Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cujas

Keep Calm & Carry On--The British Are Coming!

Arsan-- we have here indeed 2 correct answers for this question

Colin Clive - - is your answer. he fits all the criteria

Ernest Thesiger-- my answer fits all the criteria

(He appeaed in as you like it on Broadway with Katharine Hepburn

But the reason we're talking about either one of them is James Whale.

Happily for us, they both came together as an odd couple in the Bride of Frankenstein. Colin Clive as the legendary Dr. Frankenstein. And Ernest Thesiger as the notorious Dr. Pretorius.

Arsan, as the Brits would say, well played-- you are up

I was merely pointing out that Colin Clive and Katharine Hepburn appeared together on Broadway. Film Lover was the first to mention Colin Clive in his answer, so the thread should be his.

I have to remember to put on my glasses- -

But Arsan, when I saw your name I simply assumed that you were trying to answer the question as well

Well played film lover it's all yours--

• Like 1

Film lover - right now all I can think of is "The Sea Hawk" directed by Michael Curtiz in 1940 and "Destination Tokyo" directed by Delmer Daves in 1943.

MarshaKatz--Good guesses but incorrect.

MilesArcher--You are correct.  I referred to it as a "disaster" film because it had a disastrous effect on director James Whales' career.  He made one more film after Green Hell and then retired from film.  I should have been clearer in my original question.  Sorry if I caused confusion to anyone.  It's your thread Miles. :)

So it was a disaster of a film.  

Now, this handsome actor appeared in a few British films before coming to Hollywood in the early 1930s.  At first, he played small roles and second leads in movies with Bing Crosby, Burns and Allen, Carol Lombard, and George Raft.  He was even in a Charlie Chan movie.  Gradually, he was given starring roles and eventually won a best actor Oscar.  Much like Cary Grant, he often played Americans, and his accent was never questioned.  He had a long career that lasted into the 1980s.  Who is he?  

It sounds like it could be David Niven, but it's not.  I don't believe that David was ever in a movie with Burns and Allen.  The actor that I am looking for was originally from Wales. 

Yes, it's Ray Milland.  I don't know if he even knew Fred Astaire.  In his early career, Milland was in a few comedies with the likes of Burns and Allen and Bing Crosby.  He was in "Bolero" with George Raft and Carol Lombard.  He was also in "Charlie Chan in London".  He played Bulldog Drummond in a movie seen on TCM a few months ago.  Of course, he was an Oscar winner for "The Lost Weekend".  By the way, he also holds another distinction.  He won a fist fight against John Wayne in "Reap The Wild Wind", which didn't happen to the Duke in many movies.  I few years ago we had a young teenage girl who posted regularly on these message boards.   Her screen name was "I Love Ray Milland".  OK, Shutoo, you're next.  Make it a good one. 

A lot of pressure...let's try this...

This English born actress was an early bloomer--beauty pageants at 13, and her first bit parts at 16. Even as a child she wanted Hollywood fame..but achieved only small roles in American films despite her popularity in Britain. In fact, Americans are more familiar with her second husband (and not for his movie work).

It is Diana Dors..I guess I was thinking of her because I saw her in a Hitchcock presents last week on hulu...her second husband, Richard Dawson, is probably known best as the kissing game show host. Dors evidently was the 'Marilyn Monroe of England' because of her beauty, but was a pretty good actress.

MilesArcher is up!

An actress who was born in England and worked primarily in England, was the daughter of a British actress mother and a non-British actor father.  Her father was a well known stage and movie star who had been Oscar nominated.  The daughter once played a murder victim in a Hitchcock thriller.  Do you know who she is? 

This British actor is known primarily for British TV. He's internationally famous for British TV series where he plays detectives.

But he got his start in a movie starring Rat Packers and directed by a Hollywood comic icon.

These Hollywood Giants hired the British actor because they made the film in England.

Can you name all the participants? And of course, the name of the movie--

Sounds like one of my favorite detectives, Tom Barnaby..John Nettles when he isn't in Midsomer Murders. He was directed by Jerry Lewis in One More Time (which I've never seen, but know his co-stars were Peter Lawford and Sammy Davis Jr.) I watched every episode of MM he was in on netflix..until the season he left..just wasn't the same after that..

Shutoo-- this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

Tom Barnaby is the best detective I've ever seen. It's not often you get a police detective who quotes Shakespeare while he's looking at a dead body. the guy who followed him was pretty good but he wasn't a Shakespearean actor.

Thanks for answering that because it was a little out there - - Rat Packers and all.

SHUTOO-- take it away!