Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Famous Movie Cats

sfpcc1

Awhile ago someone posted a thread on Asta, the Thin Man's dog. I want to go the other way on this thread. Who are some famous movie cats.

I can think of three:

*Pyewackett* who was the Siameese from Bell Book And Candle. (My mom has a Himalayan name after him. He mostly called Pi.)

*DC* from That Darned Cat, (both versions)

*Tonto* From Harry And Tonto.

> {quote:title=sfpcc1 wrote:}{quote}Awhile ago someone posted a thread on Asta, the Thin Man's dog. I want to go the other way on this thread. Who are some famous movie cats.

>

> I can think of three:

>

>

>

>

>

> *Pyewackett* who was the Siameese from Bell Book And Candle. (My mom has a Himalayan name after him. He mostly called Pi.)

>

>

>

>

>

> *DC* from That Darned Cat, (both versions)

>

>

>

>

>

> *Tonto* From Harry And Tonto.

>

Pussums the Cat from various Mack Sennett comedies and other films.

Madame Pussums was featured in last night's "Run, Girl, Run" from 1928 and she was one of the first users of the "feline method" style of acting:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3767616/

Edited by: RMeingast on Sep 28, 2012 6:45 PM

Wasn't there a Disney film starring Patrick Macgoohan, *The Three LIves of Thomasina* ? I saw it once as a kid ( ages ago :( ) and always wanted to see it again. I think the little girl in it- she's obsessed with this cat, Thomasina - might have been the same kid who played "Jane" in *Mary Poppins* .

...Also, bad guys in movies are for some reason always caressing a cat while they describe their evil plans, usually to the person they are hoping to kill soon.

Like, doesn't Kirk Douglas have a cat like that in *Out of the Past*?

And how about that villain in the first James Bond movie, he's always patting a white Persian cat.

But I realize these are not famous cats.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> And how about that villain in the first James Bond movie, he's always patting a white Persian cat.

>

> But I realize these are not famous cats.

Oh, I would say that Blofeld's cat in *You Only Live Twice* and in the later one *DIamonds Are Forever* ARE indeed famous cats. I think you're mistaken about "the first James Bond" movie...that was Dr. No, and what you described is Blofeld in the two later films.

Mr Jinx from The *Meet The Parents* and it's sequels

There's something I've always wondered about the cat or cats various villians are seen stroking. How did the find a feline that mellow and gentle to work with all those people. Most cats I've known were not lap cats.

Three horror-movie cats of note:

Karloff's cat in The Black Cat, that Bela Lugosi is terrified of;

The cat representing Bast, the Egyptian cat-goddess, in The Mummy;

And, most creepy of all, the cat in one of the stories in Torture Garden, that will lead you to valuable coins if you provide corpses for it to feast on.

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:

> }{quote}Also we should remember Top Cat and his band of alley comrades.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ...how about Snagglepuss and the Pink Panther? Hmm, maybe not - if we start recognizing the big cats we'll have to start including Bagheera and Shere Khan from The Jungle Book, or Scar and Simba from The Lion King. It'd never end. Probably best to leave the topic at housekitties.

>

Some of those are TV cats, not movie cats (which is what the thread was started for). But hey ANY cats are fine with me!

What about Sammy Davis Jr.? He was a cool cat who did some movies and worked with some other cats on stage and doing those "things" on TV.

Oh, you're actually meaning CATS.

So, it's come to this? There used to be threads about movie pioneers, groundbreaking actors, top-notch directors, breakthrough filming techniques and the like. And now? CATS.

To beat everyone to the punch, I'm mentioning BEN, just to head the RAT contigency off at the pass.

;)

Sepiatone

When I started this post I was just thinking about actual movie cats. Animated cats are okay but they didn't cross mind mind.

Nobody mentioned the Aristocats.

The idea for this post came from being at my moms house a lot these days to drop of work. Her cat Pyewackett, (or Pi) tends to run up to me and demands to be petted. The other cat Chang Soo, (AKA Smush) just sits and glowers.

I love cats. I don't mind dogs, I'm not one of those "Cat versus Dog" people, but I'd always choose having a cat over a dog as a pet.

I say this because, despite my affection for felines, I must admit that there are far more films featuring dogs than cats. I don't want this to turn into a "Famous Movie Dogs" thread ( unless we're just listing bad movies, but then we get into "turkeys" ), but when you think about it, there are many films about dogs, and very few about cats.

Cats tend to be used a lot as props. Somebody ( I've already suggested the "bad guy", but sometimes it's an attractive woman or a child, or some intellectual professor type...) will be holding and petting a cat, which is usually sitting on their lap, while they discuss some plan or idea pertinent to the movie.

Just thought of another scene like that : Vito Corleone, at the very beginning of the first "Godfather" movie, is stroking a cat as he listens to a petition from a man at his daughter's wedding.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings