the movie came out he was persona non grata anywhere near Congress. They were offended, miffed, furious at their depiction in the picture. Eventually they came around to where he was invited, but it was much later. To think, they said, of the president of the Senate winking at a visitor in the gallery! Capra was stunned at its reception. Everybody else loved it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings