Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cujas

Keep Calm & Carry On--The British Are Coming!

This next actor was born in a British protectorate and is closely associated with West End musical productions.

I saw him perform the starring role in an original West End production of an iconic musical that he continued to do revivals of for decades in London.

The millennium saw him still on the West End stage performing in another iconic musical.

Can you name this musical performer-actor and the legendary role that he owns in the musical comedy world?

Is the actor Chaim Topol who played the part of Tevye in the original West West End production of "Fiddler On The Roof" and recreated the part in the 1971 movie adaptation?

Is the actor Chaim Topol who played the part of Tevye in the original West West End production of "Fiddler On The Roof" and recreated the part in the 1971 movie adaptation?

I was wondering about him -- I saw him in London as well. But the clue says he "owns the role in the musical comedy world," and I think the role of Tevye will always belong to Zero Mostel. We'll await the Princess' reply.

Swithin, I agree with you about Zero Mostel as owning the role of Tevye in Fiddler On The Roof. The only other actor I could come up with would be Ron Moody as Fagin in the West End production of Oliver and the same role in the movie.

Princess is "the authority" on all things tap and musical. We'll await her response.

Swithin, I agree with you about Zero Mostel as owning the role of Tevye in Fiddler On The Roof. The only other actor I could come up with would be Ron Moody as Fagin in the West End production of Oliver and the same role in the movie.

Princess is "the authority" on all things tap and musical. We'll await her response.

I sat next to Sheldon Harnick at a dinner recently. He seems to like the current production of Fiddler very much, although I was skeptical about Danny Burstein, who plays the lead (I haven't seen it). Sheldon is a great fan of Alfred Molina who played Tevya in the last Broadway revival (2004), but Sheldon said that the English director, David Levaux, restrained Molina too much. Topol played Tevya for seven months, in one of the many Broadway revivals of the show. 

Swithin, I saw Danny Burstein as "Billis" in the revival of "South Pacific" at Lincoln Center with Kelly O'Hara and he was wonderful as was the entire production. So I think he would make an excellent Tevye. As for Alfred Molina, I saw him in the 2004 production of Fiddler On The Roof, and Mr. Harnick is correct that Mr. Molina's performance was "held back". You could sense that he wanted to really give more but was constrained and as per your conversation with Sheldon Harnick, the direction of this production was not good. I'm a big fan of Alfred Molina - so perhaps he could come back in another production of Fiddler that would match his great acting ability. Still, I saw Fiddler with Zero Mostel four times - two times during the original Broadway cast production and twice during the revival. He's the master in this role. I was truly disappointed when he was not cast as Tevye in the movie.

Swithin, I saw Danny Burstein as "Billis" in the revival of "South Pacific" at Lincoln Center with Kelly O'Hara and he was wonderful as was the entire production. So I think he would make an excellent Tevye. As for Alfred Molina, I saw him in the 2004 production of Fiddler On The Roof, and Mr. Harnick is correct that Mr. Molina's performance was "held back". You could sense that he wanted to really give more but was constrained and as per your conversation with Sheldon Harnick, the direction of this production was not good. I'm a big fan of Alfred Molina - so perhaps he could come back in another production of Fiddler that would match his great acting ability. Still, I saw Fiddler with Zero Mostel four times - two times during the original Broadway cast production and twice during the revival. He's the master in this role. I was truly disappointed when he was not cast as Tevye in the movie.

I saw Burstein as Billis -- not sure I was wild about that performance, though I loved the production! (As I do the current LCT production of The King and I). You echo exactly what Sheldon said about Molina -- he really wanted to give more but the director wouldn't let him. Yes, Zero is the master, I saw him as Tevye as well. The first show I ever saw on B'way, as a kid, was A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Loved it -- though Zero had left to get ready for Tevye. The role was played by Dick Shawn, who was great, and some of the other originals, like Jack Gilford, were still in the cast.

Swithin, BTW, I knew Dick Shawn, who was as funny in person as he was on screen and on stage, and who was extremely nice. He was a resident in one of the buildings managed by the real state management company I worked for in Manhattan. He would come into the management office where I worked quite often and was a delightful fellow. One of my favorite roles is his performance as "LSD" in the movie "The Producers".

• Like 1

Marsha, you're correct. TOPOL has played the role of Tevye more than 3500 times. He started at the age of 30 and now he's 80 and he is still playing the role. This year Israel issued a commemorative stamp featuring TOPOL as Tevye for the 50th anniversary of the musical's debut.

TOPOL has been nominated for an Oscar and a Tony for the role of Tevye.

I saw TOPOL in the West End in London in fiddler on the roof, as Tevye. And he did it in many revivals there as well; also he played the role in the movie. He did the revival on Broadway. And he did a farewell tour in the United States as well. He also played the role in European, Japanese and Australian tours.

I think he owns the role.

Plus, the the question also stated that the performer was born in the British protectorate-- which was Israel at the time of Topol's birth.

Marsha - - this is from another thread but I am so thrilled that you saw Lucy in person. That's something you can always remember.

Marsha, as the British would say, soldier on--

Thanks, Princess. (BTW - Wildcat starring Lucille Ball was the 4th Broadway musical I saw and I've never forgotten that evening in the theater. After the show, Lucy came out and stood alone on the stage, the orchestra began to play, and Miss Ball did one the best "bump and grind" numbers I've yet to see. This was a night for the ages.)

Okay, here's my thread.

This British actor rarely gives interviews and is very mum about his personal life. His career includes stage, film, and TV. No matter the part or medium, he stands out and you can't help but remember his performance.

The first time I saw him was on PBS Masterpiece Theater in a British mini-series in which he portrayed a doctor who was the most obnoxious, conceited, annoying, conniving, and self-centered individual - but you adored him and I was hooked. As a member of the RSC he's played Mercutio and Iago and played opposite Sirs John Gielgud and Ralph Richardson in Harold Pinter's "No Man's Land". His film roles include two Bond films in which he played the recurring role of Bill Tanner. 

Accomplished in every phase of acting, he will however always be remembered for the character he created on a British TV series which takes place on the home front during World War II.

Name this British actor, name the British TV series and the indelible character he created in this series.

Michael Kitchen played Dr. Richard Crane on Reckless.  Kitchen gave one of the most sensitive performances on screen, in Out of Africa. I saw him on stage many times, as Bolingbroke in the RSC's Richard II (to Jeremy Irons' Richard); as William Hogarth in The Art of Success, and many other plays. Great, versatile actor. And of course he plays Foyle in Foyle's War.

I saw Gielgud and Richardson in No Man's Land on stage, but Kitchen was not in that production. I did see the RSC production of Romeo and Juliet, in which Michael Kitchen played Mercutio, at the Barbican in 1987.

Swithin, You're absolutely correct.

Michael Kitchen is the embodiment of "an actor's actor". I'm also remembered by his wonderful performance as The King in "To Play The King" the second installment of the British TV serial trilogy "House of Cards", which is one of my favorite series on PBS Masterpiece Theater which starred the great Ian Richardson.

The thread is yours.

This English actress has had a long career in theater, film, and television, including major roles in two early Masterpiece Theater series. On stage, she has appeared in new plays as well as the classics. I saw her play Hermione in Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale; and ten years later, I saw her play Paulina in the same play. She has appeared in major films, in recent years, sometimes playing mothers. She is one of the many English actors who have appeared in Harry Potter films.

Her father was a major presence in older English films and on stage, but I don't think he ever went to Hollywood. He continued acting, in smaller parts on stage, until he was 90. He died at age 97.

Name the actress; the two early Masterpiece Theater series; two of the more recent (i.e. post-1990) films in which she played mothers; and name her father.

Swithin,

I believe this is the wonderful actress Gemma Jones, whose father was the great English actor Griffith Jones.

Gemma Jones starred in the BBC series "The Duchess of Duke Street Parts I and II" and an earlier BBC series called "The Spoils of Poynton" both televised on Masterpiece Theater.  Films post 1990 in which Miss Jones played mothers are "The Winslow Boy",  "Bridget Jones's Diary", and "You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger".

Swithin,

I believe this is the wonderful actress Gemma Jones, whose father was the great English actor Griffith Jones.

Gemma Jones starred in the BBC series "The Duchess of Duke Street Parts I and II" and an earlier BBC series called "The Spoils of Poynton" both televised on Masterpiece Theater.  Films post 1990 in which Miss Jones played mothers are "The Winslow Boy",  "Bridget Jones's Diary", and "You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger".

It is indeed Gemma Jones, Marsha. I saw her most recently as Mrs. Malaprop in The Rivals. She was great as always. Another mother she played on screen was Mrs. Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility.

The thread is yours!

Thanks, Swithin,

The moment I saw this actress in a TV series I wanted to look just like her. Without a doubt the most sexy, fierce, strong female character I'd ever seen. She's won a BAFTA, a Tony, and an Emmy. She became a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company very early in her career, a career in which she easily moves from stage to film to TV with the greatest of ease providing us with performance after performance of the highest caliber. She received her Emmy Award for playing perhaps the most indelible character created by Daphne Du Maurier.  As Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote "There Is Nothing Like A Dame" and this actress was made one in 1994.

Name the actress, the name of the iconic TV character she portrayed, the name of the TV series, and the role for which she won an Emmy Award.

Thanks, Swithin,

The moment I saw this actress in a TV series I wanted to look just like her. Without a doubt the most sexy, fierce, strong female character I'd ever seen. She's won a BAFTA, a Tony, and an Emmy. She became a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company very early in her career, a career in which she easily moves from stage to film to TV with the greatest of ease providing us with performance after performance of the highest caliber. She received her Emmy Award for playing perhaps the most indelible character created by Daphne Du Maurier.  As Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote "There Is Nothing Like A Dame" and this actress was made one in 1994.

Name the actress, the name of the iconic TV character she portrayed, the name of the TV series, and the role for which she won an Emmy Award.

Well, Diana Rigg played Mrs. Danvers in Rebecca (which I did not see), and won an Emmy for her performance. (I did love her in Bleak House, though).  She played Emma Peel in The Avengers. I've seen her on stage as Medea, Martha in Virginia Woolf, and as Eliza Doolittle in Pygmalion. Possibly also in The Misanthrope.

This Dame may not be a household name today, but she was hugely popular on stage in London and the rest of the UK for decades, performing for much of the time with her husband.

She came to my attention in my youth, when I went to my local movie theater in NYC, to see a rather bleak but excellent black-and-white British film, in which she played a rather remarkable supporting role -- extremely dramatic, though she did sing. (The lead actress in the film was nominated for an Oscar.) I was so impressed with this woman, in my tender years, that I went to see her in a play in London on an early trip there. The play was called Move Over Mrs. Markham.

Who is the actress in question? What film am I referring to? What very popular (to Brits) British song did she sing in the film?

This legendary British director's first solid success came with a film starring a British actor, who was already a famous music composer.

We need: the director, the movie & the actor/composer.

This legendary British director's first solid success came with a film starring a British actor, who was already a famous music composer.

We need: the director, the movie & the actor/composer.

Is it David Lean, "In Which We Serve" and Noel Coward?

Marsha- - I do believe that David Lean may be your favorite director?

As the old saying goes, I was thinking of somebody else. But you're absolutely right on all counts!

Marsha take a bow and take a turn- -