Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cujas

Keep Calm & Carry On--The British Are Coming!

Thanks, Princess. (Yes, I am a big fan of David Lean especially those films prior to his epics. Great Expectations and Hobson's Choice are two particular favorites.)

This British actress had her breakthrough role in 1963 for which she earned a BAFTA nomination and in 1965 won an Academy Award for Best Actress. During the decade of the 1960's she became an icon of "swinging mod London" and worked with a host of international directors and actors.

Name the actress. the name of the movie which became her breakthrough role, and the name of the movie for which she won an Academy Award for Best Actress.

This British singer is in the top rung of singers who are renowned for performing movie theme songs.

Having sold over 135 million records, the singer is well known all over the world.

Other honors include --

KBE/DBE-- knighthood/damehood bestowed by the Queen of the United Kingdom

Légion d'Honneur-- bestowed by the President of France

The Grammy Hall of Fame

The singer is a current day performer.

Who is this British icon?

Marsha, I have only one thing to say to you-- Goldfinger!

That's the one and only Shirley Bassey!

Every time I went to London I would buy her records. If you haven't heard it, she did a great Carnegie Hall live.

And it's great that I've got this category here that's British because she's from Wales.

Marsha, you're up--

Thanks, Princess.

As Oscar Hammerstein II so eloquently wrote "There is nothing like a dame, nothing in the world. There is nothing you can name that is anything like a dame." Those words aptly describe this formidable English performer known for her jazz and popular singing and acting and especially for her incredible musical range.

She became a professional singer during her mid twenties when she auditioned for a band led by a musician/composer, whom she later married and their relationship both personal and professional lasted over 50 years.

Her relationship with musical theater started in Britain and continued in the U.S. with starring performances in Stephen Sondheim's "A Little Night Music" and "The Merry Widow" along with starring as the Witch in Sondheim's "Into The Woods" in Los Angeles. She originated the role of Princess Puffer in the Broadway musical "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" for which she was nominated for a Tony Award.

She was made a Dame Commander in 1997 (DBE) and her husband was made a Knight Bachelor in 2006, becoming the only Jazz couple to be accorded this honor.

But it is her voice which takes your breath away, with her four octave range, vocal adaptability and vocal interpretive style. Her talent is enormous and she is truly one of a kind and an international treasure.

And of course, Cleo Laine was married to musician John Dankworth for many years until his death.

Now, this English actor came to the us as a juvenile and appeared in several movies with Mickey Rooney.  In the forties, he played horse grooms in two well known movies about horses.  He also is credited with delivering famous last lines in two memorable movies.  He appeared sporadically in movies and TV shows in the fifties and sixties, devoting much of his time then to stage work.  Do you know him?

I believe the actor is Terry Kilburn. He portrayed grooms in the two 40's horse films "National Velvet" and "Black Beauty" and his famous last lines came in "A Christmas Carol" (MGM's version in 1938) "God Bless Us Everyone" and in "Goodbye Mr. Chips" starring Robert Donat (1939) where he said "Goodbye Mr. Chips".

This British actor claims that he became an actor because he liked the lifestyle. Particularly he liked the lifestyle of Richard Burton.

That's not  a great recommendation considering his alcoholism.

I'll guess Peter O'Toole?

Hint#2--This British actor who idolized Richard Burton is very much alive today and still making movies.

Mr Reed regrets that he will no longer be appearing in this part of the thread.

He offers apologies & a friendly fist fight to all concerned.

Anthony Hopkins?

• Like 1

Well, Limey, You soldiered on and got the correct answer.

Apparently Mr. Hopkins as well as Mr. Burton are from Wales.

And the way he told it was that he was around the old neighborhood and he saw the kind of lifestyle that Richard Burton had from acting-- beautiful blonde wife and a very fast and expensive sports car. Immediately Hopkins decided that was the life for him.

And he's done pretty good at it, hasn't he?

PS- - from what I remember of Oliver! I'm still scared to hear Mr. Reed's name. I know he's a good actor but I'm not so convinced he was acting in that movie. It sure did look real to me.

• Like 1