Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cujas

Keep Calm & Carry On--The British Are Coming!

One of my favorite British actors starred with Julie Christie in two films. Please name the actor and if possible the two films.

Marsha, I'm sorry to say that I had forgotten all about this actor. When I was in college, I saw dr. Zhivago and I thought he was one of the best actors in the movies.

that would be Tom Courtenay who played Pasha in Doctor Zhivago

And I also do remember the British art film with Julie Christie, Billy Liar

Princess of Tap - Good guess - but it's not the actor I'm thinking about.

Hint:  One of the films stars two other great British actors. I hope this helps you. 

Marsha- - that might not be what you were thinking of but I did answer the question correctly.

Unfortunately it's not within my power to read your mind as to who your favorite actor is.

Princess of Tap - You're absolutely right. And your answers were correct. We can't read each other's mind. For the record, I was thinking about Alan Bates in The Go-Between and Far From The Madding Crowd. By the way, I appreciate your comments as I do everyone's comments which I find very helpful when participating in these Trivia Games. It's fun and that's why I play. 

It's your turn now.

Marsha, Alan Bates is certainly another great British actor who has just slipped under the radar.

Next:She started in Hollywood with James Whale and ended her film career with Billy Wilder. Can you name her and the movies?

Princess of Tap,

I'll say Elsa Lanchester in Frankenstein and Witness For the Prosecution. Is this correct?

Yes, Miles-- she was James Whale's favorite and had her first major American screen role in The Invisible Man. And she was a standout in Billy Wilder's witness for the prosecution. She performed the same role on the stage for Agatha Christie. Sadly this was to be her last film appearance.

Well miles, pip pip cheerio carry on - -

Thanks.  This Brit came to America with a traveling British music hall revue that included Charlie Chaplin.  A few years later, he returned and became a film actor in short comedies.  His early training doing pantomime and physical gags were perfect for silent movies at that time.  A few years later he was a writer and director, but circumstances occurred which allowed him to return to the screen.  He continued to work with the writers, as well as becoming a top comedy star.  He successfully made the transition to sound films and became world famous.  Who is he?  

miles, this is a good question. I always knew that Stan Laurel came over as Charlie Chaplin's understudy, but very few people ever mention it. Apparently he was the senior one in the duo, having the talents that he had for direction and writing.

In France Laurel and Hardy or as revered as Charlie Chaplin and Jerry Lewis. I don't think people realize that in the United States

Yes, it's Stan Laurel.  His father was a theater manager and he grew up around stage performers.  Once Stan teamed with Oliver Hardy in 1928, he never worked in a film without him.  You're up next, Princess.  

This actor was another favorite of director James Whale.

A renowned English stage actor, he was born into the aristocracy.

He appeared on the London stage and on Broadway with Katharine Hepburn.

The movies he made with Whale are fan favorites but he also appeared in other films during his long career.

Any takers on this one?

Princess,

I really had to research this and I came up with Nicholas Joy who played Seth Lord on stage in The Philadelphia Story starring Katharine Hepburn, Joseph Cotton, and Van Heflin.

Is this correct?

Nicholas joy is not the answer to my question.

However if you can prove that he fits the criteria that I gave forward then you can have question.

So I would ask you to name the films that he was in with James Whale as director.

And some information about his aristocratic background will also be useful here, as well as his place on the English stage.

So far the only part you've answered is that he was on Broadway with Katharine Hepburn.

So, Marsha has first dibs on this one--

Sorry, Princess, I could not find any movies Nicholas Joy made with James Whale.....so this thread is still open.

And the question is still on--

You can check the question out below but in summary it is - -

another james whale favorite

Renown stage actor in England and from the English aristocracy

Appeared on Broadway with Katharine Hepburn