Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Famous Movie Cats

Famous cats! Cats rock. Lots of great stuff mentioned already. One I didn't see was Cosmic Creepers (I seem to recall) from Bedknobs and Broomsticks:

bedknobs%2Band%2Bbroomsticks.JPG

Someone mentioned The Incredible Journey, but not the remake from the 90s that I greatly prefer (because that version was from my childhood--you know how it is). Pardon the dogs in this picture from Homeward Bound:

homeward-bound-cast.jpg

Someone did mention another Disney movie, The Three Lives of Thomasina:

Karen[iDotrice[/i]thomasina_338x350_072520080204.jpg]

I have to mention the cutest cat on earth, Harpo:

339_28020857687_7594_n.jpg

Great stuff, LonesomePolecat. (I assume he's named "Harpo" because

he plays the harp and never talks ?)

Cats in the movies have traditionally gotten a bad rap -- too often cast

as villains like Mr. Fluffy-poo in The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)

zz[ithe[/i]Incredible-Shrinking-Mancatindoorwaylarge.png]

If big cats count, two of my favorites as a kid were Clarence, the

Cross-Eyed Lion (1965) . . .

daktari-clarence-le-lion-qui-louche-clar

. . . and Elsa the lioness in Born Free (1966).

9cfc926b7040b69bc2be15eb020b5e6a.jpg

Another of my favorite cats (though only on TV, the feature-length movie

featured Lee Merriweather).

Untitled-24.jpg

Just thought of another cat from a noir: the cat that the young Martha Ivers ( who grows up to become Barbara Stanwyck) tries to protect from her nasty old aunt, in *The Strange Love of Martha Ivers*. As I recall ( could have the details wrong), there's some kind of struggle at the top of the stairs between Martha and the aunt, over the cat, whom the aunt wants to do away with.

Unfortunately it is the aunt who is done away with - maybe the cat, too, I don't remember.

( Funny, there was a struggle at the top of the stairs resulting in a murder investigation in last night's *Fallen Idol*. No cat, though. A snake, whom the nasty Mrs. Baines wanted to do away with. And did.)

I believe the scenes in James Bond and Austin Powers movies of villains stroking their cats derive from scenes in *Shinobi no mono* (1962).

Cats are significant in scenes in *The Case of the Black Cat* (1936), *The Cat Creeps* (1946) and *To Catch a Thief* (1955). A cat is an alternate persona in *Kuroneko* (1968).

I wish to also step aside again and I ask all pardon me if they feel it is off-topic. I know of sociopaths only by aiding in medical treatment for other diseases many years ago and by psychology courses necessary for my profession. I am not holding forth as an expert. I have not see the Ladd movie for many years and I meant only to extrapolate what might have been the basis of his behaviour as it was presented by others. I did not mean to imply his character was by necessity a sociopath.

There is a movie of which I remember little but that near the ending a black cat came out from behind red curtains and there was a suggestion that it was a woman who was able to transform herself.

I believe most horror movies have a cat in at the very least a cameo or in the background of a scene.

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}

> The tagline for that one is "cats aren't always cute and cuddly".

> Are so.

I believe cats have the native intelligence to know that if they spit and hiss that people will be on their guard and not let them close.

They know also that when they appear cute and cuddly that they will be welcomed into a position where their claws can easily reach a jugular vein.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}...

>

> They know also that when they appear cute and cuddly that they will be welcomed into a position where their claws can easily reach a jugular vein.

>

SansFin, baby, I'm beginning to think maybe you're not a big cat fan.

a.aaa-Cute-sad-cat-look.jpg

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I'm beginning to think maybe you're not a big cat fan.

I love cats very much. I believe I would not prize them as highly if they were not dangerous.

cat019.jpg

This is the cat in *Kuroneko* (1968).

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}One cat starred in two films ten years apart? What other animal had such film longevity?

Read RMeingast's post about Pepper the cat, who started in film in 1912, and her last role was in 1928. That's amazing.

> {quote:title=RMeingast wrote:}{quote}

>

> Guess the alleged first feline superstar in films was Pepper the Cat....

>

> To quote from the blog:

> Pepper was born under a sound stage in 1912 and as a kitten wondered onto the set of one of Max Sennet's silent Keystone Cop films. Max liked what he saw and a star was born.

>

Almost 90 Mack Sennett films just shown on TCM and somebody misspells both his first AND last names?! :0

And I have to wonder how a kitten "wonders" onto a set... ?:|

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> >

> > To quote from the blog:

> > Pepper was born under a sound stage in 1912 and as a kitten wondered onto the set of one of Max Sennet's silent Keystone Cop films. Max liked what he saw and a star was born.

> >

> >

> Almost 90 Mack Sennett films just shown on TCM and somebody misspells both his first AND last names?! :0

>

> And I have to wonder how a kitten "wonders" onto a set... ?:|

Me no write that blog... Just quoted it... Go and check it out for yourself to see who wrote it (I think I added the link in my post below?)??

Maybe it was a modern-day relative of Pepper the Cat???

In that case, a feline can be forgiven for not knowing how to spell. ;)

Here's a weird one... "Tho some interesting trivia...

This 1967 Brit film was titled "Deadlier Than the Male," but in Krautspeak the title is "Heisse Katzen" which roughly translates as "Hot Cats" or "Wild Cats" (direct translation is "They Call Them Cats")... Don't think there are any actual felines in the film except for the catty women...

Funny poster... Notice it says that Quentin Tarantino regards this as one of his best loved films.

(The poster is also signed by Elke Sommer from the site I "borrowed" it from for here...)

Anyway, read about this film here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlier_Than_the_Male

The male star of this flick, Richard Johnson, was originally intended to play James Bond, rather than the guy who got the role, Sean Connery.

29266.jpg

Edited by: RMeingast on Oct 1, 2012 10:10 AM

> {quote:title=RMeingast wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > > To quote from the blog:

> > > Pepper was born under a sound stage in 1912 and as a kitten wondered onto the set of one of Max Sennet's silent Keystone Cop films. Max liked what he saw and a star was born.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > Almost 90 Mack Sennett films just shown on TCM and somebody misspells both his first AND last names?! :0

> >

> > And I have to wonder how a kitten "wonders" onto a set... ?:|

> > Me no write that blog... Just quoted it...

Yes, I knew it wasn't you who wrote it...that's why I made sure to leave in the line "To quote from the blog". I knew you weren't to blame!

But it was very interesting info about Pepper the cat and I thank you for posting it. :)